Carpet protector for under a PC Chair

Associate
Use a rug or spare cut of carpet and a piece(s) of Correx underneath?

It is the solution I use. Its a bit more discreet than one of those plastic carpet protectors. Also a rug or carpet feels nicer underfoot.

The carpet underneath the Correx has minor imprints, but nothing when compared to the damage or imprints that a typical office chair causes.

I got a circular rug from Argos for £15, does the job (so far!).

My setup is a breakfast bar with 2 stools, so I'm not in the same market as the OP, but you have given me a brilliant idea - 2 circular rugs for my 2 stool bases :D I've seen the ones on Argos for £15 (Habitat etc), probably too big being 100cm in diameter but I have found smaller ones on Amazon.

Man of Honour
I'd definitely look around for these and/or if possible give it a little while - the price generally for them is pretty high lately - probably due to the increase in working from home, etc. but you can usually find them around their more "normal" price with a bit of effort. Argos prices on them, assuming availability, is fairly reasonable at the moment.

Soldato
I got a large plastic clear floor mat (with spikes to keep it in place) and it lasted less than 4 months before slowly disintegrating.

What I presume happened was that with my chair wheels being in near enough the same location on the mat and the thick soft pile of the carpet the pressure created progressive dents in the mat - and I'm only 13.5st thereabouts. Those dents will then crack and once it cracks, that's it - the cracks will spider outwards, the wheels will catch on them and make it worse. I'll post a picture of the state of the mat if anyone's interested.

Here's what I'd do, and I saw it first on these forums but haven't searched for the exact post - is to buy some Click laminate flooring and make your own to your specific size. It'll last a lot longer than those crap mats.

Soldato
just embrace the flattened carpet, unless you move things about often...be free and don't restrict your chair to a set area....be freeeee

my carpet is flattened out more where my feet are btw rather than where the chairs wheels run over

I have a footstool...unsure of my point here

Caporegime
I also used a piece of leftover carpet, as the fitters left a generous amount behind. You can have the edges of these finished / tided up so they look smart, but I didn't bother.
you pay for the whole carpet they need to use including the wastage, it's not generous that they left it behind, you literally paid for it

Soldato
Personally I've just been using some of the thicker vinyl flooring like you'd use in a bathroom, get a roll/length and cut off as needed.... still cheaper than the 'proper ones' that last in my experience lasted no longer than the vinyl does.
Not clear but you have a choice of colours/finishes and in my cases I can cut it to shape (corner desk).

Soldato
I use a large door mat, when that expires I'll probably switch to those plastic ones specially designed for office chairs, or maybe just go with a nice piece of wood then at least it's not harming the environment when it has served its purpose

Soldato
you pay for the whole carpet they need to use including the wastage, it's not generous that they left it behind, you literally paid for it
I'd normally believe this, except the shop I used also sells roll ends. So it's possible that they made even more money from that roll. Fair play to them.

Man of Honour
I got a large plastic clear floor mat (with spikes to keep it in place) and it lasted less than 4 months before slowly disintegrating.

What I presume happened was that with my chair wheels being in near enough the same location on the mat and the thick soft pile of the carpet the pressure created progressive dents in the mat - and I'm only 13.5st thereabouts. Those dents will then crack and once it cracks, that's it - the cracks will spider outwards, the wheels will catch on them and make it worse. I'll post a picture of the state of the mat if anyone's interested.

Here's what I'd do, and I saw it first on these forums but haven't searched for the exact post - is to buy some Click laminate flooring and make your own to your specific size. It'll last a lot longer than those crap mats.

I use a same size barrier mat on top of the clear plastic protector - solves that - can be a bit tricky to fix it so the mat doesn't bunch up or slide around a bit needing repositioning from time to time if left unattached.

I've not found any other solution which lasts and gives the same freedom of movement for the chair.

Soldato
I just have some carpet off cuts, does it's job and mega cheap plus not offensive as it kind of blends into the carpet

just that -

you don't want some weird creaking noise rolling a chair over plastic, and if you are not wearing your gucci socks, something that feels ok under bare feet.

Caporegime
I'd normally believe this, except the shop I used also sells roll ends. So it's possible that they made even more money from that roll. Fair play to them.

I don't mean you buy the whole roll.

they basically put your house layout on a roll of carpet and cut it out, including the parts where you have no rooms

they are basically playing tetris but the pieces don't fit.
you still need to buy the whole square even if your room is L shaped, because the off cut would be useless to them.

the roll ends are whats left of the roll after other jobs and usually offered at a discount since it's not a big enough area that they could easily use it on a job, but for a small flat etc it would

Back
Top Bottom