Cars which surprise you

Soldato
Had a play with a old vw polo gti 1.8 thing. Googled it and found out they're 150bhp from factory. This guy kept pulling on me further into treble figures. Surprised by its performance understandably it must be modified. Now I feel like I need a bigger engine 3 litre straight 6 just doesn't cut it lol.

Any cars which have surprised you?

Soldato
Had a play with a old vw polo gti 1.8 thing. Googled it and found out they're 150bhp from factory. This guy kept pulling on me further into treble figures. Surprised by its performance understandably it must be modified. Now I feel like I need a bigger engine 3 litre straight 6 just doesn't cut it lol.

Any cars which have surprised you?

Must have been modded to pull away from a ST220. Only the new Polo GTI is fast the old ones shouldn't have caused you trouble unless modded.
I used to find my old ST220 surprised people all the time as 90% of people just think it's an old diesel Mondeo with no power.
A car I was surprised at is the new 320d X Drive now that put up a far better fight for a while than most German whips do when they expect to leave me in a cloud of black smog on the way to work. :D

Soldato
Dav4 I have an e46 330i. Not sure how much it was modified but it did go like poo off a shovel.

Oh I thought u had a 220 :p yeh it still has to be modded to pull away from a 330 then lol. Although if it has a Turbo it would take your N/a engine a while longer to get its power down.
I had a guy a few weeks ago in a 5yr old 330i coupe "in white of course with sick black rims" get in the wrong lane next to me at the lights and he wasn't as cocky when I put it into 2nd and 3rd were my car has more low down grunt from the Turbo he didn't go past Untill I stopped accelerating when i realised his ego meant he wouldn't stop Untill he got in front of me no matter how silly the speeds were getting :eek:

Soldato
My crap old Saab 1.8t convertible used to embarrass a local brand new 118d M Sport. I remember gently accelerating onto the A24 to find this tard on my bumper, gradually applying more throttle until he was struggling and then giving it the bootful to watch him realise his car only looked a bit fast. It was even better when I fitted a bigger turbo and was running 250bhp and 370Nm. My Saab didn't even look that fast really, it just went really well in a straight line.

I'm such a child. :p

I had a run in with a cammed Saxo in my EP3 once. Could not shake it at all. Not even into very high leptons. Gave the thumbs up at traffic lights when we stopped.

The cars that surprise me most these days though are Honda Jazzes that are actually being driven at or near to the speed limit.

Soldato
People tend to forget quite how much more power you need to truly pull away from something at any sort of decent rate until hitting very high figures, at which point it's usually more a case of who likes their licence least

I'm not really surprised that a car weighing a couple of hundred kilos less, with a turbocharger but 80bhp down wasn't massively far behind

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Cleaning my bike out front yesterday as my back garden/lawn is a Marshland & this lovely sounding motor came round the bend. I only caught the back of it but it was an Orange Ford that was Mondeo looking but seemed a bit bigger. Twin pipes out the back & the sound was a Rumble that sounded awesome. That surprised me.

Soldato
Tesla Model S. Was next to one at the front of a queue at some traffic lights the other day. He was at the next set of lights before I was even out of first gear. I knew they were meant to be fast, but it was the first time I'd actually seen one. Seriously impressive acceleration.

Back
Top Bottom