Carrying options for two cameras

Soldato
Hi,

Just looking for ideas for how people carry two bodies out and about with them?

I have the original black rapid sling. In the past this has been great. I've rarely carried two cameras, when I did the less used camera was often in a rucksack and only one was used at a time.

But increasingly I want to carry...
7D with sigma 120 - 300 2.8 OS Sport (+/- 1.4x tc)
5D mkii with Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkii
..at the same time with quick access to both. Obviously it's a lot of weight to carry.

I'm thinking either the dual black rapid harness (£150!!??) Or keep the 300 on the single black rapid I already have and put the 70-200 on something like the spider holster.

I'd like to avoid looking like too much of an idiot but most of all I want to carry the weight in the most efficient and comfortable way.

Interested to hear how you are currently carrying your stuff.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi,

Just looking for ideas for how people carry two bodies out and about with them?

I have the original black rapid sling. In the past this has been great. I've rarely carried two cameras, when I did the less used camera was often in a rucksack and only one was used at a time.

But increasingly I want to carry...
7D with sigma 120 - 300 2.8 OS Sport (+/- 1.4x tc)
5D mkii with Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkii
..at the same time with quick access to both. Obviously it's a lot of weight to carry.

I'm thinking either the dual black rapid harness (£150!!??) Or keep the 300 on the single black rapid I already have and put the 70-200 on something like the spider holster.

I'd like to avoid looking like too much of an idiot but most of all I want to carry the weight in the most efficient and comfortable way.

Interested to hear how you are currently carrying your stuff.

Thanks

You'll struggle not to look like an idiot to the non-photographic minded! If it was me I'd get the double black rapid or similar I've never been a fan of anything mounted on a belt especially if it is that heavy. That is a serious amount of weight to be carrying any distance!

Associate
personally I don't give a crap what the public think .. I've had the Sigma 150-600 sport, the Nikon 600mm or my 300mm in a cotton carrier harness when walking the cliffs .. I usually take a nikon macro lens with me for the wildflowers or insects and a big zoom or prime for the birds. Funnily enough I have people ask me where to get it and what a great idea it is .. so it's just small minded people who can think what they like. My gear is secure, easy to get to and comfortable. I can walk all day with it and that's what matters to me ..

Soldato
I'm no pro, and I can understand wanting quick access to different focal lengths (perhaps a 35mm prime and a 200+ mm zoom), but why would you need such quick access to two quite similar lenses?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the replies, appreciate it. What are peoples opinions on a black rapid clone from ebay, probably cheap rubbish? The real thing is £150 which seems a lot but if its going to be comfortable and take the strain then I guess its worth it. Can't put a price on your the health of your back, plus its a lot of expensive gear to hang from something unreliable.

Just 2 regular plain leather straps.

Leather over Nylon? Is that comfort / preference or is that for dress reasons at weddings etc?

You'll struggle not to look like an idiot to the non-photographic minded! If it was me I'd get the double black rapid or similar I've never been a fan of anything mounted on a belt especially if it is that heavy. That is a serious amount of weight to be carrying any distance!

That's what I'm leaning towards really, its about what carries the weight best. I tend to use one on a monopod and leave the other on the floor, but need something for when walking around so that my hands are not full.

personally I don't give a crap what the public think .. I've had the Sigma 150-600 sport, the Nikon 600mm or my 300mm in a cotton carrier harness when walking the cliffs .. I usually take a nikon macro lens with me for the wildflowers or insects and a big zoom or prime for the birds. Funnily enough I have people ask me where to get it and what a great idea it is .. so it's just small minded people who can think what they like. My gear is secure, easy to get to and comfortable. I can walk all day with it and that's what matters to me ..

I'm not sure what you are describing, do you have a link? I think you're right about not worrying about other people.

I'm no pro, and I can understand wanting quick access to different focal lengths (perhaps a 35mm prime and a 200+ mm zoom), but why would you need such quick access to two quite similar lenses?

I don't need really rapid access like moving from one to the other every few seconds or anything. Its more that I don't want to have to stop and be opening and closing bags which is what I'm doing at the moment. When standing still I'll have one on a monopod and one on the floor in front of me but when I want to move around I would like to have flexibility in how I carry them, something that is quick and easy. They don't need to be carried in a "ready" position if you see what I mean.

Re the 35 and 200mm point, yes the lenses are close and partly overlapping in focal length but the sigma is used on a crop camera and often with a TC so at the longest ends you are looking at a 200mm and 670mm so really quite different.

Caporegime

There’s actually quite a significant difference between 70 and 120mm. I have a 120-300 as well and 120 is quite a long focal length in its own right, especially on a crop. (The 70-200 is on a full frame so there’s an even bigger difference than just hmthe numbers say).

Associate
Ok here is the link:
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/
Now have a look at the different carrying systems .. I myself have a Nikon D500 with grip and a sigma 150-600 sport that I carry on my chest and a Nikon D7100 with a 105mm macro that i sling on my hip. I use it for walking the cliffs where I can get shots of birds and also a macro for wildflowers. It's easier than carrying the backpack and it leaves my hands free to clamber over rocks. straps are fine but if things start swinging around then they can get damaged .. there are different styles and types of fittings .. it's quite easy.

Back
Top Bottom