Career Kick Start!

Associate
finally got a place secured with a plumbing firm today. after 3-4months of trying, also got it arranged so that i can start in 2007 so it gives me a year to travel the world. so happy and glad its all paid off :D:D

can anyone give me an insite into what i have just let myself in for. i know pay isnt good but i am looking forward to the challenge! i have a couple of friends who are plumbers and they say it was hard work but the benefits of having a large bank account makes it all worthwhile, anyone shed any light on the financial side of it and if being CORGI registered will bolster my bank account ever more :D:D

any replies welcome

moFo

Permabanned
I think all plumbing works that are done on houses now have to be done by soemone Corgi registered. So erm without it, if you went into residential plumbing you would be screwed!

Edit: Congrats BTW!!!!

SCM

SCM

Associate
CORGI registered is for the gas side of things, so if you are doing normal plumbing you don't need it. If you do get it then opens up the boiler installs etc but think it is is yearly thing now and you have to retake the test each year to remain registered.

Wages wise some areas of the country are crying out for plumbers, so if you get into the right area good chance of a decent wage.

SCM

Associate
I have a mate in Edinburgh who's a plumber, works on his own... he's making a fortune, never advertises, always has more work than he can do. Ends up working crazy hours, most weekends because he doesn't want to turn people down!

Soldato
My younger brother apprentice plumber and he got crap pay to start off with in a few years he will be on decent pay.

Not sure with working in a firm how it will work plumber wise im sure it will lead to good things and pick up the knowledge so you can be doing it yourself later on and earning a fortune.

Soldato
Just had a plumber round last week. will not go into details, but he was all be useless.. Totally missed the leak I reported, and thus I called the water board out. As I'm in a rented house all the charges went to the Landlord.

He wasn't happy, but wasn't happy that his "own recommended" plumber missed the fault. I have no idea what ensued afterwards, all I know is that my leak is fixed and the plumber he got in has been saddled with the bill...

Landlord is a great guy, and he wasn't happy with the plumber at all, and said I was right to call out the water board if "he" couldn't fix it...

I hope you do better work then the guy I had.. Best of luck.

Soldato
I watched a programme a while back, a plumbing firm in London were paying their plumbers around 70k a year. There was this one guy that went from being an investment banker to plumbing, loved it and earns more money. Crazy stuff.

Soldato
trojan698 said:
I watched a programme a while back, a plumbing firm in London were paying their plumbers around 70k a year. There was this one guy that went from being an investment banker to plumbing, loved it and earns more money. Crazy stuff.

Seriously? :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom