Can't join Homegroup

Associate
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a network between my PC and my Microsoft Surface Pro by creating a Homegroup (both have Windows 8 Pro installed on them). After setting up a Homegroup on the one I don't get the option to join that Homegroup on the other. It doesn't seem to matter which I create the original Homegroup on as the other PC doesn't see a Homegroup to join.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Make sure both have different computer and user names, ie if pc1 was called User and pc2 was called User they would not see each other.

Worth a try otherwise someone one here maybe able to advise better.

Soldato
I might not be much help as I know nothing about Win 8, but going back to basics; how are the two networked together? Can they see each other okay over that network?

Soldato
Oh right.

Not sure how you can expect them to join the same homegroup if they can't even see each other on the network so I'd concentrate on sorting that first :)

If Win 8 is anything like 7 there should be a network connection wizard to help you through it.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I also remember seeing that it has to be set to WORKGROUP on both PCs (well at least the workgroup names need to be the same or something). I'ma at a loss. The last time I set up a network was on XP about 3/4 years ago. Setting up a Homegroup is meant to be easy :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just checking... how are both PCs connected to the router?

Oddly enough, I have the same username on my desktop (Win 7) and laptop (Win 8) and both can connect to the same homegroup :p.

Soldato
Sorry fella, I can't really help any further as I don't know Win 8

Just looking through that guide you linked to though - have you gone through all of the steps, especially the ones in the red box?

Associate
OP
Just looking through that guide you linked to though - have you gone through all of the steps, especially the ones in the red box?

Thanks any way :) Pretty much I think the only thing I couldn't fins was the D-Link/WLAN stuff.

Check the network type is set to 'home' on both and not 'public'

Do you have a 3rd party fire wall

Thanks. I'll check up on that in a bit. The fire wall on the PC is using ESET's and the Tablet is using the built in MS one.

Back
Top Bottom