Can I recycle any of this Hardware???

Associate
So I have an ancient gaming rig from around 2011 that someone built for me. I am looking to build my first 'budget' gaming pc and was wondering whether any of these parts from the old pc could be recycled or binned? (or even flogged online) Here's the list,
-AMD Phenom ii X6 1090T Black Edition
-MSI military class 870A fuzion
-XFX Radeon HD 5830
-Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 (these are running crossfire.)
-4x Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 4096mb 1600MHz
-Coolmaster cpu fan (sorry don't know exact model)
-Super Ritemaster DVD Writer
Western Digital 640gb hardrive
2x iCute case fans
Thanks in advance.

Soldato
What would be your budget regardless if you could make extra cash on selling items ?
Always base of that, then if you can sell or search item sell price then you can factor it in afterwards :)

Always do worst case and the crew on here will be able to assist

Associate
OP
Thanks guys appreciate the advice, I'm thinking Ryzen 3 2200g build, but also seen some decent Intel g4560 builds aswell so torn between the two? (also pointing out I'm a complete novice who's done a little bit of research)

Man of Honour
2200g performance is below the g4560 + gt1030 combo.
platform costs are about the same (as you'll need to use fast ram for the 2200g)

but what you'll get from the 2200g is platform longevity, whereas the g4560 is deadend.
(also 2200g is a true quad core, whereas g4560 is dualcore + hyperthreading)

ERU

ERU

Associate
If on a gaming budget, go for a Ryzen 1600 ( £150). The Ryzen prices should be coming down over the next few weeks. B350 mobos are about £80 but DDR4-3200 is going to about £160

Soldato
you can salvage it, dont just pawn it off because people with money can easily suggest new tech, depending what you playing then the 6 core will still hold up, but you will really need a new gpu even if its a gtx 750 and id suggest a new psu if you didnt already get a good one back then they could still hold up.

i know ive made a thread about upgrading as im just fussy at holding on to stuff long, but for the 1366x768 my 1st gen i3 seems to be holding up well and with my newly acquired 1050ti, i can play Fortnite On epic with only the odd drops below below 40fps, i have videos, i even have a video of The Division on ultra setting which while some things load proper detail as you approach, its between 40-60 most the time with very odd drops below 40fps, now a non 1080p res might not seem impressive, but these games are still demanding and im running stock settings, so as long as you can get over 40fps in top titles with the 6 core then you are good.

Associate
OP
Okay thank you for the advice yes I was looking into getting back into planetside 2, fortnite and possibly guild wars 2.
So switching it on yesterday for the first time in a long time, the psu went pop and smelt a burning smell haven't got a spare psu to hand to test if it's blown anything else, it's a JeanTech psu which I've never heard of or can not find an example of it on the Web
So is there any way of visually inspecting the mobo/cpu to see if its blown?? Or am I looking at buying another psu... In which case I shall bin it and take it on the chin

Associate
OP
As I said someone build it for me 7 years ago, I didn't have a clue :(
Why would the Corsair ram not be okay in this day and age? Only asking as I see the prices have skyrocketed like the gpu's ..

Associate
OP
Thanks tamzzy, as I said I know a little but not enough (yet) So would it make sense based on ram prices to grab an AMD FX-8350? Or would this still not hold up these days with the games I've stated?

Associate
OP
Apologies I should have been more clear, I'm willing to pick up a new mobo as there is a possibility this has blown I guess now. Also a new gpu, which was must anyway seen as these were outdated.

Man of Honour
depends on how much money you're willing to invest into deadend tech...
how much are you actually planning to spend? just a rough idea will do...

Man of Honour
rather than getting an fx8350, rather pick up a cheap i5 second hand system from the bay - can be had for a couple hundred quid, and chucking in a gt1030...
will come with windows etc, most cost effective route...

Back
Top Bottom