Can't seem to connect to iPhone by SSH

Associate
I'm trying to connect to my iPhone via SSH following this guide:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guide/short-and-sweet-ssh-guide-for-the-iphone-300323.php

Unfortunately I can't seem to connect, using Terminal - 'On Mac, just type in "ssh root@IPADDRESS" without the quotes. Accept any authentication requests that pop up. Type in "dottie" as the password when prompted.' Nothing happens after I type ssh root.., no authentication or request for password

So i've tried using a couple of programs e.g. RBrowser but I can't seem to get it working through those either, it just says connection refused.

The iPhone is 1.1.4, with BSD subsystem 2.1, Community Sources 3.8 and OpenSSH 4.6p1-2

I find the wifi drops off when the screen powers down, make sure it's unlocked when you connect.

If you're using Putty, on the connection menu turn the keep alives on to see it that helps disconnects.

Associate
OP
ah cheers, that works. I'd still like to use a browser though as I don't know any commands, but Transmit just gave me the same error message as before

Associate
OP
move summerboard themes because they are not working and I read in another post that it was putting them in the wrong place. Have connected now but not getting any folders under root :S

Associate
If you are on a Mac you can use Fugu. If you are Windows based use SCP.

Both have drag and drop of files and a file manager interface

Soldato
ah cheers, that works. I'd still like to use a browser though as I don't know any commands, but Transmit just gave me the same error message as before

Are you choosing SFTP as the protocol like this:

transmit.jpg

Associate
Themes are in /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes

So from terminal type cd /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes

move summerboard themes because they are not working and I read in another post that it was putting them in the wrong place. Have connected now but not getting any folders under root :S

Are they not on the installer on the phone?

If not, as said above get a copy of WinSCP and setup a connection to your phone as root then navigate to:

/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/

Bang the themes in there, you might need to restart the phone to see them.

Associate
OP
all that and it turns out the themes are apparently in the right place under var/mobile/library/summerboard/themes

so I have no idea why they aren't working.. guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling summerboard

Associate
Did you restart the iPhone after installing summerboard?
Can you select any of the themes that ship with summerboard from the summerboard applet?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Fugu was always my weapon of choice for SSH.

It is dead simple to use, but it's Mac only, and the development has died! ha!

Associate
OP
reinstalled summerboard and a theme, restarted iphone, restarted springboard and used boss prefs to fix user dir permissions twice. nothing works! :(

Back
Top Bottom