Car written off, spec me a replacement!

Man of Honour
Depends on the car and the maths, surely? Just looking at the Ford Focus 2018 on model, for example, and using Honest John Real MPG figures:

2.0 TDCI 150 - 50mpg
1.5 EcoBoost 150 - 43.6mpg

He is specifically talking about the Mondeo though? A 2 litre petrol Mondeo will be nothing like as efficient as that.

Soldato
He is specifically talking about the Mondeo though? A 2 litre petrol Mondeo will be nothing like as efficient as that.

Well no, he asked for suggestions along the lines of:

We have a fairly limited budget for the replacement, preferably under £4,000 with the following criteria:
  • Focus or bigger in size. The dog needs to be able to get in and out easily.

of which a Mondeo was just one possibility. So as I said, anything from a Focus to an Octavia or Superb can be had in petrol guise and still be approximately as economical as a diesel depending on how you factor it, or at least close enough that anyone able to run a car needn't care. I was simplying answering the post that said for 20kpa it 'needs' to be a diesel. It clearly doesn't.

Soldato
An Octavia 1.5 petrol will do over 50mpg real world on the motorway, are you sure?

I should be, I've done it - and the same engine in a Superb too. Hell my 2.0 TSI 220ps Superb has hit late 40s on the motorway many times before I traded it in for the BMW, so a lower powered smaller car (Octavia) is easy.

Plenty such tales on the Briskoda owners' forum too. To be fair I also got 30mpg out of a Mustang 5.0 V8 on a short motorway run without hanging around. It's more how you drive than what you drive - as long as you're looking ahead and not driving clog-and-anchor it's not difficult to get decent economy in a relatively modern car.

Don
Depends on the car and the maths, surely? Just looking at the Ford Focus 2018 on model, for example, and using Honest John Real MPG figures:

2.0 TDCI 150 - 50mpg

Petrol is 120.9 and diesel is 124.9 at the end of our road today. Over 20,000 miles that gives:

Diesel £2,271.23 (£43.67 per week)
Petrol £2,521.20 (£48.48 per week)

That's a difference of a fiver a week, not accounting for the lack of DPF/EGR/DMF/injector/turbo stuff to gum up and go wrong. I know what I'd be looking to buy. If a fiver a week was that big a deal plenty of other petrol cars/engines will do over 50mpg on the motorway including the Octavia 1.5 TSI 140ps (or whatever the latest exact number is). In other words, for 20k I wouldn't be rushing to diesel 'because MPGz'.

Like I said, that linked advert is a 2.0 Non-Ecoboost engine. That engine manages roughly 25mpg, maybe 30mpg tops on a smooth motorway run (I owned one, I know what the real-life stats are).

The OP has a budget of £4k, he isn't getting anything Mondeo Ecoboost for that budget.

If he had £10k for something Ecoboost, I'd completely agree with you. For the 2.0 Petrol thats in budget for the Mondeo, stay well away.

Don
An Octavia 1.5 petrol will do over 50mpg real world on the motorway, are you sure?

Yes, the Octavia can do that real world quite easily for a motorway run. I've even seen 60mpg if I've hit a patch of roadworks on the motorway for part of the journey too (Wife has an Octavia TSI).

Not in the OPs budget though.

Soldato
Like I said, that linked advert is a 2.0 Non-Ecoboost engine. That engine manages roughly 25mpg, maybe 30mpg tops on a smooth motorway run (I owned one, I know what the real-life stats are).

The OP has a budget of £4k, he isn't getting anything Mondeo Ecoboost for that budget.

If he had £10k for something Ecoboost, I'd completely agree with you. For the 2.0 Petrol thats in budget for the Mondeo, stay well away.

I'm not disputing the old Mondeo engine is thirsty. I'm saying since the OP is looking at 'anything Focus size and up' then he shouldn't discount petrol at his relatively low mileage, as it's only a fiver a week difference in fuel costs before we even consider any potential servicing/bills. Apologies if there was any confusion on that point, I was talking generally in reply to the diesel 'requirement'.

Soldato
I don’t dispute that they’re relatively economical. Some on board computers are a bit dubious though. I used to average 64-67 mpg by the trip computer on my commute (one way) and have seen 68 mpg over a decent motorway run, but I’ve never measured more than 55mpg actual when calculating after filling up a full tank (Golf MK6 2.0 diesel).

