Car repairs and insurance body shops

Caporegime
What rights do you have to request that parts are replaced vs being repaired?

My car is 6 months old and someone drove into us on a roundabout, third party insurance recommended body shop are saying the rear door can be repaired but I’m really not happy with that, is there anything I can do to request a new door? Or do I have to wait to see the quality of the repair first then if I’m not happy reject it?

This is the damage at the bottom of the door

qJ5ULfx.jpg

Caporegime
OP
No rights, up to the assessor. Can obviously reject if the repair isn't up to standard.

the assessor hasn’t looked at it I believe, all been from the body shop, unless they are the assessor.

What does, “upto standard” actually mean? Like new? Like it was before the guy crashed into me?

Soldato
You can insist on your own (registered) repair shop where you trust their opinion. The insurer may dangle things like a free courtesy car but if you want it to standard that's what I would do.

There is one place I would trust to do a good job and would always take mine there.

Man of Honour
Take it to your preferred bodyshop, get them to quote. The insurer can't stop you doing that but will likely send an assessor. I have used Shorade (high end bodyshop by most measures) for insurance claims (my fault and a third party fault) and both times insurers have signed off the job. Both were via run of the mill insurers too.

Soldato
I'd prefer a repair on something as minor as that. You'll end up with some Chinese pattern part crap that has odd gaps all the way around and none matching paint otherwise.

Caporegime
OP
Repairing would probably require a new door skin anyway, always worth asking the garage.

Deal with the repair yourself at a bodyshop. Get door panel replaced and then send them the bill.

Also can you trust a bodyshop that is gonna end up getting more money for actual work versus, the money being spent on a new door shell.

https://www.carid.com/articles/door-shells-vs-door-skins.html

Take it to your preferred bodyshop, get them to quote. The insurer can't stop you doing that but will likely send an assessor. I have used Shorade (high end bodyshop by most measures) for insurance claims (my fault and a third party fault) and both times insurers have signed off the job. Both were via run of the mill insurers too.

I'd prefer a repair on something as minor as that. You'll end up with some Chinese pattern part crap that has odd gaps all the way around and none matching paint otherwise.

what if I’ve already dropped it off at the third parties (Admiral) body shop to get repaired?

@dLockers that's minor damage? The car is only 6 months old so I would expect a new door from Toyota.

I just don’t know what to do, never been in this situation before and I’m pig sick now thinking about the repair.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
what if I’ve already dropped it off at the third parties (Admiral) body shop to get repaired?

If it’s drivable get a second quote from your preferred. The third party I referenced above was Admiral as I recall. They got a big bill for repairing my E Class and like for like car hire but to be fair they were very good to deal with.

Caporegime
OP
If it’s drivable get a second quote from your preferred. The third party I referenced above was Admiral as I recall. They got a big bill for repairing my E Class and like for like car hire but to be fair they were very good to deal with.

yeah it is drivable. I rang them earlier and left a message so hopefully they’ll ring back and I can discuss how they plan to repair and will have take it from there

That definitely is minor damage. New door skin it'll be good as new.

so you think that’s what they may do? Replace the skin? My naivety was thinking they’d fill it.

Soldato
so you think that’s what they may do? Replace the skin? My naivety was thinking they’d fill it.

Yeah it's quite a common repair to replace the outer skin, it's a lot more cost effective than a complete door and the final result you wouldn't know the difference.

If it was a regular bodyshop job you're payinf for, you might find a bodyshop that would beat it back into shape and skim some filler over it.

I appreciate it's a new car and you want the best repair for it, but it is unfortunately in the hands of the insurers. But worst case scenario you can reject it if it's not up to scratch.

Associate
That definitely is minor damage. New door skin it'll be good as new.
yeap if the body shop do a good job.
they will more than likely fill that tbh , i would rather that than a new skin having seen some door skin replacements that went wrong...

if its admirals approved repair centre i think you will find they give you a good guarantee on the repairs, unless they have changed when i used to be involved it was always 3 years on repairs might be more now.

on the other hand looking at the picture again is the half circle at the rear of the door just below the handle actually a shape or dent hard to tell without my glasses if its a dent then skin it.

Caporegime
OP
yeap if the body shop do a good job.
they will more than likely fill that tbh , i would rather that than a new skin having seen some door skin replacements that went wrong...

if its admirals approved repair centre i think you will find they give you a good guarantee on the repairs, unless they have changed when i used to be involved it was always 3 years on repairs might be more now.

on the other hand looking at the picture again is the half circle at the rear of the door just below the handle actually a shape or dent hard to tell without my glasses if its a dent then skin it.

the circle at the rear of the door is just where dirt has been cleaned lol

yes it’s their approved repairer.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I didn't think they replaced parts with OEM anyway, don't they use "insurance approved" reps? Or are body panels different?

Soldato
depends on the bodyshop tbh,

partner scraped my 5 series down a parked car before xmas, probably lighter damage than yours and that ended up with 2 new doors from bmw new door rubbers and half the ruddy car painted to blend it in, final bill was £5300

Back
Top Bottom