Career Options

Soldato
I'm in two minds as to what to do with regards to my career path. At the moment I have just finished my second year at uni studying computer science. I've got a good 2:1 and will be looking to pass my finals next year at 2:1 level, maybe even a First as i'm only a couple of percent off atm.

Thing is though, I dont enjoy my course at all, i'm not confident with programming and so far nothing has really taken my interest, but this year all my modules were compulsory, next year I have chosen them all. They are mostly all in the field of computer vision/computer graphics - this is the subject that I think I MAY find more interseting. So my first option would be to continue in computing and get a job in this kind of field, although I have no idea what sort of things I could do with it.

My other option is to go into teaching. It would either be as an IT teacher(due to degree) or Maths (due to extra dosh involved ;) and the fact I quite enjoy it). Trouble is with maths I only got a D at A-level (1 mark off a C, but A* at GCSE) so i'm not sure whether I could do this due to poor grades but I would much prefer to do Maths over IT. This would be a secondary school level btw. The main thing that's putting me off with this though is the extra year I would have to do training, training = no income, no income = crud.

Now for my pro's and con's
Teaching: 20-30k pretty much guarenteed (extra moolah if doing maths/science), holidays, fairly secure job, not sure if I qualify to teach maths, may not enjoy it that much (should be able to go and observe with my gf's sister at some point thogh so may give better idea).

Computing: much harder to get job, may not enjoy it, probably better pay opportunites, will give further job opportunities

Now I think i'm sort of running out of time because I think I have to apply for the teaching courses a year in advance (like UCAS for uni's). So i'm after advice as to what you think wouldbe my best options. Last thing is that I will be be looking at moving out to Australia in about 5/6 years so job should hopefully be useful enough to get me into Oz.

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
OP
Anyone?

If not, is there anyone that works in/knows about jobs in computer vision or computer graphics. I'd imagine that for computer vision they are mostly research type jobs. But I dont really have much of an idea about computer graphics apart from the obvious CGI in films?

Back
Top Bottom