Card Reader Recommendations

Associate
Looking for a little advice.

I've just bought a system for a mate using Antec 300 case. However, I've just realised there are no external 3.5" bays for a card reader and he definitely wants a card reader in the build.

What are my options? Anyone with an Antec 300 who has installed a card reader with some feedback? Reviews of 5.25" card readers seem crap compared to the 3.5" versions.

(note: I have posted in the case modding forum with no responses but thought I would try here too as it's sort of more general hardware query)

Associate
If you shop around you can get 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapters. The case I have doesn't have any 3.5" bays at all for card readers but luckly it came supplied with the adapter. I'm not sure how it will suit with mesh front, but black metal adapter plate should look ok.

edit: a quick google brings up a nice 5.25":

IcyBox IB-863-B 5.25 Card Reader with Multiport Front Panel

Even has front usb 3 and E-sata

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion daz. Unfortunately I've already found the IcyBox option on the store named after a rainforest. The reviews are extremely poor (basically sounds like the circuit board has been badly stuck to a 5.25" cage - the 3.5" drives get significantly better reviews all round.

I'm looking into an adaptor but at the moment am leaning more towards suggesting a good portable card reader and leaving the lovely mesh on the front of the Antec 300 alone!

Back
Top Bottom