Canon 70 - 200 2.8 IS II alternative?

Soldato
The difference is a bit less if you go the import route but that's your call.

Be aware that the f/4L IS isn't just the f/4 with IS added. It's sharper, weather sealed and has circular aperture blades.

Associate
The Tamron may be excellent value for money and come close to the Canon in some ways but the Canon is still markedly superior, especially at the long end of the focal range.

Not saying the Tamron isn't a superb lens but you do get what you pay for and the Canon is expensive for a reason - nothing else can touch it.

I agree, I have a Canon EF 70-300L IS USm and the IQ is verp sharpe. I have also had a play with the Tamron in a high street shop and again the IQ is very good.
If money was a limiting factor then the Tamron would be a good choice, if not then Canon is the way to go. ;)

Associate
I rented a 70-200mm II f2.8 over the bank holiday for an event and I'm totally blown away with it. Then you check the price and you see why. I know it'll hold its value quite well though which is why I'm kind of persuading myself to buy it.

Associate
I've heard it say that 70-200mm is a good portrait lens but that the f2.8 gives better bokeh so the F/4 version is that considered not so good for portrait then?
Just been looking at some Flkr pics with the 70-200mm F4 non is and they look really good,tempted by the price,
thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've heard it say that 70-200mm is a good portrait lens but that the f2.8 gives better bokeh so the F/4 version is that considered not so good for portrait then?
Just been looking at some Flkr pics with the 70-200mm F4 non is and they look really good,tempted by the price,
thanks
There isn't a bad Canon branded 70 / 200. Couple of good videos:

Matt 'that nikon guy' Granger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAAeoB1F7nI
&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmzbkcgWrIs

Tony Northrup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P80BpSQIIto

I've gone for the Tamron lens...

Soldato
Everything's relative - yes the f/2.8 models will give a shallow DoF than the f/4 but the latter is still excellent and fine for portraits.

Associate
thanks

We'll the f2.8 has one stop more aperture, so by physics alone it will separate subjects by blurring the background more than the f4. It's a subjective thing though, so only you could really say whether it's performance in that respect is good enough for you and the sort of compositions you'll be shooting...

Put it like this- I'm sure there are plenty of f4 owners who are happy with it for portraiture, and plenty who demand an 85mm f1.2.

If you were in London, I'd be happy for you to test drive my f2.8 II.

Caporegime
on IS

i i kept wondering why i seemed to be getting more shots than i thought i should be with my 100mm macro L

i knew it had IS but never paid much attention to how it works.
i began finding i was using it more than my nifty fifty.
i recently had an issue with an IS unit on my sigma and used my canon to test
when i saw the IS in action (2 way IS i believe) i was amazed

i would very much pay the premium for IS now when its useful its VERY useful

Associate
We'll the f2.8 has one stop more aperture, so by physics alone it will separate subjects by blurring the background more than the f4. It's a subjective thing though, so only you could really say whether it's performance in that respect is good enough for you and the sort of compositions you'll be shooting...

Put it like this- I'm sure there are plenty of f4 owners who are happy with it for portraiture, and plenty who demand an 85mm f1.2.

If you were in London, I'd be happy for you to test drive my f2.8 II.
very kind of you indeed,thanks .

Associate
OP
My Tamron 70 - 200 VC USD arrived today, going to give it a workout tomorrow. In the end couldn't justify the extra £700 in price difference between it (£700 landed) and the Canon 2.8 II (£1400 landed).

Probably get a Sigma 18 - 35 1.8 + dock with the money saved :)

Back
Top Bottom