Can I go straight into PHP?

Permabanned
Joined
28 Feb 2006
Posts
1,604
Hi,
I do not have any previous knowledge of any programming to be honest, and just wondering If I could go straight into learning PHP? Is it difficult, anything worth learning before PHP

Thanks
 
Joined
12 Feb 2006
Posts
17,220
Location
Surrey
sjohal2006 said:
Hi,
I do not have any previous knowledge of any programming to be honest, and just wondering If I could go straight into learning PHP? Is it difficult, anything worth learning before PHP

Thanks

no in my opinion, but yeah kind of. There are many php scripts written that need no or very little change to it that you can use php almost straight away without knowing it. Thats kind of what i did though i already knew html and had read a few php tutorials but then i used examples that had great comments and read how they worked learning it. It all depends on what you want to do with php, if you just want to go straight into using sometinhg like a contact form then you shouldn't have loads of problems.
 
Associate
Joined
5 Jan 2003
Posts
752
Location
Norfolk
Just use common sense, read up on html first, I'm presuming your using it in a web environment or else whats the point in it being php.

Have a look at http://www.w3schools.com/ Start with HTML then progress onto PHP. You might need to familarise yourself with what an array/vector/hash is as well as ints floats and doubles, and loops (for, do while, etc....).
Just do a google search or look on wiki.

php.net should be your first point of call for trying to find help relating to php, and its associated functions.

Once you've progressed and are happy then have a look at intergrating it with sql.

G'luck.

p.s. dabbling and taking code apart and seeing what it does is often better than just reading from a book... ;)
 
Soldato
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
3,015
Do you have an understanding of databases? If not, just learning SQL won't be enough.

PHP isn't a hard language to learn provided you understand the things it interacts with.
 
Associate
Joined
5 Jan 2003
Posts
752
Location
Norfolk
punky_munky said:
Do you have an understanding of databases? If not, just learning SQL won't be enough.

Slightly pedantic there, of course you'd have to know about databases, else whats the point in sql....
One of PHP's strengths is integrating with databases, hence the natural progression for a learner.... ;)
 
Soldato
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
3,015
ChrisB said:
Slightly pedantic there, of course you'd have to know about databases, else whats the point in sql....
One of PHP's strengths is integrating with databases, hence the natural progression for a learner.... ;)

Well you can quite happily fiddle around with a single table and not learn much. I think to learn how databases work properly (normalisation and that) takes a fair bit of time.
 
Back
Top Bottom