Can't change speed from 3.70Ghz to 4.20Ghz

Do you think my hardware is compatible? But I think you just answered that question. Its a fair point tbh so perhaps I should stick to 3700 and not look at the higher speeds. but the fact that I am unable to is still bugging me...any suggestions??

TUF Gaming 32GB 4x8GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz
You sure?
don't recall them making that
Though can't remember everything

Thoughts on set up
depends really
What metric you want to use to measure it
Cost?
or performance?
Again depends what you want it to do

3600mhz is sweet spot on am4
maybe 3733mhz
After that you're not going to be 1:1 with infinity clock

Can you use cpuz
And show a screen shot of the spd tab
Would need really good ram to go over 3800mhz
I would be very surprised if cpuz shows a 4800mhz profile
Not saying its impossible
I don't know everything
But given the rest of your setup
That speed doesn't really fit the budget
Or would be unbalanced compared to the rest
Is another way of looking at it

I'm still very confused over all this. Are you absolutely sure you're talking about RAM speeds? From your part list the RAM should be 3200MHz anyway.

As for your 5900X CPU, the stock speed is 3.7GHz. Max boost speed is 4.8GHz but all core boost will be lower than that. I think you're getting the RAM and CPU speeds mixed up.

What are your thoughts on my set up?

if you get cpu-z as mention by Mcnumpty2323 you should be able to see what speed certain hardware is running

You relise the base frequency of a 5900x is 3.7ghz, the cpu will always default back to that, at idle, if your hitting the cpu with a heavy workload the clocks are genreally lower anyway as temprature would become a factor at that point, normal behavoir of am4 chips is from base clock (3,7ghz) to around 4 - 4.2ghz, gaming loads should get you around 4.4 - 4.7ghz region as more cores are being used.

Unless you do a manual overclock the boost frequency on a 5900x is indeed 4.8ghz but thats only on one core, out of the box the cpu will never hit all core 4.8ghz, tempratures would shoot up too fast and the cpu would throttle back hard.

As others have stated am4 loves ddr4 3600mhz, with tight timings, (cl14/16), going past 3800mhz on ddr4 will introduce more latency which in most cases hurts performance of the cpu and most tasks in windows, you'll know as games will keep crashing, windows will bsod or lag/freeze.

I would have a look at your cpu temps at idle and under load, if the cpu is stuck at base that could be a overhating issue, the cpu's protecting itself.
the 5900x has a max operating temp of 90c if your at that or close the cpu boost frequency is always lower because temps are too high.

looking through your speccy link i can see your motherboard bios version is 1.4 dated 11/8/22, thats far too old, i would look at updating it to bring all the agesa updates which will probably make your cpu run faster than 3.7ghz.
TUF Gaming 32GB 4x8GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz

OP's using Team Group - UD4 3200mhz ddr4 modules (4*8gb kit)

Last edited:
You relise the base frequency of a 5900x is 3.7ghz, the cpu will always default back to that, at idle, if your hitting the cpu with a heavy workload the clocks are genreally lower anyway as temprature would become a factor at that point, normal behavoir of am4 chips is from base clock (3,7ghz) to around 4 - 4.2ghz, gaming loads should get you around 4.4 - 4.7ghz region as more cores are being used.

Unless you do a manual overclock the boost frequency on a 5900x is indeed 4.8ghz but thats only on one core, out of the box the cpu will never hit all core 4.8ghz, tempratures would shoot up too fast and the cpu would throttle back hard.

As others have stated am4 loves ddr4 3600mhz, with tight timings, (cl14/16), going past 3800mhz on ddr4 will introduce more latency which in most cases hurts performance of the cpu and most tasks in windows, you'll know as games will keep crashing, windows will bsod or lag/freeze.

I would have a look at your cpu temps at idle and under load, if the cpu is stuck at base that could be a overhating issue, the cpu's protecting itself.
the 5900x has a max operating temp of 90c if your at that or close the cpu boost frequency is always lower because temps are too high.

looking through your speccy link i can see your motherboard bios version is 1.4 dated 11/8/22, thats far too old, i would look at updating it to bring all the agesa updates which will probably make your cpu run faster than 3.7ghz.

OP's using Team Group - UD4 3200mhz ddr4 modules (4*8gb kit)
Yeah that sounds more like it
Asus shove their name on so many products
Couldn't be 100% sure
They hadn't shoved tuf gaming label on someone's ram

Back
Top Bottom