Car suggestions / ideas wanted please?

Soldato
So my brother-in-law has had the same car for about 9 years now, a poverty-spec Skoda Fabia 1.2, (I suspect the 55BHP unit) and he's thinking about getting something newer soon, and I'm after suggestions/recommendations to point him towards.
  • Petrol engine. His usage is mostly short, in city driving with a couple of 2hr runs each year, so I reckon he's far better off sticking to a petrol.
  • Size wise, something similar or a bit bigger than the Fabia but nothing too large, ease of parking still a requirement as he parks at lots of different places.
  • Nice place to be. Hard to quantify this, but he spends a lot of time in the car and a 'nice' interior with better than standard seating would be a bonus.
  • Engine size - Economical rather than power oriented ideally, but something with a little more 'kick' than his asthmatic 1.2 unit would be a plus, he barely drives above 60mph these days apparently!
  • Price - Hard to say, I'm out of touch with the car market in general, he'll be buying rather than any kind of finance deal, so I'm thinking maybe an ex-PCP car at 3 years old? Budget, loosely around the £10k mark.
He's based in and around Leeds, so if anyone can recommend any garages/dealerships that they've had really good experiences with, that'd be a bonus too.

So, where should I be looking? :)

Soldato
Engine size - Economical rather than power oriented ideally, but something with a little more 'kick' than his asthmatic 1.2 unit

Has he considered a Vespa? :p

I'd be inclined to suggest a newer Skoda Fabia. Every generation cars get a bit bigger anyway so would probably suit him quite well. Although the 110bhp 1.2TSI engine (get this one as opposed to the 90bhp one) has the same displacement as his current one, the forced induction nature will feel completely different to drive with far more usable power low down and will feel a lot more zippy (even ignoring it's 110bhp as opposed to his current 55bhp). It'll happily do 50mpg real world consumption too.

Some others might suggest the Focus with the 1.0l Ecoboost engine which would be a half decent option, but I must say I much prefer the offerings from the VW group of cars than Fords. The Ford interiors just feel...dated and old, whereas the newer Skoda's feel fresh.

Underboss
can you clarify , originally you say he does short trips and the odd 2 hour drive (only twice a year) so how many miles are we talking ?
i ask because later you say he wants something really nice inside because he spends a lot of time in his car

so does he work inside his car and use it to commute too ? :D

im thinking either a Fiesta or a Focus 1.0 ecoboost , titanium X spec

Associate
I'd be inclined to suggest a newer Skoda Fabia. Every generation cars get a bit bigger anyway so would probably suit him quite well. Although the 110bhp 1.2TSI engine (get this one as opposed to the 90bhp one) has the same displacement as his current one, the forced induction nature will feel completely different to drive with far more usable power low down and will feel a lot more zippy (even ignoring it's 110bhp as opposed to his current 55bhp). It'll happily do 50mpg real world consumption too.

As I read the OP, the same suggestion came to mind. I've had a few Fabia 1.2TSI loan cars whilst my Octavia VRS has been in for servicing, and it's a great little car. That unit in the Fabia feels plenty peppy and it's very economical. A used SE L will come with plenty of kit too. Something like this looks like good value.

http//www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810151498992?atmobcid=soc3

Associate
Same size?

Audi A1.

I still maintain they are a small great car.

1.4 TFSI (122ps) would probably be the best engine for him, and buy based on condition/spec.

Partner has a A1 1.4 TFSI Sport and it's a fairly nice place to be, is relatively nippy and returns about 42mpg or thereabouts, probably more if it wasn't subject to a lead foot most of the time!

Back
Top Bottom