• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can somebody explain this "weird" voltage behavior please?

Associate
Okay so let me start by saying I'm not too "tech savvy" and my knowledge of PC's does exist but is limited.

Anyway, I bought a pre - built PC almost 3 years ago with an i7 4790k CPU and started to notice high temps last week (37 - 40oc when idle, 79oc when 60fps rendering and 88oc on Prime95 26.6) and I'm guessing it's always been this way since this is the first time I ever checked my temps.

I also checked the voltages and noticed that they weren't idling even though I had all power saving features on and my CPU clock speed idles with SpeedStep. My volatge were 1.26v at idle and 1.28 when on load.

The first thing I did was "load optimized defaults" on my ASUS BIOS (motherboard is Gene VII mATX) and that didn't seem to lower the voltages even though the "IA" mode and voltage mode were on "auto".

I then noticed an option named "Fully Manual Mode" and it was enabled, disabling it seemed to fix my issue and my voltage changed to 1.040v and idled down to .800v when not in use. My voltages now seem to stay at 1.23v when on load (4.4GHz Turbo Boost, no overclock) and .800v when idle.

Loading the "XMP" profile also enables Fully Manual Mode but I simply disabled Fully Manual Mode after enabling XMP for my memory.

Now, what I would like to know is why "Fully Manual Mode" boosts my voltages to 1.26/1.28v, any ideas? I have noticed that when other people enable this option it does not have the same effect as it does on me.

And why is "Fully Manual Mode" enabled by default? Seems a bit silly.

I now get much better temperatures though (32oc idle and 75oc when doing Prime95).

My full specs:

i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz/4.4Ghz Turbo Boost (no overclock)
CM 212 EVO cooler
Gene VII Mobo
16 GB Kingston Beast Ram
Palit GTX 980
1000w Corsair PSU (Yes, I know it's overkill)
250GB SSD/1 TB HDD

Soldato
If you want it reducing voltage on idle, then make sure Windows power options are set to "balanced".

Load BIOS defaults and set power in Windows to balanced and all should work as intended.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fully manual mode is for overclocking. If you use this, you need to adjust voltages manually. You may be able to set a negative offset to voltages in manual mode, reducing the voltages further at stock.

Associate
OP
Fully manual mode is for overclocking. If you use this, you need to adjust voltages manually. You may be able to set a negative offset to voltages in manual mode, reducing the voltages further at stock.
I know that it lets you adjust voltages manually but why would it automatically boost my VCORE to a constant 1.26v idle and 1.28v load, even if I don't change anything? If it's disabled my VCORE is 1.040v and idles at .80v while boosting to 1.23v when on load, this seems normal to me.

My biggest question is why does Fully Manual Mode Boost my voltage to 1.26v without even changing anything?

And no, in fully manual mode you can't set voltages to adaptive or offset you can just change the voltages. Which is why I think changing voltages to manual would be better for overclockong instead of using Fully Manual Mode.

EDIT:

So to avoid any confusion:

Fully Manual Mode Enabled and no other changes except for XMP:

Voltages stay at 1.26 on idle and 1.28 on load.

Fully Manual Mode disabled, XMP enabled and berthing set to auto:

VCORE says 1.040v, idles at .80v and goes to 1.23 on load.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It sounds more like an overclock mode. Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Hmm, not sure, I doubt it, haven't done much with it since I got it 3 years ago except for install an SSD and do a few re installs of Windows 10.

There's nothing wrong with the way the voltages or temps are now, everything seems to be running fine, ran Prime95 for 15 minutes, temps stayed at around 80oc, no crashes.

I just found it weird that with Fully Manual Mode enabled it boosted my voltages to 1.26/128v and with it turned off it goes back down to 1.040v. If I understand correctly it should not be doing this.

My clock speeds stay the same if I have Fully Manual Mode enabled, just the voltages change.

I think it also has something to do with what setting I have "IA Overclock Tuner" set to.

If I set "IA Overclock Tuner" to auto but leave fully manual mode enabled my voltages stay at 1.040v.
If I set "IA Overclock Tuner" to Manual my voltages stay at 1.26v whether Fully Manual Mode is enabled or disabled.
If I set "IA Overclock Tuner" to XMP my voltages go to 1.26v until I disable Fully Manual Mode, then they drop back to 1.040v. (This is the setup I have currently).

EDIT:

Just had a look and it says my BIOS version is "2902 x64". Is this the latest one for my BIOS (Maximus Gene VII)?

Last edited:
Soldato
The board doesn't downvolt by default in the interests of stability margins when overclocking. Make sure C-states / Speedstep is enabled.
Select adaptive mode for Vcore and enter the total value in the additional turbo voltage field.

This is all in the condition that the balanced power plan is selected in Windows.

Associate
OP
The board doesn't downvolt by default in the interests of stability margins when overclocking. Make sure C-states / Speedstep is enabled.
Select adaptive mode for Vcore and enter the total value in the additional turbo voltage field.

