Career - Finding what you have a passion for?

Associate
Hi there,

Ever since I graduated in 2010 (In business, yes I know) I have struggled to hold down work. I've had odd jobs here and there but nothing really career wise.

Now its come to the point where my family have said "Hey, what do you love? Go chase that!". This is because I've lost a lot of motivation for well, anything really.

Now I have hobbies and passions. But when I think of jobs to do with them I don't get excited, I don't know what I want to do with my life. I don't even really have a dream job :/ (Well, I would love to be a professional poker player but thats just not realistic at all).

So OcUK my question to you is how do you find your passion? How do you find your dream job?

Thanks.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Hi there,

Ever since I graduated in 2010 (In business, yes I know) I have struggled to hold down work. I've had odd jobs here and there but nothing really career wise.

Now its come to the point where my family have said "Hey, what do you love? Go chase that!". This is because I've lost a lot of motivation for well, anything really.

Now I have hobbies and passions. But when I think of jobs to do with them I don't get excited, I don't know what I want to do with my life. I don't even really have a dream job :/ (Well, I would love to be a professional poker player but thats just not realistic at all).

So OcUK my question to you is how do you find your passion? How do you find your dream job?

Thanks.

I think whilst a lot of people say "I am in my dream job", very few are. I myself rather enjoy what i do, but i wouldnt say i love it. I'd love to sit around watching rugby and drinking beer and eating chicken wings, that is a dream job - but alas we live in a real world. If anyone is lucky enough to work in their dream job, i commend them - nurses, police etc are common ones - but i doubt many kids grow up thinking "when im older, i want to work in Pre-sales or as a systems analyst using Six Sigma methodologies" :)

Commissario
Play your cards right and one day you may realise your dream.

Fatboy_reacts.gif

Associate
I know what my dream job is but its a very hard sector to get in to without volunteering in that sector which I cannot afford or find volunteering places. Its quite soul destroying being in a job I hate and have no passion for but I will hopefully get where I want to be in the end!

Soldato
What did you study?

What sort of personality do you have. Sociable, introvert, extrovert.

Do you want to work in an office, outdoors, on the move?

Do you like helping people?

Are you competitive, driven by targets?

The last and most important question is, do you want a job or do you/parents feel you should have one.

Last edited:
Associate
Have an accident and lose the use of your legs.

The compensation lump sum and my ongoing health insurance gave me the option of living off trading and I love the spare time I get to read books and make inane comments on forum. Have holidays whenever I please.

Failing an accident you could always insure one of your family then bump them off.

There are downsides but mostly it is all good.

Associate
For 98% of the world, people spend Mon-Fri 9-5 dreaming about being somewhere else and looking forward to the end of the day/weekend.

A very small % of people really enjoy their job. Its about finding something your good at, but which also challenges you (i.e. isnt too easy or lets you be creative).

Finding enjoyment in other areas of your life will take the pressure off work as a source of inspiration or fun. So be social, go out, have fun, try new things, meet people and try and feed off thier energy. Whilst still looking for something that your happy to do.

....and btw, being a pro poker player is NOT as good as it seems. I tried for 6 months but it was extremely stressful and hard work multi-tabling 8-10hours/day. It aint like it looks from the outside and the current player base is MUCH tougher than it was 5+ years ago.

Just play poker socially/as a hobby and have a normal job to pay the bills.

Soldato
I'd love to own my own gym but Rotherham is swamped with bodybuilding gyms and there are more opening quite often. Also I'd love to work for an animal rescue chairty full time(volunteer in my spare time), but the money they pay means I'd not be able to afford...well anything.

Voice Networking pays ok, but it isn't even remotely where it's at.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad I found something I'm both good at (so far anyway) and interested in before I left school... At least because of this, choosing my A Levels and path to where I want to go hasn't been a struggle like other people around me etc.

I just read an article on the web one day. That's all it took! Then I grabbed a book, watched a program, and I knew I had found something I loved :)

Soldato
I'm in the same boat (shotgun captain) and I ended up going back to uni for a bit, that was loads of fun :)

Now I'm a bit screwed finding what to do properly, apparently you'll just work it out through

Soldato
I have no idea what my dream job is, I really couldn't say. I hope to one day own my own firm and enjoy working for myself and my business, whilst at the same time earn enough money to support a family and my parents when they're retired. But the specifics of the job are still vague to me.

Edit; if I was any good at it I would write professionally. The only issue is I can't (although I do enjoy writing novella).

Man of Honour
Now I have hobbies and passions. But when I think of jobs to do with them I don't get excited

I understand that you think you do, but ask yourself whether you actually have hobbies and passions. A passion is something you can't stop yourself doing, something that drives you. If thinking about doing it doesn't excite you, I'd argue it's not a passion.

Care to list some of the hobbies and/or passions? I'd be interested to see what they are and how you've thought over these in terms of employment.

Soldato
I've worked in a number of places ranging from tennis coaching, medical coding, fabricating, running a self-employed internet business and joinery.

After spending 2 years on nights working in a factory I simply had enough and realised that life was passing me by. I applied for college and I'm hoping to start this September. Depending on how I do, I'll eventually be going for a degree, preferably in the medical world as either a radiologist or pathologist as I enjoyed working with them in the past.

My dream job when I was younger was to be an astronaut and it still is! :D I would like to get my private pilots license and possibly become an instructor at some point, but right now thats out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom