Career in 1st Line support!

Associate
Hello,

I'm hoping if someone can help me with this obstacle I've encountered.
Anyway, I'm very eager to get into a career with IT as I'm passionate about it and I enjoy it. The career I want to take is 1st line support, I have all experience at the moment but I've been told by an IT Recruitment agency that I'm being held back by not having COMPtia and COMPtia network and Windows 7 certificates. To get into this career pretty much every job requires these and it's the things I don't have.
Anyway they are trying to sell me an online course which is like £395. Is it a bit of a scam? Is there anyway to get these? Any guidance will help me :)

Stevan

Associate
OP
Everything I know about computers is self-taught from age of 14 but my degree is in forensic science. Which I am not passionate about. When I was 16 and 18, I did not have a clue what I wanted to do. It's not until finishing university it's made me realise what I enjoyed the most and it's always been in front of me. When I learn about computers it just sticks with me naturally and once I start reading about it I don't stop.
So yeah I have no education within IT, just own experience. So I feel maybe this course will help me.

I just want to get my foot through the door because once I know I'm in, I'm confident that I will go a very long way. I'm only 22 and very eager to begin my career.

EDIT: I haven't properly applied for any IT jobs just yet but every time I look at the job specification it always mentions these certifications and no doubt I feel like I'm being held back for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow! Thank you for all the responses. This is why I always come to these forums when I have an issue regarding IT, the support people give is unbelievable. Obviously I have a lot of mixed opinions but every each one of you has helped me to decide what to do.

I am going to phone back this recruitment myself and ask if I can directly talk to the manager who is supposedly interested In me for his company. I was told the company interested is a very large company based in London. I haven't asked for details but now I will, I will get all the info I need to make a careful decision.

Important of all, as I have no experience or qualifications in IT. This course will benefit me which some have said. It's not really needed but for myself I think I could benefit from it and be nice to have :).
But after seeing so many saying you don't need it and it's more about the passion for IT and learning it's made me consider and plan my route of action. I really hope I get something.

Associate
OP
That's my plan is to apply for 1st line support to get my foot through the door and progress from their.
I've been working in retail at TOPMAN for 3 years so believe me when I say it, I know wha you mean by hating the human being haha.
I already have great customer service skills and phone skills :)

Associate
OP
The course Which was offered to me was itonlinelearning and it doesn't mention anything about the exams being included which has really put me off.

I hope I'm not cheeky for asking but will anyone be kind enough reviewing my CV and give me some feed back on structure and if it suitable for IT First line support?
It would help me so much and give me a bit of confidence. I can email my CV to you.

Associate
OP
Well with the situation I'm in I will be fine with end users and corporate as I'm used to abuse from customers at my current job haha.
Obviously Corp would be better but right now I can't be picky and I just want to get the experience on the go :)

Associate
OP
i was thinking of a school but thought I wouldn't have much experience.

Well I came off the phone to this recruitment agency and after asking some questions I feel like all they wanted was the money for the course. They did have exams but he said it was more like final assessments :/.
It's still an option and it will benefit me but everything I know about computers is self-taught. You all have gave me guidance on how to teach myself even more so what can stop me now? I have the drive already :).

Associate
OP
Thank you everyone for the help I don't think I'm going to get this course as it's clearly about money as he asked if I'd know about a decision by the end of the day as there's an offer (typical). I work in sales.

I was wondering would anyone consider taking a look at my CV? :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have considered a grad scheme but haven't applied for any just yet. In all honesty, it's only been a week now that I've been focusing on updating my CV and really show off my experience. It's still early days just yet, and everyone's comments has really pointed me in a good direction and I'm really looking forward to landing myself a job within IT.

Associate
OP
After looking into the COMPTIA it seems like I pretty much know a lot already :)
Not bad after being self taught all these years and picked up on it all.

It seems like I could be a bit too over skilled for this job but heck, I need to get my foot through the door haha.

@murah how did you find these for £50, on their website it states £116

Associate
OP
Hi Mujja,

I have no experience in the IT field, I'm not sure why "all" was written. I do have strong customer service skills as I've been working 3 years at TOPMAN fashion store. The job is very demanding on customer service.

How would one find a Windows upgrade project?

Associate
OP
Hello tlrbeta, I hav looked into some grad schemes but noticed they mostly want people who have degrees in IT, but I suppose it doesn't stop me from applying. Maybe get out my comfort zone and stop getting myself down.

I do feel I'm a bit better than first line as in quite technical. Been self taught since of age 16. But atn getting my foot through the door is key :). I haven't thought about banks, I'm mostly looking at what is available on the websites I've signed up too

Associate
OP
Thanks the for advise. I haven't considered Msc because I have just came out of education and the thought going back to it putting me off. Also I recently moved from Birmingham to London so I need to make sure I can fund for myself.
Before I think about doing a masters I want to get a bit more experience behind me :). At some point in my life I will definitely go for it.

@HangTime, once I learnt COMPTIA+ I am going to learn programming. I was doing it before by thought to myself to get to know the background of computers first.

@craig_t, if you don't mind me asking could you fill me in what you did to get to your role? :). You must have went to uni and studied IT?

Back
Top Bottom