Can't figure out if problem is with CPU or Motherboard

Associate
Hi there,

I ordered an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX from overclockers to pair with a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. After the new build I can't hit post and a red led on the motherboard lights up indicating an issue with the CPU. Built it three times now, had a more techy friend come over and check all the connections were correct and he even had the latest MSI b450 tomahawk max bios update on a USB drive we attempted; but there was no indication of any function and he left the pc the same way it was before he arrived. He says he'd bet it was a doa motherboard, but I think it could be the CPU or an error we've overlooked building and rebuilding the thing. Is there a way for me to check the motherboard's functionality and being certain there is an issue there before a return or does anyone have any other advice I can try?

Are the 4/8 pin EPS power connections plugged in? The ones near the CPU socket.

Try it with just one stick of RAM and the graphics card connected. Remove any other components.

Have you built it out of case, just laid on the carboard box, with minimal stuff plugged in, one stick of ram, no drives etc. (you should always built it out of the case to start with, it saves a lot of hassle that way in the long run)

Make sure:

Unplug or turn PSU off

Remove battery

Find CLRTC jumper and short it for a few seconds

Replace battery.

clear cmos/short jumpers was first thing i tried
and yeah i always turn psu off then press on/off button few times for good measure as when you have leds on the board you can see power actually doesnt go off immediately-capacitors would be my guess?
no joy
mine was actually working to start with though unlike guy in this post so may not help them any way but its easy to try so cant hurt

mine went dead for no apparent reason

just occurred to me that this is first non asus board have had in years and this gigabyte board may have a dual bios switch?
guess i better read my user manaul more thoroughly than the quick glance i did give it since dual bios is kinda usual with gigabyte i think

make sure the backplate tags arent touching any thing they shouldn't be, got the same motherboard and cpu recently and had a back plate tab in my ethernet slot and the back plate was bulging a bit, noticed it before i powered it up though and some guy had a similar issue on his carbon, msi back plates suck :(

i hope you get it sorted, as some guys say check theres no bent pins, if there are they are easy to fix, my old phenon II rig ended up with bent pins because i let a mate take it out when reseating it,, the daftie just pulled it out and had the heat sink attatched to my cpu out the board,, he should done a slight wiggle twist, got it sorted and pins back into place and that cpu lived for years, it still lives :)

edit: if you have bent pins things like a bank card helps to straighten them out enough to fit in the socket and once it fits the socket will straighten them out :)

Last edited:
As there is no mention of a gfx card in the OP post and he is using a 3600 cpu my money is on this being the problem :)

Sorry I forgot to mention, EVGA 1660 super is my gfx card.

Tried a different USB with a BIOS update, we got flashing lights with basic components and looked like the update was working this time. Breadboard build, turned on power after update to the same result; solid red LED indicating issue with CPU. Checked all the CPU pins and the socket and looks perfect. Tried an older version of the BIOS update but same again.

Trying to get someone to loan my a spare CPU or mobo this week.

Installation of a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, which works fine in my friends PC, also results in a solid red led light indidicating issue with CPU. I feel I'm safe to ask for a return/refund or replacement after these steps?

Installation of a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, which works fine in my friends PC, also results in a solid red led light indidicating issue with CPU. I feel I'm safe to ask for a return/refund or replacement after these steps?
Sounds like it. Good effort on analysis though, lots of people would have just sent it back!

Back
Top Bottom