Cannot get mic inputs to work.

Associate
Hi,

About 1 month ago, my Creative Sound Blaster stopped working on the mic. So, i used the MB onboard sound.

that also didn't work. Sound plays... mic doesn't record. I tried three separate headsets and camera with inbuilt mic. They didn't work on either sound device.

Tried them in my backup PC. and they worked. Surmised it was a "power surge or spike " that blew both devices.

Ordered an Asus Xonar DX 5.1. Installed it today and the same issue. Cannot get mic to work in Skype. Figured it may be Skype. Tried the Windows 10 speech recognition and that also doesn't work. Plugged into both mic and line-in.

Very confused now. The only thing I haven't tried is changing the PCI port to plug the sound card into. However, if it is that, why would the onboard sound not work either? Or is it Windows 10?

Please give me some ideas.

Thanks

NB

Soldato
Pity you didn't post before buying the DX, because it's almost impossible that a power spike would bugger the microphone connections without doing any other damage. Power spikes aren't that accurate. :p

Could be that some setting or something has been altered to cause this; but I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is with the garbage that is Windows 10, given the amount of sound issues people have had with it. Sorry to all the people that like it, but how long has it been since release and people are still getting sound problems?

Altering the sound settings is done on a device by device basis, so taking the assumption that some change happened within the settings to mute the microphone, really should not have affected the DX as well, as you hadn't installed it yet.

I'd probably try a system restore before that last update, see if that gets rid of a possible offending update.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your advice.

Can only assume it was the software somehow.

I have now managed to get it working but still not sure how. :confused:

Anyway, nothing was muted, I tried a combination of mic, line in, back panel, front panel etc.

Eventually, got the mic to work on the front panel but the speakers would then not work unless also on the front panel.

Then eventually got the speakers to work on the back panel then plugged the mic into the mic back panel and that then worked.

Still stumped but at least it is now working.

Back
Top Bottom