can't decide on language

Soldato
I have a little knowledge in C++ , messed about with java a bit but my friend who works as a Oracle DBA as suggested c# as the language I should try and learn.

Do you have any views as I want to really knuckle down over the next few months and get some experience under my belt. But I can't decide what to do I think maybe C++ as i have most experince with that but have been told its a lot more technical to learn?

advice please :p

Soldato
There is a distinct lack of good beginners tutorials in C++, but if you can learn it then it'd be a good choice.

Otherwise, Java, or maybe Visual Basic .net. There's not much of a market for VB6 programmers nowdays, though.

You always have php, asp, sql, etc, too... Would recommend going down the asp route if you decided to learn some web scripting - they seem to be in more demand :confused:

Suspended
pop over to gamedev.net

They started an online workshop this week for people wanting to learn C#, ive had a busy week so havet started yet, it is my aim for this afternoon to get it done.

use this to learn c#, ive been told that the jump from c# to c, c++ is a lot easier than just trying to learn it on your own.

Soldato
C# is probably your best bet these days – it (along with .NET) is picking up a huge amount of momentum in the business world, as well as being a wonderful language in its own right.

furnace said:
You always have php, asp, sql, etc, too... Would recommend going down the asp route if you decided to learn some web scripting - they seem to be in more demand :confused:
Don't learn ASP; it's dead. Learn ASP.NET if you want to go down the web programming route. This will involve learning VB.NET or C# though.

Soldato
Don't learn ASP; it's dead. Learn ASP.NET if you want to go down the web programming route. This will involve learning VB.NET or C# though.

Come on asp isn't quite dead yet :) we use it all the time at work as the application is mostly written using clasic asp, vb6 and active x COM's. But as far as develping new system yes clasic asp is dead really and .Net is the way forward.

Soldato
I'd say C# is a good place to start, very similar style to Java but seems more widely used these days.

I can recommend 'Learning C# 2005' on O'Reilly for a beginner.

Soldato
No language is dead yet, there are still companies who use Smalltalk and *shudder* FORTRAN etc...

Well, you'd be pressed to find a company using QBasic I guess :D

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Shoseki said:
No language is dead yet, there are still companies who use Smalltalk and *shudder* FORTRAN etc...

Well, you'd be pressed to find a company using QBasic I guess :D

Funny you should say that. Had one of my customers from TWENTY years ago contact me in March to ask if they could make a change to their program which was done in GWBasic!! :eek:

Felt quite proud my little program had lasted so long!

Back
Top Bottom