Car acident

Associate
OP
When I asked for a copy of footage from all 3 cameras which look at the entry, exit and playground where my car was parked near I've been refused due to data protection act. Can they do that? When I spoke to the guy who reviewed the footage he said he saw nothing but was a bit nervous for an unknown reason? Later saw him in his car arguing over a phone ( I didn't hear much as he ended the call when he saw me?).

Should I contact the estate superiors directly rather than their estate office for our community, for a copy of the footage? I have no idea what to do. I only have a driving licence for 2 years and I'm just 20 so I don't have much experience or knowledge of laws so any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Probably one of their own vehicles and they don't want to pay up.

Since it's technically criminal damage (as they drove off without leaving details), you could get the police involved and they will be able to see the footage.

Soldato
How about phoning the police? I believe leaving the scene of accident or failing to report an accident are still crimes, and as such fall well and truly under their purview.

Associate
I'm surprised you haven't phoned the police already. A crime has been committed so they need to be involved. Tell them there is video evidence to look at to find the person responsible but you are being denied access to it. They will be able to view it for sure.

Soldato
I'm surprised you haven't phoned the police already. A crime has been committed so they need to be involved. Tell them there is video evidence to look at to find the person responsible but you are being denied access to it. They will be able to view it for sure.

This get he police involved and they will surely hand over the footage. Even if they can't see the hit, they hopefully might have caught someone with the other half of the damage.

Associate
OP
I've phoned the police at 101 and got a log number. I was advised to visit local police station which I did. I left the car parked where the accident occurred and went on the bus to city centre. On the arrival, a lady police officer told me that this is private estate and I need to contact the estate regarding the footage and if there is an evidence, they will investigate further. Please don't judge me I'm only 20. I know it's not an excuse to say I don't know the laws.

Soldato
I've phoned the police at 101 and got a log number. I was advised to visit local police station which I did. I left the car parked where the accident occurred and went on the bus to city centre. On the arrival, a lady police officer told me that this is private estate and I need to contact the estate regarding the footage and if there is an evidence, they will investigate further. Please don't judge me I'm only 20. I know it's not an excuse to say I don't know the laws.

That sounds like tosh to me, if a crime has happened it doesn't matter where the hell it happened, they are just trying to fob you elsewhere first. Report to them that the estate is refusing to co-operate and that you would like it investigated as their is CCTV in the area that should help identify the vehicle involved.

Soldato
Police won't be interested. My sister in law had the dawn sort of thing even found the car that did it after driving around for a bit. They still weren't interested told to just phone insurance is what is for.

Good luck I hope you get a reasonable result out of this.

Associate
https://www.cctv.co.uk/how-to-request-cctv-footage-in-the-uk/

This may help. Not sure they can refuse to give you copies?

How I understand it is, you can request a copy of CCTV footage of yourself under the Data Protection Act, but they can't supply footage of other people due to the same act and having to protect other people's data. An exception to this would be if a crime has been committed, just as in this case, but the Police would need to request it. So I would go back to the police and press them further for getting the footage. The fact that it's on a private estate shouldn't make any difference to a crime being committed and evidence needing collecting. If they refuse, either make a complaint or ask to speak with someone more senior. Nothing to lose.

Saying that, I can't imagine the police having the time to trawl through hours upon hours of footage, so that could be an issue if you don't have a reasonable time frame for them to look at. This is where knocking on people's doors in the close vicinity and asking if the heard a loud bang could have come in very useful for narrowing the time frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
The police don't seem to care about most things these days. Tell them it's a twitter troll then they will be right there :p

Associate
The police don't seem to care about most things these days. Tell them it's a twitter troll then they will be right there :p

+1

Sadly very very true. I have zero faith in my local force to do anything but watch. You have a crime number now, should be all you need to go through your insurance.

Some lovely people out there.

Associate
Hi mate, even if you get a new door judging by the picture it won't line up (I used to be a mechanic for the VAG tuning company in Europe)

Judging from that picture alone, I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. It looks ok to me but impossible to tell.

@OP - Can you open the Door ok? If you can, that's absoutely the first place to start! Try and then assess the damage visually.

You should try and locate a local reputable body shop and ask for them to assess the damage establishing what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Get two or so quotes from elsewhere, compare and make a decision as to whether or not you fork out the money, or go via your insurance.

Associate
Go straight back to the police and state what has been mentioned in this thread. The information you were told at the police station suggests they can't do anything if your house is broken into because it's private property - what are the police there for then!

Associate
OP
I have just opened the doors, there is no dents or bends on the inside. It's just the doors I called local scrap yard and they have a the doors I need for 60 pounds with cards speakers etc. So it will be just a matter of changing doors over.

When went to estate I meet a different guy who told me that there were cars vans passing but no damage was seen to their car. The camera are very poor quality by the way. Can't read reg numbers.

Uodate
Got copy of footage and Judging from the angle cameras are placed there is no chance to see the guy as the cameras rotate from one point to another.

I'm not going to claim on my insurance as excess is 700 pounds so it will be cheaper to fix it myself plus premium increase. I'm already paying 100 pounds a month. Thanks for advice. I've learned my lesson and know where to park in my estate.

Soldato
You would still see the moment of impact I suppose. That, plus extra photos of the damage and the timestamp would be strong evidence.

Man of Honour
Doors are very heavy, get someone to hold it steady for you when you unbolt the hinges of the old one and refit the new one. It's not a hugely difficult job, just a bit awkward. Tape up the door bottom and side edges to prevent it scratching the sill before you've got it properly lined up.

Back
Top Bottom