Car not moved for 2.5 years - what do I need to do?

Soldato
Hey,

Got myself in a better placed (mentally at least, physically we'll see...) but hoping to get the car back on the road now and could do with some help/pointers!

Mk4 Mondeo Powershift that currently:

• Has a flat battery - trickle charge or jump start? Will the battery still work even if it will start?
  • Keys have flat batteries - easy enough to change
  • Unknown fuel level since I can't currently turn the car on - will this still be viable or need to be emptied and re-filled?
  • Tyres: been sitting for so long in the lovely Scottish weather - worth just getting them swapped out or will they be ok?
If I can't get it started I can obviously get it towed but of course being a semi-auto it's also got the front wheels locked in place which is just another headache.

Help me get back on the road and get this car moving again!

Soldato
That's probably going to be a replacement on all those items.

If the battery has been flat for 2 years then the cells will likely have died and won't hold a charge again.

Fuel, unlikely to do the car any good if it's been sat in the tank that long.

Tyres may have flat spots now, plus perishing etc.

You've not mentioned brakes - they'll very likely be seized. It'll also be well overdue a service, oil and brake fluid will definitely need a change.

Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if you'll be looking at least a grand to get it back on the road. Is the car even worth that?

Soldato
I watch some of the barn find videos on youtube. The first thing they always seem to do, is just start it, then worry about what to do. If old enough they do sometimes change the fuel though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I bought an old (1950's) Wolseley off an elderly chap and it had been sat in his garage, not started, for 14 years. Blew the tyres up, which were admittedly only soft, not flat, checked it had oil, put a decent battery on it and fiddled with the points to get a spark, and fired it up on the at least 14 year old petrol.

Checked it charged, which it didn't, but smacking the dynamo freed the brushes and it gave juice. Checked the coolant, which was fine

The clutch was rusted so I started in gear and drove it round the block jerking the throttle in first gear until it gave up the fight and freed, then drove it 35 miles back from Winsford to Gatley.

Washed it, cleaned it up inside, looked underneath, saw the futility in taking it for an MOT, advertised it sold as seen as a barn find and trousered a nice profit from a fifties Wolseley "enthusiast". (Also known as self flagellating sadists).

Petrol might have evaporated off some of its energy and constituents over a long period, but it's surprising how long it lasts well enough to run an IC engine. At least proper petrol did, God only knows with the Greta dish water you get nowadays though...

Man of Honour
Petrol might have evaporated off some of its energy and constituents over a long period, but it's surprising how long it lasts well enough to run an IC engine. At least proper petrol did, God only knows with the Greta dish water you get nowadays though...

You really wouldn't want to do that with your average super market fuel these days - though petrol you'll more likely get away with it especially if you can mix it with new (not recommended to mix old in with new though if you for instance found some old petrol you had around) you can end up with engine knocking issues, etc. etc.

Diesel another matter - old diesel can go all lumpy and clog stuff up costing £££ in the longer run.

Man of Honour
I watch some of the barn find videos on youtube. The first thing they always seem to do, is just start it, then worry about what to do. If old enough they do sometimes change the fuel though.

I've always found that a bit odd but it is more dramatic for a video - can result in a lot of issues in the longer term which could have been avoided - but I suspect a lot of these just sell the vehicle on to an unsuspecting buyer who inherits those problems.

You definitely want to properly drain and replace oil before any attempt to run an older vehicle which has been sitting around.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to be anal
Charge battery
Drain fuel
Remove spark plugs
Crank over for 30 secs
Replace plugs
Fill up with new fuel
Remove wheels and inspect brakes unseize / de rust / lubricate where required.
Inflate tyres, check for leaks and condition
Refit wheels
Start and drive to MOT.

If you want to just see if its worth the hassle
Charge battery
Start the car
Rock back and forth until brakes free off
Drive to MOT after copious hard braking sessions to clean up discs.

Man of Honour
As and aside and I assume it was stored charged up as the vehicle had a bit of prep - a relative who'd given up driving through old age handed their vehicle on to family to put back on the road after being garaged for about 2-3 years the battery was at least 7 years old and had been unmaintained for 2+, charged up fine and lasted another year before showing signs of needing replacement.

EDIT: Actually I think they might have disconnected the battery in that case - another matter if it has sat there with a small load on it until it has fully discharged.

Has a flat battery - trickle charge or jump start? Will the battery still work even if it will start?

Ideally use a charger with advanced maintenance functions which will do desulphurisation, etc. if you aren't in a hurry the Noco Genius series are good at it in my experience - though the cheaper ones will take awhile especially the 1 amp one which is intended more for trickle/maintenance use than regular charging. AFAIK no need to trickle charge it but something more sophisticated than a jump start would be ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato
You really wouldn't want to do that with your average super market fuel these days - though petrol you'll more likely get away with it especially if you can mix it with new (not recommended to mix old in with new though if you for instance found some old petrol you had around) you can end up with engine knocking issues, etc. etc.

