Car Allowance

Man of Honour
Oh you can.

So if said person gets £350 a month, but they have a car which is worth £10k, but due to doing 10-15k business mileage could lower the resale value of the car over a 2 year period, then the extra cost in tyres, brakes, extra servicing, and so on... It is easy to lose money on it.

You're saying it costs more than £350 a month excluding fuel in additional marginal cost to put an extra 15k miles a year on a £10k car?

Soldato
The only way I can see you would 'lose money' via an allowance is the situation Rotty describes where taking the allowance means receiving a pitiful mileage rate vs getting 45p per mile for using a private car, though even then it would need to be a good number of business only miles or a really crap mileage rate for that balance to tip, by the time you allow tax rebates for the lower rate etc.

Soldato
My basic is just under the 40% tax limit, but any extra screws me into the 40% rate. Which is why a car allowance is a bad move for me.

That makes no sense. You'd only pay 40% on the bits over the threshold that you earn, so you wouldn't be worse off :confused:

I currently get £600 per month and 45ppm

Back
Top Bottom