Can I use 3 pin fans on cpu cooler

Associate
okay this got me a bit mixed up, nephew has a msi b450 gaming pro carbon and his brother has given him his old coolermaster hyper 212 evo with no fans, so he has a couple of coolermaster 3 pin led fans that he would like to use on this and asked me if it would work. So can these be used and plugged into the cpu fan header using a splitter cable, and if so can the bios adjust the speed down (I take it it can but he might lose the led lights on them at a certain voltage) just want to cover all the bases so I can answer his questions.
Thanks

Soldato
Depends on if MSI B450 CPU fan header is 3-pin variable voltage or 4-pin PWM speed control. Motherboard manual should have info saying what kind of control is on CPU fan header. ;)

Associate
OP
thanks i have the same mb but not got any of these fans but tried an old 3 pin one with led and i can cut the voltage down to just about 4.8v before the fan stops and the led goes off, i can also adjust the speed in the bios and the fan speed and led brightness changes with the bios, if he was closer i could play with it to make sure.will have another play tonight just to make sure before i say anything to him

Back
Top Bottom