Can’t download BBC podcasts behind VPN

Soldato
Hello.

I subscribe to a number of BBC podcasts and listen via either Apple Podcasts or Pocketcasts but recently I have started to get a message saying ‘download failed, error 404 forbidden’ when I’m behind my VPN (NordVPN). The only way to get the podcasts to download is to temporarily switch the VPN off. My VPN region is set as the UK.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this?

Many thanks.

M.

Soldato
Hello.

I subscribe to a number of BBC podcasts and listen via either Apple Podcasts or Pocketcasts but recently I have started to get a message saying ‘download failed, error 404 forbidden’ when I’m behind my VPN (NordVPN). The only way to get the podcasts to download is to temporarily switch the VPN off. My VPN region is set as the UK.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this?

Many thanks.

M.

Might be restricted to UK only? Try choosing a UK location within the VPN and see if you can download.

Man of Honour
You absolutely can use iPlayer/other BBC services with a VPN, you just need to be clever about it.

BBC want to know your IP, as they can force your ISP to give your details up and send you letters about getting a licence. Because of this, they routinely block connections from known VPN provider IPs.

You need to use one of NordVPNs features, "obfuscated servers". Try different ones in the list, as some may work at some times and others may be blocked by BBC. Google about regarding this for more suggestions about the currently working servers.

Soldato
I didn't think nordvpn was a full blown vpn, its cheap and just edits some headers, no ? (like setting a browser user agent)
I'd specced it for usa netflix/hbo access, but knew it was not comprehensive

edit: looking at my interenet history maybe i'm confusing smart dns & vpn

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
BBC pull down IP lists from various sources to block VPN access.

So if you’re VPN IP isn’t on one of those lists you’re ok, if it is then not so ok :)

I forget the name of the company they use for this service.

Permabanned
Surface pro.

Perfect solution, hard drive with content on. :p

Thank me later when the net goes to pot with blocking all over the place. Streaming is a no go for public WiFi.

BBC are pretty sharp blocking VPNs.

Wonder how it works... Probably on the network owner details.

Maybe when they get so many people accessing the content from the same IP it flags up how many users are on that IP and poof, blocked. I would say there is an automatic system in place. So many users from a certain IP address would be my first guess.

Back
Top Bottom