Car purchase that has some niggles

Associate
Hi all,

Being really bored, and stuck at home in lockdown since July, I've ended up buying a car.

Just had it delivered that has some niggles with it. Even though I was told that everything was perfect, the usual stuff. Buying after only seeing videos was probably always going to end up with this :(

The dealer is asking for estimates for the repair work and just wanna get your opinions. Ill obviously get actual estimates.

Wheel refurb - 20" - ~£100?

Paint bubbling - ~£400 for an indy (i know of one that i trust) to do full teardown and respray for panel? im always wary of it being done right when patches are done on their own.

This one i'm not sure... can this be fixed? Dont know anyone that can do this.
Strange cuts/dents in the leather/vinyl behind the drivers seat

Thanks all.

Associate
OP
Did you buy a second hand car and not expect it be second hand?
Fair point. Yes I did buy it 2nd hand, but when questioning the dealer to begin with about these very things they said that wheels were perfect, interior was perfect etc too.

There are a few other scuffs etc that are fine for a 3 year old car. But these ones bothered me most.

Associate
Before someone else asks - Why did you buy a car without even looking at it or driving it first?

Regardless, prices seem around right. Probably a bit cheaper for the alloy though especially as the damage is minor. As for the last bits of damage it's difficult to tell if a repair would be possible or if the whole thing would be cheaper to replace.

Associate
Fair point. Yes I did buy it 2nd hand, but when questioning the dealer to begin with about these very things they said that wheels were perfect, interior was perfect etc too.

There are a few other scuffs etc that are fine for a 3 year old car. But these ones bothered me most.
Rust on a three year old car?

Associate
OP
Rust on a three year old car?

I’m not sure there is rust. A paint bubble doesn’t always mean rust, I dont think?

I was asked to provide estimates for the repair work so that they can either pay for it or dispute with the delivery company over it. I may have misinterpreted the request for estimates thinking that they wanted an estimate for everything.. but upon re reading their email, it does say that the bubbling paint is covered under warranty and that they want estimates for the other repair work.

They are currently comparing photos they have vs photos the delivery company has.

Associate
I’m not sure there is rust. A paint bubble doesn’t always mean rust, I dont think?

I was asked to provide estimates for the repair work so that they can either pay for it or dispute with the delivery company over it. I may have misinterpreted the request for estimates thinking that they wanted an estimate for everything.. but upon re reading their email, it does say that the bubbling paint is covered under warranty and that they want estimates for the other repair work.

They are currently comparing photos they have vs photos the delivery company has.
What car is it?

Associate
OP
The whole leading edge of that door is peppered with chips by the looks of it?

Yep, some of it was dirt, but you are right. There are quite a few marks there and I pointed both out to the dealer. Perhaps this is where my misinterpretation has come from over what estimates they wanted.

It an F-Type from a main Jaguar dealer.

Original dealer reply when I sent the photos says this

Just had a look at the photos and the alloy chips definitely weren’t on it when it left and I am 90% certain the leather marks weren’t either, the only thing I am unsure of is the gloss black bit as I can’t make out where it is on the car

If it is bubbling in the paintwork that will be warranty work but the other stuff won’t be

We will get the delivery companies photos now to compare

If you want to get an estimate for the repair work and send it over to us and we will see what we can do for you whether we pay for it or the delivery company as I appreciate you have only just received the car it’s not as if you have been driving it a week and then noticed

So they don't specifically mention the marks being part of the warranty repair, just the bubbling.

Associate
Yep, some of it was dirt, but you are right. There are quite a few marks there and I pointed both out to the dealer. Perhaps this is where my misinterpretation has come from over what estimates they wanted.

It an F-Type from a main Jaguar dealer.

Original dealer reply when I sent the photos says this

So they don't specifically mention the marks being part of the warranty repair, just the bubbling.
Very poor they try it on in the first place, how they have not noticed this, or have and tried it on!!

I mean who is going to accept rust on a three year old car, given its an F Type prob was not cheap.

I assume they will be collecting at their cost to actually put right the 'perfect' car perfect. Why are you now running around for estimates?

14 days just reject it mate, will save you a load of hassle in the long run

Associate
OP
Very poor they try it on in the first place, how they have not noticed this, or have and tried it on!!

I mean who is going to accept rust on a three year old car, given its an F Type prob was not cheap.

I assume they will be collecting at their cost to actually put right the 'perfect' car perfect.

14 days just reject it mate, will save you a load of hassle in the long run

Yeah I do have the 14 days. Obviously would rather keep the thing and make it right, its a dream car. But maybe I need to think about rejecting it :(

That was the last email I had with them so no talk of pickup or what happens next. I wonder if bringing up rejection will spur them on a bit.

Soldato
Yeah I do have the 14 days. Obviously would rather keep the thing and make it right, its a dream car. But maybe I need to think about rejecting it :(

That was the last email I had with them so no talk of pickup or what happens next. I wonder if bringing up rejection will spur them on a bit.
I would you have an the power for now, after 14 days it's that much harder to deal with.
Just ask for it all in writing that they will fix it or your going to reject the car.

Associate
OP
Do you still have there original photos of the listing you can compare back yourself?

I don't actually :( I just checked and the advert has gone now too.

The youtube vid was of equally awesome quality too
Cant really tell from that though.

Interior photos never show the back shelf behind seats :(

The marked wheel and the bubbling is on the drivers side (rear wheel).
@53 seconds in you almost see behind the seat to where the mark would be, but not quite.

Pretty certain this is the actual one because the white mark on base of the seat leather @52 matches.

UPDATE... the video has 1 dislike.. no it wasnt me haha :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom