Car Change...

Associate
OP
He does mention there is a company policy to have a car < 8 years old, so might need to change.. Whilst he says they might struggle as they don't have any options they could remove his car allowance if he isn't compliant, so would need to find out for sure..

However, I'd keep his current car and run it in to the ground if I was able to as it sounds a good fit.
Yes, it is a bit of a grey area at the moment within the company, you've some people who for one reason or another have not given up their company cars, others that are blatantly driving older vehicles. It's something of a semi-official blind eye is being turned to.

The running it into the ground idea does appeal in a lot of ways as long as nothing catastrophic happens, it's just taking a gamble when maybe I don't need too. But then you suck it up and either fix or replace.

A bit leftfield but with the new normal of increased car prices and inflation, but a comparable 520d is c.£8k more now at the same age and rough spec as when I purchased mine. I know the new price of cars have risen over the intervening years and demand is keeping 2nd hand prices high currently (and maybe forever?), so i'm tempted to buy now just so my money goes further (inflation) and the worth of my own car isn't too degraded.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't believe I'm gonna be 'that guy' but for £30k you could get an EV that seems like it would fit, e.g. enough range for ~110 miles in a day, and it'd be way cheaper to run assuming you've got off-road parking for a charger?

New the options are a little sparse, MG4 maybe, second hand opens up a fair few options I think.
Yes, a driveway - i'd not considered an EV presently as I don't have solar (which would help) though it is something for the future.

Associate
OP
The digital dashboard is standard.

I don't 'hate' styling packs at all, it's been a very long time since I owned a BMW which didn't have one fitted! But 20 inch black wheels on a 520d isn't great for either comfort or looks. It also has the basic lighting package which they've gone out of their way to make look bad to try and encourage people to upgrade.

It's not terrible but neither is it particularly stand out either - which for a £40,000 520d you'd hope it would be. You can do much better for the money, or you can get something similar for less.

For example, this:

It even has those wheels you like :D

Or for less, a 520d with a Visibility, Comfort and Technology pack:

Alternatively, if the original budget of £30k is to be kept:

Thank you, some nice examples. The one in budget is also good, but who specs a car and misses out a £200ish option of split folding seats when ordering? It boggles my mind with 5 series saloons, also 42k miles with my usage would find me in the same position in a few years.

When I purchased my current 5 I actively went looking for an SE with 17s. I've had M-Sports in the past without adaptive and they're not a great ride in this country when commuting in the winter down our potholed motorways, and jumbo tyres mean you can hit a chasm at speed and not be suffering a blowout/cracked rim (some sections of the M5 around Stroud/Gloucester/Cheltenham were dodge the pothole until very recently for almost a year, not fun in the dark and wet.

PS. Although bought as a AUC, my current car came with 3rd party tints fitted and on attempting to remove I found out why they were left. A nightmare to remove on the rear window without damaging the heater matrix. I'm not a fan of tints (factory or not).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, a driveway - i'd not considered an EV presently as I don't have solar (which would help) though it is something for the future.

You don't need solar really, I don't. I'm on the "Intelligent Octopus" tariff from Octopus (obviously? :p) which gives me 7.5p/kWh when charging the car for a mostly motorway trip I'd expect my MG4 to get maybe 3.3-3.8 miles per kWh so about ~2.5p per mile. It does have a slightly higher 'daytime' tariff but my usage is low so it works, I did make a spreadsheet first to make sure though :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You don't need solar really, I don't. I'm on the "Intelligent Octopus" tariff from Octopus (obviously? :p) which gives me 7.5p/kWh when charging the car for a mostly motorway trip I'd expect my MG4 to get maybe 3.3-3.8 miles per kWh so about ~2.5p per mile. It does have a slightly higher 'daytime' tariff but my usage is low so it works, I did make a spreadsheet first to make sure though :p
That sounds attractive, but I should have mentioned I currently have a fully expensed fuel card - which is also why I haven't seriously considered an EV for my own vehicle.

Last edited:
Soldato
will they give you fair warning if they no longer like your car, say "change it in 30 days or kiss the allowance goodbye"? Run it till they bitch about it if so.

Associate
OP
will they give you fair warning if they no longer like your car, say "change it in 30 days or kiss the allowance goodbye"? Run it till they bitch about it if so.
They'd be doing it to a fair few people if that was so, some quite senior. I guess it is a possiblility though. Like most companies this scheme is split across areas of reponsibility, eg. H&S check your documents are in order license/MOT/Insurance etc. HR (or whatever they call it these days) administer the scheme and payroll pay the allowance, it'd take someone in a board level position to pull those 3 threads together as each part just does it's one bit - anything outside is not their problem. In this instance it's helpful (as you can "get away" with running a car out of scheme) in other ways not so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
(From what you say you hadn't needed to use the warranty in 4 years of ownership ? but maybe felt obliged to run it for company obligations.)

you cant't update the family car and swap to that for commute.

agree on M specced cars for the suspension stiffness/discomfort that that contributes on our local roads (relation had an 5 M) - unless, it's got adaptive, and those on here with adaptive seem to have it set to comfort QED.
X-drive - lost mpg, more mechanical complexity, I'm not driving up to slippery mountain roads regularly and DSC is there anyway
For other comfort options not sure how much they add to price - I'd go as far as questioning HK versus potentially adding a better dsp AMP to lower specced audio system (as some on here have done); full leather would interest me though, the 3 series I've had had dakota/sensa equivalent (does your 5 series have the real deal)