Diesel another matter - old diesel can go all lumpy and clog stuff up costing £££ in the longer run.
The 7% ”bio” diesel over here can actually form a mouldy gunk in the fuel tank filter if left open to atmosphere in the 35-40°C summer heat.

Soldato
My first car was given to me for free by my sister and it had been sat for a couple of years at least. The brakes and clutch were that seized on we had to hitch it to another car and drag it across the yard and down the road till we freed them off lol.

Soldato
As and aside and I assume it was stored charged up as the vehicle had a bit of prep - a relative who'd given up driving through old age handed their vehicle on to family to put back on the road after being garaged for about 2-3 years the battery was at least 7 years old and had been unmaintained for 2+, charged up fine and lasted another year before showing signs of needing replacement.

EDIT: Actually I think they might have disconnected the battery in that case - another matter if it has sat there with a small load on it until it has fully discharged.

Ideally use a charger with advanced maintenance functions which will do desulphurisation, etc. if you aren't in a hurry the Noco Genius series are good at it in my experience - though the cheaper ones will take awhile especially the 1 amp one which is intended more for trickle/maintenance use than regular charging. AFAIK no need to trickle charge it but something more sophisticated than a jump start would be ideal.

The problem there is the cost of a decent battery charger is similar to the cost of a new battery. You might buy a charger and still need a new battery.

Soldato
Hey,

Got myself in a better placed (mentally at least, physically we'll see...) but hoping to get the car back on the road now and could do with some help/pointers!

Congrats!

Mk4 Mondeo Powershift that currently:

• Has a flat battery - trickle charge or jump start? Will the battery still work even if it will start?
  • Keys have flat batteries - easy enough to change
  • Unknown fuel level since I can't currently turn the car on - will this still be viable or need to be emptied and re-filled?
  • Tyres: been sitting for so long in the lovely Scottish weather - worth just getting them swapped out or will they be ok?
If I can't get it started I can obviously get it towed but of course being a semi-auto it's also got the front wheels locked in place which is just another headache.

Help me get back on the road and get this car moving again!

- Battery will need to be replaced after 2 years - the cells will be well and truly dead. When the voltage of the battery falls below like 9-10v it gets permanently damaged - this normally happens after about a month or two of standing (depending on the original health of the battery). After 2 years it'll likely be at 0v and completely damaged beyond repair.

- Yeh just some button batteries from Amazon for £2.99

- Depending on the fuel level you could potentially just brim it with some new fuel and that should work. If you've got a quarter of a tank or less i'd give this route a go. If more than this, you might just have to pop the fuel pipe off in the engine bay and get the pump to pump it through into a bucket. Or just fire it up and see if it starts and get to a fuel station and brim it with some good fuel.

- Tyres this is on inspection IMO - give them a good look over on the tread and outside. Generally an degradation will be on the outside of the tyre where the UV light from the sun causes the rubber to crack and perish. If the tyres are heavily cracked or perished on the side walls, you're best to get them replaced sooner rather than later (you can still drive it to a tyre shop etc)

Brakes are very likely to be locked on (even just from where the brake disc has corroded to the brake pad - just drive through it and they should free off with a bit of oomph) and calipers potentially seized (can't drive through this unfortunately. Same as handbrake. You'll just have to see how it goes.

Like I said, you'lll likely just have to see how it goes with regards to the brakes.

Last edited:
Soldato
check oil levels and start it. Fuel will be fine, seen cars run on 10 year old fuel.

If you’re worried dump some octane booster in the tank.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The problem there is the cost of a decent battery charger is similar to the cost of a new battery. You might buy a charger and still need a new battery.

You can get reasonable chargers fairly cheap if doing it on a budget and/or OP might already have one or have access to one and/or potential for future use might come into the equation. Depends on the battery as well - most vehicles I've owned the batteries are well over £100 for anything decent :(

Soldato
OP
Cheers all for the plethora of advice.

I don't know when the battery was last replaced off the top of my head but it's probably more than 5 years ago so likely need a new one. I think my folks have a trickle charger I can try though assuming it was made before 1934 :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how I get on once I've given it a clean - it's developed it's on moss ecosystem :cry:

Associate
If you want to be anal
Charge battery
Drain fuel
Remove spark plugs
Crank over for 30 secs
Replace plugs
Fill up with new fuel
Remove wheels and inspect brakes unseize / de rust / lubricate where required.
Inflate tyres, check for leaks and condition
Refit wheels
Start and drive to MOT.

If you want to just see if its worth the hassle
Charge battery
Start the car
Rock back and forth until brakes free off
Drive to MOT after copious hard braking sessions to clean up discs.
its a mk4 mondeo sat for 2.5 years:) not 20 years. son just bought a 2008 mondeo tdci gave very little put a battery on it and drove it home... been sat since start of covid.

in fact i think i mentioned this before, we had his old honda accord 2.2 diesel sat at the top of our drive for best part of 5 years, told the guy that bought it it would guaranteed need a new battery he put it on started first turn , drove it to the mot station and it passed , not bad considering it was growing moss and grass all around it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom