can you replace TFT bulbs ??

Permabanned
as i understand it... TFT`s have a limited life time due to the bulb inside them, once this pops can it be replaced ? if so, do you have any ideas where i may find replacements ?

i have a real nice little 17" NEC NX1760 DVI monitor in front of me here and occasionally the screen just goes black yet if you look real closely you can see the faint outline of things moving on the screen which indicated to me that the LCD panel is fine but the bulb is not. simply unplugging the power cable for 10 seconds then plugging it back in does seem to get it going again and it doesnt happen more than once or twice a week, but i would like to keep it running if possible as its a nice screen with excellent colour depth.

Permabanned
OP
fish99 said:
I've seen plenty of replacement CCFL tubes on ebay, and various online retailers sell them I believe. Fitting it is another matter though.

well if i can buy it i can fit it myself without too much hassle, :)

Soldato
how old is it?
I'm guessing that if its sub 3 years then NEC will replace the bulb for you, or atleast send you a replacment

Permabanned
OP
VeNT said:
how old is it?
I'm guessing that if its sub 3 years then NEC will replace the bulb for you, or atleast send you a replacment

thats the problem... i have no clue as i was given it due to the very fault i discribed, and the person who gave it to me was also given it for that very same reason... neither the original or previous owners cottoned on to the fact that by unplugging its mains for ten seconds brings it back to life, and the original owner has now left the country :(

i have serial numbers from it but i cant find anywhere to check them on the NEC website :(

Soldato
Sorry to say dude, but No,

Its called a backlight, and its not replaceable.

Basically you would need a new panel. Companies may refurb the panels but i dont know of any.

Get in touch with nec, they can check the serial to see if its still covered.

Give them a spiel of you have a few nec prodcuts, you have never had any issues and would really like to carry on using their products, you will find it normally works wonders. :)

Datamonkey said:
Sorry to say dude, but No,

Its called a backlight, and its not replaceable.

Basically you would need a new panel. Companies may refurb the panels but i dont know of any.

Get in touch with nec, they can check the serial to see if its still covered.

Give them a spiel of you have a few nec prodcuts, you have never had any issues and would really like to carry on using their products, you will find it normally works wonders. :)

Yes they are, I have the same problem my 15 inch Relisys TFT, pulled it apart the other night and the 2 Tube lights (CCFL's) just unplug from the inverter and slide out from the top and bottom of the panel,

I'm also on the look out for a 15.4" CCFL, they seem to sell them everywhere in the states but it's hard to find a supplier over here.

DaveMac said:
More than likely it's a faulty invertor rather than tubes, though the solution is similar.

I'm not that clued up when in comes to electronics (although I'm good at taking electronics apart :D ) I have a multimetre, can I use this to test if it is the inverter that is gone, not the CCFL's because I was thinking the chance of 2 CCFL's dieng at the same time is a little suspect, would it just be a case of checking the power output of the inverter ?

Back
Top Bottom