This is all in the condition that the balanced power plan is selected in Windows.
Thanks for the information about the board not downvolting by default, this gave me a better understanding of the board.

And I already had all of the power saving options enabled such as C-states, SpeedStep and balanced power mode but this still doesn't make it downvolt when "Fully Manual Mode" is enabled.

When I disabled Fully Manual Mode and change my VCORE to "auto" it changes to 1.040v and my voltages idle at .80v and rise to 1.23v on load (100%). It does this whether C-states are enabled or disabled, only SpeedStep needs to be enabled. I am pretty sure these voltages are normal.

The only thing that boggles my mind is why Fully Manual Mode boosts my voltage to 1.26v idle and 1.28 on load.

Fully Manual Mode Enabled = 1.26v idle and 1.28v load.

Fully Manual Mode Dsiabled = 1.040v at 4GHz, .80v when idle and 2.23v when on load (4.4GHz).

This just seems so strange that "Fully Manual Mode" boosts my voltage by a bit, I get they shouldn't idle on Fully Manual Mode but why do they get higher?

Associate
OP
Fully manual mode does not allow for low power states as it enables the ASUS implementation of FIVR control. Thus you need to have it disabled.

Okay, thank you.

So you don't know why it makes my voltage go to 1.26v?

Also (last question I swear, Iw I'll stop bothering you) is it normal for temps to jump around?

I was streaming PS4 gameplay today through OBS/Elgato HD60 and I noticed my temps would jump around a lot like this: 44oc, 50oc, 40oc, 45oc, 55oc, 43oc and follow loops similar to that, it never reached above 60 though, only went to around 55oc when it jumped up to it. Could this be tempature just adjusting to the changing clock speed due to SpeedStep? (When streaming SpeedStep never stays at a certain clock speed, usually fluctuates around 3.2 GHz and 4.0 GHz).

Thanks!

Associate
I have Asus Maximus VII Ranger and I was once doing a compare with a Asus Maximus VII Hero owner on OCN regarding manual/adaptive mode CPU voltage. Reading your post 1 you have Asus Maximus VII Gene, most of these boards share very similar UEFI (BIOS/ROM) options.

So basically what we were setting in UEFI is VID, some apps show VID as VCORE and vice versa, HWiNFO shows both. As long as EIST, C-States, etc was enabled in UEFI and Windows OS was in "balanced" power profile even in manual mode downvolting of VCORE occurred, all that did not happen was VID did not show downvolting. In adaptive mode VID and VCORE both downvolted.

Associate
OP
I have Asus Maximus VII Ranger and I was once doing a compare with a Asus Maximus VII Hero owner on OCN regarding manual/adaptive mode CPU voltage. Reading your post 1 you have Asus Maximus VII Gene, most of these boards share very similar UEFI (BIOS/ROM) options.

So basically what we were setting in UEFI is VID, some apps show VID as VCORE and vice versa, HWiNFO shows both. As long as EIST, C-States, etc was enabled in UEFI and Windows OS was in "balanced" power profile even in manual mode downvolting of VCORE occurred, all that did not happen was VID did not show downvolting. In adaptive mode VID and VCORE both downvolted.

Nope, I checked the VCORE and it stays at 1.26v when Fully Manual Mode is enabled even if power saving options are on such a C-States, EIST and Balanced power mode (5% min CPU and 100% max CPU), I did not get VID and VCORE mixed up, in HWinfo all of my VCOREs are at 1.26 if Fully Manual Mode is enabled, even with power saving options.

The only way I can get VCORE to idle is auto or adaptive.

Associate
Nope, I checked the VCORE and it stays at 1.26v when Fully Manual Mode is enabled even if power saving options are on such a C-States, EIST and Balanced power mode (5% min CPU and 100% max CPU), I did not get VID and VCORE mixed up, in HWinfo all of my VCOREs are at 1.26 if Fully Manual Mode is enabled, even with power saving options.

The only way I can get VCORE to idle is auto or adaptive.

OK :) , as I hadn't read HWiNFO mentioned in thread earlier I thought I'd post the info I did.

Associate
OP
Because it's applying a fixed voltage. That's why it's called fully manual mode. As to your other question, seems normal.

Sorry I come back with one more question.

Remember how I said that the temps fluctuates sometimes? Well here's an example of what I mean:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/aidN3AW

Are you sure this is normal? This example is from when I streaming PS4 gameplay through OBS with Elagato HD60.

I also get this (but not as bad) when downloading steam games.

Temps don't seem to fluctuate when stress trident though, they stay at a solid 83 - 85oc.

Associate
OP
Use AIDA to monitor temps, but nothing to be concerned about. Make sure not to have more than one monitoring application open at a given time to avoid polling conflicts
With AIDA (and AIDA only opened) it will also fluctuate when I was downloading a game.

Are you sure this is safe/normal? I've had a few people over at Reddit say it's not normal.

Soldato
Which is symbolic of why you shouldn't listen to people on reddit. I'd be more inclined to look at your background activity on a core basis and see what your system is doing.

Or, stop worrying about nothing.

Back
Top Bottom