Can you finsh filling watercooling with water (+ additives)?

Associate
Hi,
I was filling my xspc dual bay resevoir, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-011-XS&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=1042 with alphacool Tec-protect-plus liquid.

Now this liquid came with a kit i bought, (which was supposed to have a smaller resevoir). This resevoir is considerably bigger than the amount of liquid (500ml), it comes up to about half-way, barely up to the place the pump takes the water from.

This is my question:
1. Can I fill the rest with water alone
2. Can I fill the rest with water and an additive, (like anti-freeze or something, if so what quantities?)
3. Do i simply just need to buy more liquid.

finally, if question 2 i can do... is it alrite mixing it with the proper alphacool liquid?

Tim

Associate
I suggest a 10% mix of good old glycol with distilled for a basic plain mix

For the amount of topping up i really can't see any problems with using distilled on its own

How much in parts of a litre do you think you will have to add ??

Ciao

Def

Associate
Hiya,

I meant that plain mix to be used as it's unique mix/blend

Don't mix that into another mix (temps prolly rise lol)

So if you want to make a plain mix use that ratio but as Jokester said don't mix differing coolants

Heck i used to run years ago a 5% glycol to 95% distilled and that worked nice

I get trade vaux AF so soon i'll be funky pink coloured cooling lol

Ciao

Def

Associate
OP
I suggest a 10% mix of good old glycol with distilled for a basic plain mix

For the amount of topping up i really can't see any problems with using distilled on its own

How much in parts of a litre do you think you will have to add ??

Ciao

Def

i have used 500ml, alphacool liquid, and it is about half-full, i reckon another 500ml, distailled water will be required to fill the whole resevoir???

Is that alrite

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ive also got to think about micro-organisms,

btw, this is my first watercooling system.
Is it worth me draining the system and mixing a liquid, or just staying symple and adding water

The alphacool liquid contains 30% 1,2 ethylene glycol

After translating Ethandiol to "ethylene glycol"!!! LOL, I need a good german - english translator!

Man of Honour
Topping it up with distilled will be fine although it may dilute the UV properties of the alphacool. I would stay clear of plain tap water or mixing any other type of coolant. You really don't need any glycol based coolant unless you are mixing metals. PT Nuke (copper sulphate) or iodine - just a couple of drops is more than enough to act as a biocide to keep the nasties at bay.

Associate
OP
Thank you so much everyone for your help, i will buy some distilled water from B&Q tomorrow

PT Nuke (copper sulphate) or iodine - just a couple of drops is more than enough to act as a biocide to keep the nasties at bay.

My mum happens to be a Doctor! So she will get me some iodine on monday!
I assume that it is ok for me to run without it for sunday, one day wont matter will it?
Tim

Back
Top Bottom