Canon R6 MkII vs MkIII

Soldato
I've had my Canon 750D (DSLR, APS-C, 24MP) for 8 years now and I've learned quite a bit along the way but it's time for an upgrade. Had my eye on the Canon R6 MkII for a while, especially now prices have dropped (still £2k but it's my main hobby these days so why not) however there are strong rumours that the R6 MkIII will be announced towards the end of the year and available in early 2025.

Everything including specs are still at the rumour stage so it's hard to make an informed decision - any thoughts as to whether I should take advantage of the current prices or wait for the MkIII? The MkII is less than two years old and would still be a massive upgrade from my 750D, but if I keep whatever I end up getting for as long as my 750D I can't help thinking waiting a few more months for whatever improvements the MkIII brings is the more sensible option.

And yes, appreciate I'm going to need to buy new lenses for either option since they're RF and not EF mount but that's been factored into budgeting.

Last edited:
Ive got the R62 and the R5 , had a R6 as well which i sold for the R62.

You can get the R62 for £1540 (1 year warranty)- £1580 (3 year warranty) on import.

No doubt the mk3 will be good, but the r62 is very good, great sensor and much improved autofocus over the mk1, but the price will be very high at launch no doubt.

Id get the MK2 now, and also get the rf-ef converter so you can use some of your old lenses, which will probably work better on the R6.

I use the converter with EF500F4L IS and a EF300 2.8L IS , EF 70-300L , and it works great.

I'm wondering how much the r5ii will be on the grey market. I love the R6ii but coming from a 5Div I'm worried I'm not going to be able to live without the top LCD which I use all the time :confused:

I'm wondering how much the r5ii will be on the grey market. I love the R6ii but coming from a 5Div I'm worried I'm not going to be able to live without the top LCD which I use all the time :confused:

just a guess, about £3699

£4500 in UK shops is a hideous price, no way is that worth it unless doing it for a living

just a guess, about £3699

£4500 in UK shops is a hideous price, no way is that worth it unless doing it for a living
Yeah, I was guessing about the same. If it was closer to 3k id probably b tempted.
Such a dilemma for me, maybe I should stick with the 5d but I really want some of the features from the digital bodies :D

Yeah, I was guessing about the same. If it was closer to 3k id probably b tempted.
Such a dilemma for me, maybe I should stick with the 5d but I really want some of the features from the digital bodies :D

I would be tempted to just chill out and wait a couple of years myself.
It has long been rumored that Canon are developing a quad pixel AF to replace their dual pixel AF.

I was kinda expecting the R1 might have it, dual pixel AF looks rather dated and unimpressive in its Specs sheet for a £7000 camera a few months away from 2025.

You're probably right mate. I just can't get that articulating rear screen and the AF out of my head :cry:.
Considering the price point of the R6ii currently maybe I should get one and hope it doesn't lose too much value in a year or two. Hard to know which way to go, like you say it does feel like things are about the change pretty drastically!

I quite recently bought my R6 mkii coming from a 7D mark ii and my keeper rate has increased a lot, however next week I will be speaking to Canon UK about its newly developed freezing issues, which I thought they had resolved but clearly not. I don't know if its just with EF lenses or not, will see what they say.

The US market get the benefit of Canon refurbs, R5's seem to be what people are picking up used. for us we just have the import market but there can be some bargains around.

Back
Top Bottom