Car Write off - Hastings

Soldato
Hi all,

The missis was hit by an idiot driving an Audi way to quick in a carpark.She came around the corner way too quickly and hit my missus mid lane change. Thankfully everyone is ok.

The car is a MK5 GolF GT Sport.

Our insurance is hastings direct - The car has sendimental value to it. The assessor said it would be a write off, they damage is a bent drivers side sill, and bent door. He said that it can be pulled out, but the approved repairer has to have 'all new parts'.

The car has sentimental value - And we would wish to keep it.
The car is driveable - The wheels arches are untouched.

Has anyone had experience with Hastings, and do they let you buy your car back?
I can't really find too much online about it.

It has taken 1 month to get this far - We are awaiting a final decision and it is a horrible wait!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not looking good for you based on a quick search. My boss got hit by a drink driver and because hastings didn't collect the car before it was crushed by the police (it was in the yard months), it wasn't looked at by the other party's insurer so no pay out and it's gone through the ombudsman now. Don't think I'll be renewing with them.

Their app is nice though.

If you can't buy it back from them, it might appear on Copart auctions.

Soldato
OP
We have the car, we have been driving it around as it is driveable.

So, the insurer has never had it in thier possession in the first place. A part from the quick look and quote from the repair centre.

Soldato
Cant you get another garage to quote for the repair at cheaper rate using 2nd hand parts and put that to the insurer?

EDIT: just to add, if its written off and then you buy it back it will be on record as a write off which needs declaring with the insurer and will affect the premium, if you get it fixed it will not be declared a write off.

Soldato
OP
Cant you get another garage to quote for the repair at cheaper rate using 2nd hand parts and put that to the insurer?
They will only use their 'Approved' workshops unfortunately - That was something what was asked.

We have said to them that we wish to keep the car. I was wondering if anyone on here has done the same with success.
Can't really see much online about Hastings specifically. I do know that other insurers let you buy back, while some don't.

Soldato
OP
Don't want to look like a knob when you write to the insurance co
It has been all over phone thus far.
I was asking a simple question if anyone else on here has dealt with the same thing with Hastings. Not, let's be a grammar Nazi and pick at anything not relevant to the question.
If you don't have anything constructive to add. Then please, sod off. :)

The car belongs to you, not the insurer, it only becomes the insurers property if you accept an offer from them.

Ah perfect. That makes sense. I have never needed to actually claim anything before so am very unfamiliar with how it all works.

The accident happened 1 month ago to the day. Took 2 weeks to get the car looked at, then a further two weeks to get to this point. The engineering team spoke to my partner basically saying that it will be an 'uneconomical repair' but couldn't provide any further information. He said that hastings will be in touch with our options, category and if we can buy it back or not.

it is literally the drivers door (Dented and bent) and the sill which can be pulled out.

I really hope that we can - Speaking to our local trustworthy garage it will cost around £800-£1000 to put right. The car has been valued at around £3,500.

Yeah so it will have a CAT rating that says uneconomic repair.
These are exactly the cars people buy to do up and move on

You will need to declare it as such.

All on the assumption that Hastings will let you buy it off them. Generally insurers do as it saves them a job, they just send you a cheque for the difference and cancel your policy.

Sentimental value? You mean first date right ;)

Soldato
Its strange that they forcing you to use their approved repairer, I know its preferred but I have never had issues using another garage once a quote was provided.

Soldato
OP
Yeah so it will have a CAT rating that says uneconomic repair.
These are exactly the cars people buy to do up and move on

You will need to declare it as such.

All on the assumption that Hastings will let you buy it off them. Generally insurers do as it saves them a job, they just send you a cheque for the difference and cancel your policy.

Sentimental value? You mean first date right ;)
Haha no mate. It has been in my partners family for a while, it was her dads old car and it has been really well looked after. Low miles, and it just a really nice car. We wouldn't get one like it for the current prices in the market. We want to keep it for a few years then get a new one. We've had it 4 years already!

Its strange that they forcing you to use their approved repairer, I know its preferred but I have never had issues using another garage once a quote was provided.

Yeah it is a strange one. The information page has updated on our claims, they are going to be in touch within 1 working day. Hopefully with good news.

Soldato
it was her dads old car and it has been really well looked after. Low miles, and it just a really nice car.
can't you pursuade them of its worth when they valueing it, nonetheless ?
presumably you need an experts opinion of the chassis too (ie no cracks, stuff that can't be straightened, other suspension, mechanical deterioration)
- is the assessment so far superficial, and he hasn't looked further than the visible.

Associate
Surely as you've still got the car you just tell them you want to drop the insurance claim? They can't exactly come round and confiscate the car from you.

Soldato
Surely as you've still got the car you just tell them you want to drop the insurance claim? They can't exactly come round and confiscate the car from you.

If they are not at fault and want the car repaired then it will need to go through insurance, unless the other party agrees to repair it at their cost, which is unlikely.

Soldato
I suppose another side-effect is that your/hastings insurer might increase subsequent premiums based on the accident categorization - even if it is fixed
- so might want to check.

Soldato
When my car was lightly pranged in a car park some years ago I offered to fix it myself for half the cost of the authorised repair quote and the insurance company sent me a cheque.

As long as the car is not viewed as being dangerous to drive and is only uneconomical to repair, can you not just offer to fix it yourself and negotiate the price with the insurer? If you are willing to accept less than the write off value of the car that they are going to pay out, then it would make sense for them to do that. Unless there is some reason why this approach is not now allowed?

Associate
i am currently with hastings. 5 years ago my car was written off. Hit by an uninsured driver whilst parked.

car was deemed to be "beyond economical repair" however just needed a new headlight, wing and bumper +trim.

Hastings refused to let me buy this off them, however i was able to freely buy it back from copart, unlike you, i had no sentimental value and didnt follow through due to the hassle of it all.

Back
Top Bottom