Canon 6d II vs 80D

Associate
Just looking into the differences between these two,

They both shoot video, both have an articulating screen, one is Full-Frame where the other is crop , and there's a fairly big price difference between them.

However I've done some research and the suggestion is that the 6d II is not all it's cracked up to be, not worth the price and to either go for a 5d Mk IV (Out of price range) or the 80d "Because it shaped youtube and is still a worthy rival today"

Thoughts? Is the 80D still the better camera if full-frame is not essential? My personal thoughts are that the main benefits are no crop factor so a 35mm lens is truly 35mm , and should give smoother shots at a lens' lowest apertures?

Soldato
What is your budget and do you have any Canon lenses already?

I have a 6D MKI and I still remember the jump to full frame was amazing in terms of the image quality improvement over cropped sensors. However Canon slipped behind the competition around the year the 6D MKII was released so it’s not a great camera for the money compared to other options out there. If you don’t already have Canon lenses then I would save a little more and get a used Sony A7R3 for about £1,500.

Associate
OP
What is your budget and do you have any Canon lenses already?

I have a 6D MKI and I still remember the jump to full frame was amazing in terms of the image quality improvement over cropped sensors. However Canon slipped behind the competition around the year the 6D MKII was released so it’s not a great camera for the money compared to other options out there. If you don’t already have Canon lenses then I would save a little more and get a used Sony A7R3 for about £1,500.

Budget isn't really so much of an issue but I've always stayed with Canon (Late friend of mine introduced me to proper cameras and that was what he used) , I've got a 40D Currently, Using a 70-200 f4L , 17-85 (EF-S So this would only work with the 80d) 50mm f1.8 and 24-70 , So fairly invested in the system already. I see pretty much everyone raving over the sony mirrorless cameras, are they really that much better than canon?

Edit : Main plus to me of the Canon Vs the Sony options is the articulating touch-screen which I want.

Read some more reviews since I posted and the 6d II gets a real bashing from most sources as a poor camera for it's price and the time it was released.

Soldato
The 6D MK2 gets a bashing because people expected more from it over the 6D, given the 5 years between them. It's a great camera and still worth buying one at a decent price - I wouldn't be spending more than £1200 on one though as that is getting close (used) to the Sony A73 which offers much more value for money.

What are you intending to use the camera for?

Associate
OP
The 6D MK2 gets a bashing because people expected more from it over the 6D, given the 5 years between them. It's a great camera and still worth buying one at a decent price - I wouldn't be spending more than £1200 on one though as that is getting close (used) to the Sony A73 which offers much more value for money.

What are you intending to use the camera for?

Mostly photography, some macro work if I buy another macro lens, general walkabout camera, probably some family videos of the kids too as mobile phone footage looks great on it's own screen, until you play it back on something bigger!

Soldato
Pretty much what I use my 6D for.
The video on the 6D2 is much improved as the camera uses Dual Pixel AF for continuous Auto focus during recording. For video use a lens with STM focus as the USM focus system is very loud and sounds like a machine gun off during filming. Something like the 50 F1.8 STM or 18-55 IS STM works great.

Associate
OP
Pretty much what I use my 6D for.
The video on the 6D2 is much improved as the camera uses Dual Pixel AF for continuous Auto focus during recording. For video use a lens with STM focus as the USM focus system is very loud and sounds like a machine gun off during filming. Something like the 50 F1.8 STM or 18-55 IS STM works great.

Thanks, Did you go to Full-Frame from another camera ? Is there really any benefit except for example, a 35mm actually being a 35mm and not forcing your back against the wall ? I'm not going to miss the on-camera flash as I have a 430EX already. I guess the other burning question, is if I'll actually get better quality out of the 80D with it's apparently "better" sensor, and spend that money on glass instead.

Soldato
Is there really any benefit except for example, a 35mm actually being a 35mm and not forcing your back against the wall ?

That's not really a benefit of FF, because if you wanted a FOV of 35mm on a crop sensor, you'd buy the appropriate lens to suit (i.e. a 22mm or thereabouts).
The main benefit is that quality of having a bigger sensor and also because of that, better low light capabilities. I haven't been keeping up with the cameras though, so can't help you specifically with 80D vs. 6DII.

Soldato
6DII owner from 7D here.

I love the IQ, AF is better (Although its the same as the 80D) and integrated GPS. Although I miss the joystick which the 7D had for focus point selection.

Was a tough choice between the 5DIII and 6DII 18 months ago. However the integrated GPS and the £200-300 saving vs a used 5DIII swung me to a 6DII.

Next camera will be a 5DIV. If you don't care about GPS: 5DIII. Else 5DIV if budget allows (but this is after good glass, I use a 16-35 F4LIS and a 24-100F4L IS II and they are both excellent).

Associate
OP
Just an update, Decided i still wanted to keep using my 17-85mm as the only wide-angle i own , So have gone with an 80d. Decided i didn't really need Full Frame at this point, nor GPS. Thanks for the advice.

Associate
I upgraded from 7D original to EOS 7Dii and the difference is pretty good in ISO, IQ, AF points etc. However when 7Dii came out the price difference was too much and not enough to tempt me to trade in 7Di for the 7Dii. This was the same for the 6D & 6Dii when it was priced at £1,800 at launch !
Currently the same is not quite the same from 6Di to 6Dii, as the price is the key factor as you are already invested in some canon glass, so migrating away from Canon to Sony ( ie A7iii which is an amazing camera ). If it is macro, landscapes, portrait etc then the 6Dii is a very good choice as you do not need multi AF points, high fps, quick AF etc and that articulating screen is a god send.
For me I feel more comfortable with the 7Dii because of the 65 AF points, dual card slot, and thumb stick I can not live with out. I borrowed a mates 6Di and just did not like the feel and use at all and could not get on with the AF points group in the centre, however the 6Dii is a better camera and has a lot going for it even if the Dynamic range is not quite as good as the 6D original !

Scan the used markets for 6Dii and you should get a good deal for what is a reasonably good camera.
Canon IMO are apx 2 years behind the competition at the moment and really need to sort their marketing out as it hurting their once loyal customer base.
i have both canon glass and sony glass and can opt to use either my 7Dii or NEX5R depending upon what I am shooting. When the price comes down a bit more on the A7iii I will buy it as my Full frame bad boy !

Back
Top Bottom