Can't get RAM to run at XMP speed

Associate
Hi all. Looking for a bit pf advice if possible
Just put together my new system and I'm having a few teething issues.
Spec is Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, 3700x watercooled, 5700XT and memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. Build all went together nicely apart from a bug where the bios was unusable until Windows was installed but that's another issue.
According to Thaiphoon this memory is actually Samsung B die so I was expecting it to work without too many problems. Even hoped for a little overclock. Problem is I can't get it working at 3200. I had a couple of blue screens so ran HCI memtest and got immediate errors. Everything else in the system at stock. Then ran memtest86 from usb and got several hundred errors. Reset bios to default and started again. Manually set dram voltage to the specified 1.35v, loaded xmp and tried again - lots of errors. Manually set the primary timings, same issue. Read a suggestion to start at a lower speed and increase in 300MHz increments which I did and everything is fine up to and including 3133 is error free. As soon as I pick 3200 it's errors again. Tried upping ram to 1.4v but no better. Could I have a rubbish IMC or just poor RAM?
I must admit that this is my first AMD build since the skt939 days so I may well be doing something really dumb here.
Really appreciate any advice

Soldato
I had a couple of blue screens so ran HCI memtest and got immediate errors. Everything else in the system at stock. Then ran memtest86 from usb and got several hundred errors. Reset bios to default and started again. Manually set dram voltage to the specified 1.35v, loaded xmp and tried again - lots of errors.
RMA your memory - you have a faulty stick/s.

You could test each stick individually to identify the offending stick - but you will still have to send the kit back as a whole.

Associate
OP
Think I have it working after some playing about. Set everything to optimized defaults again and didn't bother with XMP at all. Set voltage and primary timings manually. Ran through memtest a few times with no errors.
Just out of interest I knocked the memory speed up one notch at the same timings just to see what would happen but memtest was a sea of red. Certainly not going to be clocking this stuff!!

Soldato
Think I have it working after some playing about. Set everything to optimized defaults again and didn't bother with XMP at all. Set voltage and primary timings manually. Ran through memtest a few times with no errors.
Just out of interest I knocked the memory speed up one notch at the same timings just to see what would happen but memtest was a sea of red. Certainly not going to be clocking this stuff!!
Are you running at 3200MHz as the 3700X/X570 combo should handle this without any issues (even B450's).

Have you tried @bledd's suggestion as you may have an early BIOS.

If you can't run 3200MHz at defaults without errors i would swap out for Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (make sure AES is within the product code - E-Die). Memeber's are getting this to clock over 3600MHz/tight timings with ease ~£80 (unfortunately OcUK don't stock it)

Associate
OP
Have it running at 3200 16-18-18-18-36 using F4L bios (newest beta). Ran 2 full passes of memtest with no errors. Not the tightest timings in the world but actually the spec of the memory so can't really complain. Was really hoping to hit 3600 on the cheap but not a chance with this kit despite Thaiphoon reporting b die.

Soldato
Have it running at 3200 16-18-18-18-36 using F4L bios (newest beta). Ran 2 full passes of memtest with no errors. Not the tightest timings in the world but actually the spec of the memory so can't really complain. Was really hoping to hit 3600 on the cheap but not a chance with this kit despite Thaiphoon reporting b die.
Unfortunate - and very unlucky if B-Die. (They used to be predominantly Hynix - yours is acting like Hynix. Although, would still expect them to hit XMP with zero issues.)

I can really recommend the Crucial if they screw up - similar price, very different performance/clocking/tighter timings.

Associate
OP
Unfortunate - and very unlucky if B-Die. (They used to be predominantly Hynix - yours is acting like Hynix. Although, would still expect them to hit XMP with zero issues.)

I can really recommend the Crucial if they screw up - similar price, very different performance/clocking/tighter timings.

Would that be BLS2K8G4D32AESBK?
Might just grab a set and try it out. Not really sure if there's much of a performance difference but having done a bit more reading getting to 3600 for the 1800 IF clock might be worth it.

Soldato
Would that be BLS2K8G4D32AESBK?
Might just grab a set and try it out. Not really sure if there's much of a performance difference but having done a bit more reading getting to 3600 for the 1800 IF clock might be worth it.
Yes, those are the ones.

They can hit the magic 3733MHz (obviously i'm not guaranteeing this) - search the forums 'tamzzy' and 'journey' as they in particular have had great success with 3200MHz kits (Journey with 3000MHz kits on b450 boards). The gains aren't that huge - but if you're returning the memory it's worth the punt.

*If buying, note you can get them for £80 - all i can say due to forum rules.

Associate
OP
Yes, those are the ones.

They can hit the magic 3733MHz (obviously i'm not guaranteeing this) - search the forums 'tamzzy' and 'journey' as they in particular have had great success with 3200MHz kits (Journey with 3000MHz kits on b450 boards). The gains aren't that huge - but if you're returning the memory it's worth the punt.

*If buying, note you can get them for £80 - all i can say due to forum rules.

Just ordered some. Now hiding emails as they arrive to prevent a divorce. Hopefully the rainforest will take the other set back due to the number of errors they generated with stock xmp settings.

Back
Top Bottom