Associate
OP
(From what you say you hadn't needed to use the warranty in 4 years of ownership ? but maybe felt obliged to run it for company obligations.)
No. Never needed to claim on it. As you mentioned, I had it in case of breakdown and the enhanced recovery (it may be the wrong term) includes a car whilst yours is being repaired. Obligation in part to being able to get to my workplace (though that is somewhat flexible now), but also peace of mind.

you cant't update the family car and swap to that for commute.
My wife's vehicle is fairly recent and not really suitable for the commute, she also doesn't like driving the 5. Too low down apparently (she drives a fake SUV).

agree on M specced cars for the suspension stiffness/discomfort that that contributes on our local roads (relation had an 5 M) - unless, it's got adaptive, and those on here with adaptive seem to have it set to comfort QED.
X-drive - lost mpg, more mechanical complexity, I'm not driving up to slippery mountain roads regularly and DSC is there anyway
For other comfort options not sure how much they add to price - I'd go as far as questioning HK versus potentially adding a better dsp AMP to lower specced audio system (as some on here have done); full leather would interest me though, the 3 series I've had had dakota/sensa equivalent (does your 5 series have the real deal)
Not just me then regarding the M-Sport suspension. :). X-Drive is not something i've experienced so can't comment.

From looking at Autotrader, most people would rather add big wheels and other more obvious bling to their vehicles as add-ons, also the way BMW especially set up their packages means you very rarely see any advanced driver assistance as it is included in an expensive package.

My current car is black Dakota leather, the plastic coated stuff, but leather.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've never found the ride quality on a 5 Series with M Sport suspension to be anything other than good - but I've always had 19 inch wheels or smaller.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've never found the ride quality on a 5 Series with M Sport suspension to be anything other than excellent - but I've always had 19 inch wheels or smaller.
I should clarify, my long term experience with M-Sport suspension was 3 series based, not a 5, not being a fan of it on the 3 turned me off it when I came to look for a 5 series. Bear in mind I rarely drive "spiritedly", you can best describe it as "trudgingly" ;)

Also perversely, I still run runflats on the 5 which I know many aren't a fan of but i've changed them from Cinturatos to Continental Premium Contact 6s and they are a marked improvement over the OEM Pirellis.

I'm looking at a few vehicles over the next few days of various marques, if they feel like a real step down, I will be sure to report back here. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A bit of a delay between flash and bang...but I said I'd update thread, and then life happened.

I ended up looking at a number of different cars after my last post; BMW 5 series Tourings (I really didn't want another 3 series, i've worked out over 20 years i've had 4, each progressively worse imo but ymmv) and Audi A6 estates primarily. As after years living with a saloon, I felt the need for something with more room. The BMWs although I love them, were (at least the ones in my budget (early 30s for a AUC) pretty much base spec or the only extra were wheels and the Audis didn't seem to drive any better than what I ended up with, and also both marques were usually at least 3 years old or thereabouts.

So, I ended up with an approved used VW Arteon R-Line 200 diesel Shooting Brake, 10 months old (at purchase) and 8k on the clock, 2 years free servicing and 2 years manufacturer warranty extended in the deal for a further 1 year and a few other bits. Extras over base R-Line spec (at least what is important enough to remember) are nappa leather and ergo comfort massage seats, a full size spare and rear camera. It has the VW Travel Assist as standard as well as the usual Airplay/Android Auto (some of the BMWs I looked at only had Airplay) etc. I bought this early September, and paid less than a comparable Skoda Superb Estate (which I also looked at and wasn't enamoured with, the cabin and fit and finish on the Arteon is far better put together and has a quality feel, which seemed to command a higher premium (at least at the time I was looking) though being a cheaper car to purchase new and not as refined, which i found odd.

After 8 months and 7k miles (and after going through a wet winter), I think it is great for my usage (commuting, a round trip of 110 miles when I go to the office which is almost all motorway, chucking a bike in the back and moving an older kid around the country utilising the boot space (a glorified van essentially)). Not going to lie, but after looking at a sea of black or grey BMWs and Audis (and VWs and Skodas to be fair) I think the recent pic below will explain what sold it to me:

IMG-20240427-WA0007-new.jpg

Although I was initially hesitant of the capacitive controls, after a while I haven't give them a thought, that is one thing I think is hyperbole, although I did miss the BMW dial controls for the infotainment, as it is just so intuitive. Additionally, the driving style after using a ZF gearbox for over a decade (this has a DSG) is quite different and has it's own foibles but isn't worse per se on this model.

Yes, it is a blue fridge diesel. But I like it's looks, it does it's job and with no fuss. I'm happy.

NB. Yes, I know the drive needs cleaning, but it seemed (and was iirc) like the first nice weekend of the year ;) and it is on the list to do.

Edit for extra detail not included above: Standard equipment is very generous for VW, as this is supposed to be their more luxury model. One thing I should have mentioned above, is that it is also quieter (road noise) than a BMW 3 series (the last F30 330d I had I carried ear protectors for some sections of motorway) and dare I say it than a 5 (comparing from a F10 on 17s) though only by a little and may be explained by runflats, it is also much quieter than a Skoda Superb Estate. For balance, things I don't like are fake exhausts and for sheer solidity I liked my F10's interior though I didn't feel the same way about the G31.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A colleague at work was looking at something almost exactly the same late last year. They're very nice indeed and a gorgeous colour that will really pop in the sea of greys, whites and blacks.

Associate
OP
I agree completely :) Kingfisher blue (originally an Audi colour from the 90s), I've only seen one other example in the same colour, though quite a few in flat grey and silver. Not a common car, though they are around if you look for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom