Caprica

Associate
The new prequel series to BSG begins tonight with the two part pilot on Sky1 at 9pm.

Battlestar Galactica was arguably one of TV's greatest ever dramas, so the prequel was always going to spark feverish anticipation. But can any child live in the shadow of such a tall parent? This two-part curtain-raiser depicts the tragedy that unites scientist Daniel Graystone (Eric Stoltz) and lawyer Joseph Adama (Esai Morales). It's a bonding that brings about humanity's downfall. Caprica displays the same brains and beauty as BSG, but it's slower and gets distracted by bits of virtual-reality gubbins. The real flashes of invention do entice, however...

This looks like it could be interesting, granted it will undoubtedly be much slower than BSG and won't feature the awesome space battles, but from what I've read it investigates some interesting premises surrounding our increasing relationship with technology.
I have faith in the the two creators (Eick and Moore) so I'll give this a good chance.

Please keep any discussion limited to episodes which have been already aired in the uk or the thread will disappear, thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't know what to think yet, pilots always tend to be a bit different to how the rest of the series will be.

I like some of the ideas presented, the idea that a personality can be profiled from footprints left online is intriguing and this series will obviously continue with the theme of social commentary that BSG used.

It's definitely going to be more of a drama series than BSG's action adventure which will undoubtedly put some people off (the lack of space battles alone may do that ;)), so I guess it remains to be seen whether it can hold my interest, but I'll happily watch next week to see how it develops. I just hope it doesn't descend into an angst show as is the tendency of any american series dealing with families at the moment.

Associate
as the other thread got locked. it was a bit meh. crappy.

for some unknown ******* reason.

watched both episodes eventunally last night - not upto BSG standards but has some promise even if the plot seems completely obvious so far.

Are we more than the some of our 'parts' - genetic make up + life experiences = the person you are today? Or is there some x-factor to balance the equation? A soul maybe?

I've series linked anyway and will give it a whirl. It's not really fair to comapre to BSG's space battles - like star trek BSG is much more than some 2nd rate cgi.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's not really fair to comapre to BSG's space battles - like star trek BSG is much more than some 2nd rate cgi.

This may be a problem initially for the series in terms of ratings, some people may watch it thinking it's going to be a continuation of the style of BSG and be put off by the slower pace. Hopefully though it will attract a new audience as well as I think it will probably be more accessable to non-science fiction fans.

Last edited:
Associate
Pacing isn't good so far, but that can be understandable as they have a lot of ideas to introduce, going to give it a few more episodes before I make a full judgement.

Soldato
It's not really fair to comapre to BSG's space battles - like star trek BSG is much more than some 2nd rate cgi.
Considering there are maybe three or four big space battles in the whole of BSG, I always find it a bit silly that people rate that as one of the best things about it. Yes, the escape from New Caprica was awesome, but beyond that, you rarely see much of the actual fights, as the shaky-cam zooming is as much a clever way of preserving the budget as it is a visual style.

Associate
Considering there are maybe three or four big space battles in the whole of BSG, I always find it a bit silly that people rate that as one of the best things about it. Yes, the escape from New Caprica was awesome, but beyond that, you rarely see much of the actual fights, as the shaky-cam zooming is as much a clever way of preserving the budget as it is a visual style.

i agree, I never did rate bsg on the space battles. Sure they add some action but thankfully a limited budget meant the producers had to focus on substance over style...

Associate
I really liked it. It's very polished (acting, score & CGI all excellent) and the basic premise is fascinating. As a big BSG fan it seemed to fit into the bigger picture but defiantly had it's own style and identity.
My only worries are the apparantly low ratings and the fact they took such a big step in the pilot, already explaining so much.

Associate
The first episode i was very unsure about it all and my first judgement was that it was going to delve to far into the religous side of it all (boring).

However!!

The second episode changed my view completely as everything started to link to BSG and how it all came about. I am however unsure of the link between the Graystones and Adamas apart from Joseph and Daniels desire to see their daughters again and how this will play out in the series.

I think that in future episodes we will see Joseph finally perfect in creating a 'cylon zoe' and give it a human appearance (Start of the skin jobs from BSG) which will probably back fire on him leading to the start of the end of caprica :)

So far its ok so i will reserve further judgement until later.

Associate
OP
I think that in future episodes we will see Joseph finally perfect in creating a 'cylon zoe' and give it a human appearance (Start of the skin jobs from BSG) which will probably back fire on him leading to the start of the end of caprica :)

If I remember the BSG miniseries correctly (been a long time since I watched it so I may be wrong) wasn't that the first time they'd seen a skin job? I think up until then they all looked like the cylon we saw at the end of the Caprica pilot.

Don
On the whole, the first two episodes were ok. There are a couple of niggling items that really got to me though:
1. The Dell widescreen monitor in the daughters bedroom
2. The Ford Focus car in a background shot
3. The use of combustion engine cars

BSG has always been very good at separating "Caprica" life from "Earth" life, e.g. No Coca-Cola or big name brands and making sure that although day to day life was comparable there was a definite difference. Those 3 items above detract from that.

Soldato
If I remember the BSG miniseries correctly (been a long time since I watched it so I may be wrong) wasn't that the first time they'd seen a skin job? I think up until then they all looked like the cylon we saw at the end of the Caprica pilot.

yes the cylons upgraded themselves to look like humans .

there was a 40 year hiatus from the peace agreement of the cylons and the colony. no one had seen or heard from the cylons, until the they came back after 40 years and wiped out the colony, it wasn't until then the humans discovered a new version of cylon. the skinjobs. aesthetically perfect to humans.

so we wont see the creation of a skin job on caprica as that's not how they was created.

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite liked it but its different to what i imagined so far, i don't know why but i get a sarah connor chronicles vibe from it, like the second season where they create the ai, though not just the story, its the look and feel of the show, maybe its just me but does anyone else get what i mean?

Soldato
A far more interesting spin-off would be following Admiral Cain and the Pegasus before the war, blowing up space pirates, defying the admiralty and generally being bad-ass.

Back
Top Bottom