Canon Mirrorless

Associate
Anyone got any experience with these?

I'm looking for a full frame mirrorless which is suitable for sports. The R6 seems to tick most boxes but I'm concerned that it will be the same as the 6D which I tried last year which wasn't at all suitable for sports.

I currently have a Canon 90D so without listing my lenses, will those compatible with the 90D work with the new mirrorless bodies?

The R7 isn't full frame is it?

Soldato
You get 14fps with the mechanical shutter and 20fps with the electronic so that’s fine for sports, it also shares the same auto focus as the Canon R5 and R3.

R7 is APSC but also a higher mp sensor with a 1.6x crop when using FF glass.

Man of Honour
Keep in mind you /will/ get rolling shutter with the electronic shutter being used on all Canon Rs except the R3 which has advancements that prevent rolling shutter. For sports you'd want to be using the mech shutter on non R3 models if you want to avoid the rolling shutter - This will depend on the sport of course. Fro KNows Photos did a video comparing it a while back.

Personally I will upgrade to the R3 for my uses as I much prefer the 1/64000 maximum shutter as none of the other models have anything beyond the antiqued 1/8000s as I always shoot at 1.4 on all my sub 135mm lenses.

Soldato
a few points that are just my opinion, i am not a pro photographer.

you need an adaptor to use old dslr lenses on a mirrorless.

Canon are dead expensive now, the RF lenses are stupid money for good telephoto f2.8 fixed aperture lenses like you would want for sports.

R6 is good enough for pro sports photographers to get good results, its more to do with skill and knowing the equipment inside out.

Man of Honour
Agreed on the lens adapter, the upshot is Canon's RF from Ef adapter ring is superbly excellent. It will make your old lenses much better because the RF system focusing is much more precise than EF bodies. You also have no need to micro adjust any more. The £200 you pay for the adapter is well worth it. Your old lenses will feel like new lenses.

I see no RF lens in the current lineup that would reasonably replace my EF primes, the cost is ludicrously lol.

Soldato
Keep in mind you /will/ get rolling shutter with the electronic shutter being used on all Canon Rs except the R3 which has advancements that prevent rolling shutter. For sports you'd want to be using the mech shutter on non R3 models if you want to avoid the rolling shutter - This will depend on the sport of course. Fro KNows Photos did a video comparing it a while back.

Personally I will upgrade to the R3 for my uses as I much prefer the 1/64000 maximum shutter as none of the other models have anything beyond the antiqued 1/8000s as I always shoot at 1.4 on all my sub 135mm lenses.
What you shoot with now? 5Dmk4?

Man of Honour
5D Mk3 still, had it since launch. Been doing extensive research into mirrorless upgrades and the R5 and R3 are the natural upgrades for me really. R3 especially because of the battery life and maximum shutter speed so can keep shooting 1.4 in daylight without any concern about blown highlights etc.

Keeping my existing lenses of course (35 1.4 L II, 85 1.4, 135 2.0 L) but likely to add an ultra wide prime for landscape/architecture and wedding ceremony.

Man of Honour
90% of my shots are typically with the 35mm 1.4 L II, it is a breathtaking lens is all I can say lol. Edge to edge as sharp as f4 when at f1.4, focus accuracy so quick and spot on I have no micro adjust set on body either so can only imagine what it will be like on an R5 or R3!

Back
Top Bottom