Can i leave my car parked on the road with no MOT?

Associate
Vehicle has tax and insurance but wont be using til i drive the mot garage.

have googled but didnt seem to get a definite answer

thanks

law would suggest yes

but what are the chances that somebody is going to drive down your street in a police car and put the numberplate through the system ?

its possible, but only you know if its worth running the risk.

law would suggest yes

but what are the chances that somebody is going to drive down your street in a police car and put the numberplate through the system ?

i dont think it would matter anyway, as far as i know, its only illegal to drive without an MOT, so as long as its taxed and insured its perfectly entitled to sit on the road.

Maybe worth giving the local cop shop a quick phone to check?

I say the answer is NO. But I could be wrong. I mean what if the handbrake failed (thats an MOT fail), and potentially your car could roll down the street. But then again i'm no expert.

While it may not be legal to drive a car on the road without an MOT, you will only get penalised for it being on the road with no tax, and I think no insurance (someone will clarify). Renewing the tax without an MOT is the point at which having no MOT becomes an issue.

Torch [P4];14048839 said:
wouldnt the insurance be invalid without an MOT ?

If you drove the car, yes. Just sitting on the road, i dont think you even need insurance, although the rules have changed recently so I cant be sure, but we have had an uninsured and no MOT car sat outside ours for a month with no issues. It is still Taxed.

If a car has Tax, it can have nothing else i.e. MOT or Insurance as long as it is not driven on a public highway this as far as I'm aware, excludes parking on the public highway. :)

Edit: Thats as clear as mud! :o

law would suggest yes

the police use anpr cameras to check plates plus if a car hits yours your insurance company would most likely use the no mot to void your insurance as it has no mot it is not regarded as roadworthy so shouldn't be on the road

its just parked up though. You dont need your car to be roadworthy for it just to be parked up.

The only possible problem would be if some joy rider or similar plowed into his car and wrote it off

In that instance, hes not going to be able to claim off the other persons insurance because the cars stolen by a TWOCer and he'd have to claim from his own anyway. In this instance, hes not going to want to claim on his insurance as he'll lose his NCB

Of if the other person does have insurance and its a drunk driver or just a crap driver, then he can claim off their insurance as they will obviously be at fault.

Last edited:
its just parked up though. You dont need your car to be roadworthy for it just to be parked up.

I was under the impression you required insurance and MOT to have the car on a public road. That includes driving and parking but no linkage to back it up due to being too lazy to look. :p

Going to set us straight then? Excluding the 'driving to or from an MOT testing centre' clause...

Re no MOT invalidating Insurance; Because of section 148 RTA 1988
as to condition of the vehicle, Insurance Companies cannot invalidate a certificate issued as far as making it a criminal offence i.e. to use without Insurance (S145). This does not not however prevent them from taking action to recover certain costs under the civil law.

If a car has Tax, it can have nothing else i.e. MOT or Insurance as long as it is not driven on a public highway this as far as I'm aware, excludes parking on the public highway. :)

Edit: Thats as clear as mud! :o

You definitely need insurance to park in any area covered on the RTA (e.g. highways and publicly accessible roads). However, I'm sure about the MOT requirements, is parking the same as "using" in the eyes of the law?

surely the point is you can't park the car on the road unless its unsured and you can't insure without a valid MOT?

you only need an insurance certificate to keep the cops off your back if its just parked up.

The only possible danger it could come into is if somebody else has a fault impact with you.

In which case you either claim the costs off them, or do nothing with the insurance as you'll loose your no claims.

You definitely need insurance to park in any area covered on the RTA (e.g. highways and publicly accessible roads). However, I'm sure about the MOT requirements, is parking the same as "using" in the eyes of the law?

I'm not so sure about this - many HGV trailers are left at the side of the road but they themselves are not usually covered by an insurance policy as such - usually the trailer is covered for use under the road traffic act when its coupled to its pulling tractor unit, which is itself insured.

Trailers do however have MOT's independantly of the tractor unit and it must have a valid MOT to have been left on the public highway.

Hence me thinking Insurance is not legally required just to leave a vehicle / trailer - as long as its taxed & tested - parked up.

Back
Top Bottom