Can you actually do this? :D

Soldato
No way I'd do it, but in practice it'd probably be OK if you steer clear of the air intake and the battery since I'd expect the electrical connectors in there should all be water resistant.

Man of Honour
wedrum;30499178 said:
wow then the next poor sod comes along and gets oil and grit all over his car.

This is kind of to be expected using anything like that at a public car wash, by the time people have done their wheels, put the brush on the floor etc.

Anyone that bothered wouldn't be using one to wash their car.

Man of Honour
tom_e;30499228 said:

I remember seeing an old man at a Tesco petrol station cleaning a year old Cayman S with one of these.

He was vigorously scrubbing at something, putting it down on the ground and checking whatever he was trying to get off was gone then going back to scrub at it. I'd have loved to have seen the paintwork after he'd "finished"

Soldato
Steedie;30499238 said:
I remember seeing an old man at a Tesco petrol station cleaning a year old Cayman S with one of these.

He was vigorously scrubbing at something, putting it down on the ground and checking whatever he was trying to get off was gone then going back to scrub at it. I'd have loved to have seen the paintwork after he'd "finished"

:eek::(

Soldato
tom_e;30499228 said:
This is kind of to be expected using anything like that at a public car wash, by the time people have done their wheels, put the brush on the floor etc.

I went to pump my tires up the other day and somebody had left the handle in a puddle of muddy water below the machine.

Man of Honour
MooMoo444;30499187 said:
I wouldn't fancy introducing water around the battery, so no, I'd avoid doing this.

What do you think will happen? Water isn't the best conductor, in fact you can submerge an automotive battery and pretty much nothing will happen. Low voltage, DC...

OcUK Staff
He is brave.

I pressured washed my mothers VW Up and for the remainder that day every time one pressed the brake pedal the wipers activated. :D

Note I pressure washed the external of the vehicle, the bonnet was never lifted and engine was not cleaned.

When I clean an engine bay, I take a damp cloth, wipe everything over and then dry with another clean cloth. I try not to spray anything in the engine bay, just wipe it down is enough and far safer.

Soldato
I've used a high pressure jet on practically all of my cars engines for the last decade and never had any issues. I'm obviously sensitive to ignition areas but in the main, there's so much plastic under the bonnet of modern cars that there's very little damage that could be done unless you were focused in on one point for ages.

Soldato
You can use water, but your not supposed to use a pressure washer and your supposed to cover up exposed parts, like the battery and air intake :D

I wouldn't advise it at all though. Car engines aren't designed to be exposed to water in that way and you would be surprised what high pressure water can get in to!

Back
Top Bottom