Car insurance no claims 15 years now 9

Associate
hi all,

Car insurance is doing my head in:
I had 15 years no claims in 2023, then took out new policy
This is now ending and says I have a confirmed 9 years (no claims or accidents and I was protected no claims anyway).
On trying to edit this, highest is 9 years or more.

Feels like I have lost a fair few years, however:

On comparison sites on main page I can select 15, the top 4 or 5 I have gone through to pre purchase screen however, you guessed it, drop this down to 9 or more and I guess after a year will say I have 9 years on the proof of no claims. So feels like I wont ever gain more than 9....

I am unwell at the minute, so chance I am missing something obvious and or not explaining very well (the though had occurred to me 9 to 15 makes no difference anyway)

TLDR: had 15 years no claims, its now 9. But all new providers look like they would not move to 10 after another a year anyway. Just confirm 9 or more.

Thanks all

9 is max ncd anyway, some insurers keep adding the years on but it doesn't increase the discount.
You sure about that?

uRQhkL5.png

I'm currently with Sterling car insurance and the max NCD they do is 9. But they still my acknowledge my 14 years and they'll add on another next year.

if you contact your current insurance and ask for a letter with the proper years of no claims
my current i went it in 12 and they wanted to give me 9 when it finishes, called them up and after a bit of hassle they sent me a letter confirming i have 13 years

if i had done this before i would have well over 20, it does make a slight difference to quotes £20-30 or so

You sure about that?

uRQhkL5.png

I'm currently with Sterling car insurance and the max NCD they do is 9. But they still my acknowledge my 14 years and they'll add on another next year.

So your insurance company operates in exactly the same way I mentioned then.

The number of years NCD isn't the full picture, it's the percentage discount an insurer offers for that number of years.

So, if an insurance company offers a 42% discount for having 20 years NCD, such as the max discount in your table, it's a worse deal than another insurer offering 60% discount for 9 years NCD.

Having 9 years max makes sense to me. I'd be just as happy to insure a driver who's been claim free for 9 years as I would for 14 years, and I wouldn't want to potentially miss out on doing business with someone with 9 years because I'm not offering max discount.

My insurer yes. But esure and others as I have shown accept more than 9 years NCD and apply more discount.

Do you not agree?

Edit. And no it's not as simple as the percentage discount. It depends on what the actual premium is in the first place. Which is where having more NCD gives you flexibility on which insurer you choose.

Last edited:
9 is the max for most, but they can knock you down multiple years for making a claim.

The insurance industry is a con.

Last edited:
Morning. Thanks for all the above guys. Confirms I'm not crazy (with this anyway)

For the table posted above I have similar and stops at 9.
Think I'll give them a bell.

It had occured to me to go with my old insurance company from 2022. However they want £580.. a slight jump from my £162 renewal.

I'm also changing cars in the next month to something that will cost more, hence the concern.

Anyway I'll give the current ones a bell tomorrow.

My insurer yes. But esure and others as I have shown accept more than 9 years NCD and apply more discount.

Do you not agree?

Edit. And no it's not as simple as the percentage discount. It depends on what the actual premium is in the first place. Which is where having more NCD gives you flexibility on which insurer you choose.

Ok, I agree with your point about some insurers offering a greater discount to those with a higher number of years NCD than 9.

My point was that it doesn't necessarily equate to a better deal, as evidenced by your own insurance, and mine as it happens.

When I passed 9 years with no claims I noticed it didn't go up, and then learned about this 9 year thing. For the next few years I'd get quotes based on 9 years and actual years, and never made a saving, so I let it go and haven't bothered doing this for years.

The number of years NCD isn't the full picture, it's the percentage discount an insurer offers for that number of years.

So, if an insurance company offers a 42% discount for having 20 years NCD, such as the max discount in your table, it's a worse deal than another insurer offering 60% discount for 9 years NCD.

Having 9 years max makes sense to me. I'd be just as happy to insure a driver who's been claim free for 9 years as I would for 14 years, and I wouldn't want to potentially miss out on doing business with someone with 9 years because I'm not offering max discount.

The percentage discount an individual insurer offers for that number of years isn't the full picture either.

It becomes a problem when you have 15 years, take out a policy with an insurer who only takes 9 years max, they double your premium at renewal, and then when you change to a different insurer who accepts 20 years, you've only got proof of 9 years, so miss out on 7 years worth of discount...

If the insurer only calculates based on 9 years, that's fine, but if your additional years effectively "disappear" because you've chosen them, then it could potentially cost you more in the long run!

Shock as your NCD is affected by making a claim and more so the more claims you make :confused:

I can see how it's a con - logically, you should lose ALL your NCD for making a claim.

How can you have a NO CLAIMS discount if you've made a claim?! :confused:

It's even "worse" that you can pay to "protect" your NCD; effectively making it just a way of proving how long you've held insurance for, regardless of whether you've made a claim or not.

I had this a few years ago and it turned into a nightmare. The insurer I switched to wanted proof of my entitlement or they would drop it to zero. The previous one did it automatically from the insurer before them but my renewal from them only stated 9 years. I had to go back three or four previous insurers to obtain a paper trail that I could pass from one to the other and so on and a couple of them really messed me around and I had to really push them to get the correct number of years to pass on to the next insurer. I got most of it back but still lost a couple of years somewhere but after all the hassle I went through I couldn't be bothered to fight for the last couple of years as I would have to start the process all over again. Since then I have insisted on a NCD entitlement of the correct number of years in writing from every insurer at the end of the year. Some will push back and state this 9 year bs but eventually they comply. Don't be afraid to fight for getting what you are owed.

I had this a few years ago and it turned into a nightmare. The insurer I switched to wanted proof of my entitlement or they would drop it to zero. The previous one did it automatically from the insurer before them but my renewal from them only stated 9 years. I had to go back three or four previous insurers to obtain a paper trail that I could pass from one to the other and so on and a couple of them really messed me around and I had to really push them to get the correct number of years to pass on to the next insurer. I got most of it back but still lost a couple of years somewhere but after all the hassle I went through I couldn't be bothered to fight for the last couple of years as I would have to start the process all over again. Since then I have insisted on a NCD entitlement of the correct number of years in writing from every insurer at the end of the year. Some will push back and state this 9 year bs but eventually they comply. Don't be afraid to fight for getting what you are owed.

That does sound like a complete ballache.

I've not been asked for proof of NCD for about 10 years, there's some sort of online check and then it says NCD confirmed.

I can't remember who was with over the years and would have to resort to banks statements.

Having said that, proof of 9 years is enough for me.

Final update all, thanks for all the advice, will probably end up throwing in the towel and just accepting the reduction to 9.
Aviva was £280
Esure (Thanks Kona!) was £397
Having a go with Sterling, (also thanks Kona) their search engine seemed the most comprehensive, reminded me of when I was with Adrian Flux years ago. will speak on the blower with them tomorrow.

So at least I feel like I have been pro active about it, but insuring with my current provider again at £142 seems the logical choice thus far.

Yeah I had this recently OP. applied and stated my correct NCD in years (13)

Then when I checked my proof from the previous provider, it stated 9. So was a bit worried what would happen if the new policy required to see that proof.. but they haven't asked so I guess if it comes up it will just come out in the wash.

I then looked in to it as you are here and also found that most cap at 9 anyways

Back
Top Bottom