Soldato
I don’t dispute that they’re relatively economical. Some on board computers are a bit dubious though. I used to average 64-67 mpg by the trip computer on my commute (one way) and have seen 68 mpg over a decent motorway run, but I’ve never measured more than 55mpg actual when calculating after filling up a full tank (Golf MK6 2.0 diesel).

Not that it matters much to the OP, but I've generally found that petrol OBD are more truthful than diesel ones - certainly within VAG group. I'd rarely been more than 0.5 to 1 mpg out brim-to-brim from whatever the computer was saying. The diesels on the other hand could be much more optimistic. There's a discussion about it on Briskoda somewhere, and the concensus was that perhaps marketing wanted to massage the MPG-conscious buyer's expectations more... Who knows though.

Also, unless the whole tank was a long motorway journey, you have to factor in the overall average (cold starts, city driving etc). The brim-to-brim will never reflect the 'on a run' figures unless they're one and the same.

Soldato
I'm not disputing the old Mondeo engine is thirsty. I'm saying since the OP is looking at 'anything Focus size and up' then he shouldn't discount petrol at his relatively low mileage.

I'm sorry, but 20,000 miles is not relatively low mileage, the average mileage today in the UK is 7600 miles a year, so considerably above that figure. You've also failed to take into consideration the ops budget of 4k which is nowhere near 1.5 ecoboost money.

Something else I noticed was you seem to be very selectively choosing your figures to suit your argument.

2.0 TDCI 150 - 50mpg

Petrol is 120.9 and diesel is 124.9 at the end of our road today. Over 20,000 miles that gives:

Diesel £2,271.23 (£43.67 per week)
Petrol £2,521.20 (£48.48 per week)

I mean, if you're going to choose the out of budget 1.5 150 Ecoboost petrol engine why wouldn't you compare that to the 1.5 150 TDCI engine?

Actual figures from Honest Johns site are as follows - Link

1.5 150 Ecoboost petrol real world mpg = 40mpg total fuel cost for 20,000 miles = £2748.11
1.5 150 TDCI real world mpg = 55.2mpg total fuel cost for 20,000 miles = £2064.77

That's a saving of nearly £700 a year and this is using your petrol & diesel prices.

If I was doing 20,000 miles a year I'd certainly be looking at getting a diesel. You'd have to be really unlucky to have repair bills upwards of £2k over a 3 year ownership and there's nothing to say you wouldn't have a big ticket repair bill for a petrol in this time either.

Soldato
I can't quite believe I'm having to explain this, but I didn't use the 1.5 diesel because I was listing comparative figures for the 2018 onward model year as that's the first one I clicked. The 2.0 TDCI is 150ps and the 1.5 EcoBoost is 150ps and thus was a valid comparison. On those newer models the 1.5 TDCI wasn't available, but became available again on the 2020 models as 1.5 EcoBlue - which in any case is only 120ps, and was therefore ignored.

I wasn't telling the OP to buy a new car for £4k, I was simply comparing two engines of the same model with the same power output for the purposes of the example. You can change the car's make, model or year to whatever you like. The point is that between otherwise identical cars, petrol doesn't cost much more per week than diesel when you're doing 10k or even 20k miles pa. And no, 20k pa really isn't moon mileage - the 'average' is skewed by all the old dears doing 500 miles a year to the local M&S. Even running 50k pa (as I used to) it would only cost an extra £15 to £20 a week for a decent grunty petrol vs diesel - which over 1,000 miles isn't much at all. It depends on your priorities and your expectations for NVH, experience and driving fun doesn't it?

Since you didn't like the 'new car' like-for-like comparison, let's jump to the 2004-2013 Octavia which is well within the OP's budget for a decent representative. The 1.4 TSI outputs 120ps and returns (HJ real world average) 45mpg. Even the 2.0 FSI returns 40mpg and with mostly motorway miles you'll see better than that, as the thread has already established. [I'd regularly see 45+ mpg in my 220ps 2.0 TSI Superb, and 55+ mpg in the 1.4 TSI Octavia before it. Funnily enough, my 'on a run' figures for the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs I had before them (Skodas again - I had a run of them) were about the same: 50 to 55mpg]. I digress.

