Carpet protection from "office" chair.

Soldato
Where the heck do you put a topic like this? :D Not really GH as such, but more likely to get the required response in here than in Home & Garden.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you put anything underneath your chairs to protect your carpet. And if so, what?

We're having all new carpets fitted soon and while taking up the old ones I've noticed that the area underneath my PC chair has really taken a hammering where I wheel it about. The underlay is paper thin and the backing of the carpet itself has virtually worn away. I'd rather not have the new one go the same way if I can help it.

Cheers :)

Associate
Why not get one of those chair mats they use in offices to let the chair roll around on? Easy to get online. Another option is to buy those small plastic things that wheels can sit in, similar to those people stand sofas on.

Soldato
OP
I've looked at chair mats and they all seem a bit ugly. Practically ideal for purpose but I doubt I would get it past the wife!

I was hoping someone would come up with a stylish looking alternative to one.

Associate
Mate,

If you are having new carpets fitted ask the fitter make any off cuts as big as possible and:-

1) Take those off cuts and cut them in to the shape you need
2) Have them "whipped" round the edges to make them look smart

http://www.acecarpetedging.co.uk/

3) Cut out a bit of the thinest MDF you can buy (think it is 6mm - do not use hardboard as it gives way and cracks over time) the same shape as the whipped carpet, but reduce the size by about 1 to 1.5 inches all around so it is slightly smaller
4) Get some of that carpet gripper material (the best one is that fleece looking type stuff from Argos)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9264768.htm

5) Put doubled sided sticky tape on both sides of the MDF board and then cover it with the carpet gripper and then cut to size
6) Finally lay the MDF on the floor and place the whipped carpet on top.

It gives a good looking chair rug, which is very hard wearing as it is very firm then the chair in on top.

The brown one is about 3 years only and still going strong, plus you can make as many as you want depending on how much carpet you have left over from the fitting.

The pictures attached explain it better, this is the best method I have came across.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Diddy

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Like that Diddy great idea.

We had a large offcut of carpet whipped but as it had no backing over a matter of weeks it stretched lost it shape and started turning up at the corners till it went in the bin.

Caporegime
Hey

Maybe ask them to leave a spare piece of new carpet to put underneath your chair?
Don't they always leave the offcuts ? you paid for them they are yours and often they are big enough for small rooms.

I use use a large square off cut under my pc chair

Soldato
diddy's idea is pretty good but i know that you can get plastic see through mats for your chair which protect the carpet, my mate's dad has one for his office and it allows the chair to move freely on a smooth surface rather than the carpet, plus in don't think they are too expensive

Soldato
I tried a carpet off cut but the problem was that it still didn't help the chair move, the opposite in fact. I ended up with one of those clear plastic floor mats and couldn't be happier, smooth movement and no carpet damage.

Back
Top Bottom