Car accident. Insurance advice

Soldato
Had an accident in car today.

Lady went into side of me off of a pavement with her car (she was parked outside her house on pavement).

She admitted fault. Exchanged details.

I rang my insurance and reported accident. All passenger side of my car scraped and dents down the side.

My insurance said they can go ahead and arrange the repairs or wait for lady's insurance.

Lady's insurance rang me but i was in work and when i rang back they had closed.

What is the best way to sort it?

Shall i go along with my insurance to get repaired or not? My insurance said they would get the Lady's insurance to pay them.

Soldato
OP
did they not say what the difference was between them arranging the repairs now vs waiting?

paying an excess/losing no claims bonus?

My insurance said i would need to pay excess if her insurance refused liability i think. But, if i went ahead with my insurance sorting the repairs i could schedule the repairs asap or as soon as her insurance admit fault.

Not sure what the best move would be. My insurance have already gotten their repair company to email me plus hire car company too. They want me to book car in for repair.

Her insurance want me to contact them.

Soldato
If the other driver's insurer are offering to sort your repairs and provide you with a courtesy car then personally I'd say let them!

Saves you having to pay your excess and then claim it back! (some insurers will do this for you but not all!)

It won't affect your no-claims but since your insurer are already aware there will be a non-fault accident on your record (this shouldn't affect any furure premiums but some insurers do take them into account!)

Soldato
OP
If the other driver's insurer are offering to sort your repairs and provide you with a courtesy car then personally I'd say let them!

Saves you having to pay your excess and then claim it back! (some insurers will do this for you but not all!)

It won't affect your no-claims but since your insurer are already aware there will be a non-fault accident on your record (this shouldn't affect any furure premiums but some insurers do take them into account!)

Ok, so i will ring her insurance company as i have a claim number from them and see what they are suggesting.

Soldato
My insurance said i would need to pay excess if her insurance refused liability i think. But, if i went ahead with my insurance sorting the repairs i could schedule the repairs asap or as soon as her insurance admit fault.

Not sure what the best move would be. My insurance have already gotten their repair company to email me plus hire car company too. They want me to book car in for repair.

Her insurance want me to contact them.

How urgently do you need your car?

I was always under the assumption that you're better off letting the third parties insurance deal with it. If you claim through your insurance and the woman then doesn't admit liability, then you may be in for a long fight for the insurance company to side with you. In the meantime you're if you end up with a renewal you'll currently have a claim on your record - as at that point your insurance company won't have been reimbursed for the payout.

Soldato
I wouldn't talk to their insurance. They are probably trying to get a statement from you, something along the lines that you were not hurt or trying to get you to inadvertently admit liability. You have reported it now let your insurance do the talking and be careful when talking to anyone on the phone who rings you to talk about the accident.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't talk to their insurance. They are probably trying to get a statement from you, something along the lines that you were not hurt or trying to get you to inadvertently admit liability. You have reported it now let your insurance do the talking and be careful when talking to anyone on the phone who rings you to talk about the accident.

Thats true. Good point.

Man of Honour
Using your own insurance means you will probably have to pay your excess if her insurance does not admit fault. However because you have contacted your company already, then I would deal directly with them. I now don't see any advantage in talking to the third party company. As mentioned above they would be looking to defend the claim with any statement you make. Her insurance company is interested only in keeping costs and liability down, rather than protecting your interests.

Soldato
OP
Using your own insurance means you will probably have to pay your excess if her insurance does not admit fault. However because you have contacted your company already, then I would deal directly with them. I now don't see any advantage in talking to the third party company. As mentioned above they would be looking to defend the claim with any statement you make. Her insurance company is interested only in keeping costs and liability down, rather than protecting your interests.

Should i contact my insurance and let them know that hers want me to ring them?

Back
Top Bottom