Despite your protestations about me 'selectively' (read: arbitrarily) choosing 2.0 TDCI vs 1.5 TDCI, on that same MY of Octavia three diesels were available over the model's (mk2?) lifetime - the 1.9 PD turbo diesel (105ps), its replacement 1.6 CR TDI (105ps again) or the newer 2.0 CR TDI (140ps). Despite the 25% difference in displacement, and almost 50% difference in power output, all three return 54-55mpg real world (again, HJ). So again we're back to a petrol:diesel differential of 10mpg, or about £7 a week difference in fuel (£40 diesel or £47 petrol). Earth shattering... If you feel the need to go diesel to save £7 a week on fuel then I'd suggest you have bigger problems.

If I was doing 20,000 miles a year I'd certainly be looking at getting a diesel.

If the OP really wants a diesel, good luck to him - he's the one who has to pay for it and drive it and he's the only one who has to be happy with his choice. I'm simply saying the OP likely doesn't need to discount petrols based on his mileage alone, or to make that the deciding factor. If he wants to that's fine, but be under no illusions of massive savings 'because 20k pa'. Christ, what's £7 a week these days? A pie and a pint? A garage meal deal a week? Two thirds of a pack of fags?... I was just doing what forums are designed for - offering an alternative viewpoint.

Soldato
All depends how the sums are presented. It’s like the old “for the price of a cup of coffee a day/week...”, when the £3 Starbucks figure is used and actually adds up to a significant figure over time.

£7/week doesn’t sound bad, but that’s £1100 over 3 years. It could be your smartphone contract, car insurance, gym membership, or one of many other outgoings.

Is it a game changer? Possibly not. But it is significant.

Soldato
I can't quite believe I'm having to explain this, but I didn't use the 1.5 diesel because I was listing comparative figures for the 2018 onward model year as that's the first one I clicked. The 2.0 TDCI is 150ps and the 1.5 EcoBoost is 150ps and thus was a valid comparison. On those newer models the 1.5 TDCI wasn't available, but became available again on the 2020 models as 1.5 EcoBlue - which in any case is only 120ps, and was therefore ignored.

My apologies, the first one i clicked on was Focus 2014, simple mistake.

Since you didn't like the 'new car' like-for-like comparison, let's jump to the 2004-2013 Octavia.

Well since we're cherry picking the best figures to suit, how about this one...

Ford Focus (2008 - 2011) Honest Johns real mpg.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Econetic start stop 62.0 mpg
Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 35.8 mpg

A saving of £3716.64 over 3 years!

As Fusion pointed out above £7 a week doesn't feel like too much in the grand scheme of things, but it soon adds up.

There's pretty big savings to be had for the op by going with a diesel and to try and argue otherwise is just plain wrong.

Soldato
OP
What are people’s thoughts on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta? There’s a few examples around 4K mark, Veloce trim and the 2L Diesel engine with 80-100k. Not as practical as a Mondeo, different class, but great looks! Not sure on how these rate for ride comfort and reliability though. The boot seems to slightly smaller than the Focus with a bigger lip at the bottom, I’d need to see it in person to judge it though

Soldato
I've had mine since 2011. Nothing has ever really gone wrong on it (so far). Although electric wise it has it's gremlins. The steering wheel controls decide when they want to work rather than just working!

I'd have actually thought you'd get something either cheaper or with lower milage than that. Mines around 94k and i expected it to be worth under £3k!

Although cosmetically mine really is a piece of trash!

Associate
Aren't diesels currently the fount of all evil? And aren't they getting banned from many city centres?

Not really. Only big city to have done this recently is Birmingham, and it's not a ban, it's a congestion charge on pre-2016 diesels. The congestion zone is tiny as well. I think some other cities have banned highly polluting lorries though.

Soldato

How can they be so bad? That's miles worse than the Wifes 2.0 FSi Octavia & even worse than my ST220 with it's ancient V6?

Don
How can they be so bad? That's miles worse than the Wifes 2.0 FSi Octavia & even worse than my ST220 with it's ancient V6?

Its much older tech. The duratec 2.0 has been around since the 90s and the modern Mondeo tips in at nearly 1600Kgs.

It was only available on the earlier Mk4 models before it was phased out.

Back
Top Bottom