car insurance question

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice about car insurance.
so a bit of background.

The car i am using right now is under my fathers name.
the insurance: my father is the policy holder and myself and my sister are named drivers.
the insurance is due to renew and it has gone up to 700+ quid.. far too much. we have done compare websites (multiple) and it is still very high with my father being the policy holder.
now what I have done was put my name as the policy holder and my father and sister as named drivers and it has dropped to just over 300. BUT my dad still owes the car.
Can we do this? or will I have to become the car owner to be the policy holder? hope this makes sense.

many thanks

Soldato
Hi all,

so a bit of background.

the insurance: my father is the policy holder and myself and my sister are named drivers.
the insurance is due to renew and it has gone up to 700+ quid.. far too much. we have done compare websites (multiple) and it is still very high with my father being the policy holder.
now what I have done was put my name as the policy holder and my father and sister as named drivers and it has dropped to just over 300. BUT my dad still owes the car.
Can we do this? or will I have to become the car owner to be the policy holder? hope this makes sense.

many thanks

It doesn't matter who owns the car, what's important is who is the main driver?

From what you've posted - "The car i am using right now" - it sounds like you are the main driver, so what you are doing now - with the insurance in your name - is correct.

If the insurance was previously in your father's name, but you were the main driver, then technically that is insurance fraud, known as "fronting".

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the quote you got question if you are the owner of the car?

Obviously you won't be the owner but the main driver, make sure you get the details correct as you could have insurance cancelled (makes getting insurance in the future a lot more expensive\difficult) or at worse be breaking the law.

Soldato
Although sounds like op is principal driver,
sounds curious if premium is much less, his no claim bonus unless he's had another car recently, probably lower than parent,
least ways I'd want to understand which of his parameters generated favorable quote
( even with retired parents my premiums with similar no-claims/risk-area/car are close to theirs )

Associate
OP
Does the quote you got question if you are the owner of the car?

Obviously you won't be the owner but the main driver, make sure you get the details correct as you could have insurance cancelled (makes getting insurance in the future a lot more expensive\difficult) or at worse be breaking the law.
from what i can see, it says "policy holder" and then "named drivers"

Associate
OP
Although sounds like op is principal driver,
sounds curious if premium is much less, his no claim bonus unless he's had another car recently, probably lower than parent,
least ways I'd want to understand which of his parameters generated favorable quote
( even with retired parents my premiums with similar no-claims/risk-area/car are close to theirs )
I did have another car to get 8+ years of no claim ..but sold it a couple of years ago and been using (sharing )his car since.
i'm just guessing it could do with my Dad's age?

Soldato
Hi all,

so a bit of background.

many thanks
Be careful as most insurers now ask for confirmation on "if the policy holder is the owner and registered keeper". Some insurance companys either refuse to insure if the answer is no or hike the premium

Soldato
You sure about that? I technically own the wife's car yet she's had no bother getting insurance from any of the reputable companies. Prices don't seem any more inflated than they otherwise are at the moment too. I imagine that's a fairly common scenario, so I'd be surprised if it was in any way a problem for an insurer.

Last edited:
Associate
Be careful as most insurers now ask for confirmation on "if the policy holder is the owner and registered keeper". Some insurance companys either refuse to insure if the answer is no or hike the premium

I haven't come across this, as yet at least, and don't really think it can be an issue.

How many cars are leased these days? The RK is the lease company but the lease company is certainly not the main driver.

Back
Top Bottom