Can Logitech Z5500 sub be repaired

Soldato
I popped the subwoofer open, and don't see anything obvious. There is no hum/buzzing (or any sound at all for that matter) coming from the subwoofer when it is plugged in :(

/Edit: I lie... there is a faint buzzing when I flick the power switch on the back of the subwoofer. The control unit remains dead though.

539EddZl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I popped the subwoofer open, and don't see anything obvious. There is no hum/buzzing (or any sound at all for that matter) coming from the subwoofer when it is plugged in :(

/Edit: I lie... there is a faint buzzing when I flick the power switch on the back of the subwoofer. The control unit remains dead though.

539EddZl.jpg
Could just be the lighting or something else, but the small chip marked U12 (near bottom right of your photo) looks suspect to me. Looks like there is a dark spot that might indicate it's blown - but it could just easily be a marking on the chip or a bit of dust.

Associate
Since last week I have the same issue. Fuse seems to be fine; replaced it but it did not make any difference. Did you manage to fix it?

Man of Honour
I replaced the fuse on mine years and years ago and it’s still going. Logitech replaced the control panel many years ago too. They CS is ridiculously good. It must have been years out of warranty.

Soldato
Since last week I have the same issue. Fuse seems to be fine; replaced it but it did not make any difference. Did you manage to fix it?

I had ordered this item just over 3 weeks ago, and funnily enough it literally just arrived:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech...d-Post636-Subwoofer-Wired-Remote/321069120064

Testing it as we speak:
- centre speaker and subwoofer produce no sound when connected correctly
- the other 4 speakers are back in action
- swapped the front and centre/subwoofer inputs as a test, which results in the centre/subwoofer working but now the fronts don't
- the sound crackles a bit and isn't as clear as it was with the Logitech Control Pod

I think my Asus Xonar DX (running MaxedTech UNi Xonar Drivers) may not be configured properly or VLC is not outputting the sound correctly. The Control Pod may have handled this before but now I have to resolve it at a software level - I have tried a few different settings (have only spent ~5 minutes tinkering before focusing on writing this reply) and haven't had much luck yet, but there is still plenty more I can experiment with.

Overall, this device has confirmed that my issue was a dead Control Pod... all 5 speakers and the subwoofer still work.

/Edit:

Update: I swapped over to the Asus drivers and applied the same settings I had with the UNi drivers (see screenshot below) and now all channels seem to work as expected.

After a month of using some rubbish 2.1 speakers, the Z-5500 sound amazing :D

9osT98r.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I replaced the fuse on mine years and years ago and it’s still going. Logitech replaced the control panel many years ago too. They CS is ridiculously good. It must have been years out of warranty.

Whilst it has been ~13 years, I am still a bit apprehensive about contacting Logitech. A clue for the reason why is in the confessions thread :o

Soldato
Funnily enough, I've had a Z5500 subwoofer sitting beside me that I have never used, but intended to hard wire using a circuit I found online. Actually also found that item listed above from the bay a few weeks back and was considering grabbing that for giggles.

Back
Top Bottom