• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Card upgrade under £300

Soldato
Morning all,

Following up from another thread on improving my current system, A member recommended getting a RX580 or a GTX1060 card. My existing card is a Palit GTX 560Ti Graphics card 1GB so pretty ancient!!

I'll probably be looking at upgrading the CPU, Motherboard and RAM next year so looking for the best card I can get for now under £300.

Looking at previous threads, I've noticed these ones recommend.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-000-ak.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38r-sp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html

Any thoughts or further recommendations? If it makes a difference, I have a 1080p monitor with Freesync. This may get upgraded in the future also.

Soldato
OP
The board I have is a Asus P8Z77-V LX2 which is fairly old also.
I've found the Vega for £269 too on here.
I don't play the latest games on my PC so don't think it would be such an issue.

Soldato
OP
You could always get a new one for £299, and sell the games for at least £30 if not more.

Also, if you're not looking to play the latest games at 4K, you should be fine for the next couple of years.

With shipping the B grade one comes in at £20, I decided it would be better off buying the new one at £300 for the full warranty. I don't think the free games are included anymore unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
I'll get it ordered when I get home in a few hours then.
How do you go about getting the games? It isn't under the listing for the card anymore Gibbo.

Soldato
OP
Hi Gibbo, Quick question or two.
I've now linked my forum account as someone mentioned the free delivery. It's still trying to charge me £10 for delivery.
Second question, Did you own a red Evo X at one point?

Soldato
OP
No idea on delivery, best to post in CS.
Yes owned a red EVO X FQ-360 some years ago along with my Saleen Mustang at the time, that was an epic two car garage. :)

Ok thanks Gibbo.
I think I remember you on the MLR. I've still got my Evo X. Still fun to drive to this day! Hope you are well anyway!

Soldato
OP
Just found some pics on my FB, which I've just uploaded and yet awesome cars, most modern day equivalent is probably Golf R which is a hell of a lot quicker in a straight line (DSG) but not as capable or as well balanced in corners.

Yup, I remember the reg now after your shared some pictures on the MLR! Do you ever miss it?

This is how my one stands now. Sitting at around 500hp.

Sxaz2JR.jpg

Soldato
OP
Very nice I miss all my old cars in some way or other, but the SVR is like an EVO on steroids built in a super luxurious supercar, it is totally stock but has ran 1/4 mile in 11.1@126mph and hit 0-60 in 2.9s and having an adjustable power split in dynamic its 90% rear so I can do skids and in wet mode its 50/50 so handles more like an EVO and just planted whilst having heated seats, heated screen, 1000W sound system, remote start and a whole host of other toys and leather quilted interior.

I am however getting itchy feet, so I've thrown it up for sale on Pistonheads as got my eyes on something Italian maybe next, Mclaren tempted me but crazy depreciation and unreliability has scared me off.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-carbon-extras-andamp-jaguar-warranty/9397439

That sounds like some machine you have there! I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh! The Jag looks spot on too! A good selection of cars you have had then!!

I'm so jealous, :(

I've got a mountain bike,
But it's got a puncture. :rolleyes:

I've got one too with a puncture and I think it gets used less than the car unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
I'm pretty much set on the Vega 56. Still trying to figure out the shipping though. I know it is only £10 but if it states free, I be as well save that for petrol haha.

Soldato
OP
You need to log with your forum account. Somewhere in the options on your shop account had the option to link your forum account
I've done all that. Spoke to customer services and they said it probably is because of my address and being out with the qualifying area.

Soldato
OP
I had been using the computer with a wireless keyboard. It was doing my head in missing key strokes so a half decent one needed bought.
That mouse mat stinks though haha.

Soldato
OP
Having a bit of an issue here.
Been trying to get it installed today but I'm getting no fans spinning on start up and not finding any AMD hardware in the installation process.
Powering via one 6 pin connector and 1 8 pin connector.
I'm not too sure where to go from here as I've just installed my old card back in and it is working fine.
Edit to add: PSU is a OCZ bronze edition 550W.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thats what I'm thinking. Could be new PSU time.
In the manual it states in connector options: 1x4pin, 1x6pin, 1x8pin etc etc
1x8pin+1x6 pin.

Both of these are on the same line though so I assume I need two separate rails of 8 pin would be best?

Back
Top Bottom