Case advice for dual 280mm radiators

Associate
OP
I am going for a black and white build, so I reckon some black tube will be cool, with potentially a white coolant. I have concerns about the dye dropping out...

Associate
Probably less maintenance for you as well, far less chance of clogging etc. Nice one :D

Hope the re-build goes well. You certainly won't be struggling for space in that case.

Associate
OP
A crazy idea came into my head last night, and I am half tempted to try it.

My current plan is to use my Enthoo Primo with a slim rad in the top of the case and the thicker rad in the bottom.
What would happen if I bolted another rad to the push/pull configuration in the bottom position? I probably have space for a thin rad and another set of fans.

It would make for a compact cooling system, but I am sure it would not be as efficient as running separate radiators.

Soldato
A crazy idea came into my head last night, and I am half tempted to try it.

My current plan is to use my Enthoo Primo with a slim rad in the top of the case and the thicker rad in the bottom.
What would happen if I bolted another rad to the push/pull configuration in the bottom position? I probably have space for a thin rad and another set of fans.

It would make for a compact cooling system, but I am sure it would not be as efficient as running separate radiators.

That sounds like a heat exchanger. You’re going to pull the warm exhaust air from the first radiator through the second radiator. That will warm the second radiator and add heat to the loop. I don’t see any situation where you would see a significant improvement in temperatures.

Associate
OP
That all depends on the temperature difference between the contents of the radiator and the air passing over it. It would wff tively be like a thick radiator with a fan in the middle.

Soldato
Not really. It’s like one radiator heating up another radiator with a fan in the middle. By all means try it.
The first radiator won't heat up the second because the air coming out of radiator 1 will by definition not be as hot as the water in the loop. It will cool less effectively but if the delta is enough, it won't affect it much.

Think about CPU heatsinks with dual fin stacks.

It's worth trying. You are ultimately adding radiator space.

Associate
OP
The same effect will be apparent in a thick radiator, as the air entering will be cold, but when it finishes passing through it, it will be heated. It is basic physics.

Associate
OP
You could improve things by having the air flow through the “cooler” radiator before it hits the “hotter” radiator.

Realistically, if I was buying another radiator I
Would just get one fit for purpose.

Soldato
The same effect will be apparent in a thick radiator, as the air entering will be cold, but when it finishes passing through it, it will be heated. It is basic physics.

If it was the same as a thick radiator don’t you think you’d see people doing it?

In a thick radiator the air goes in one side and out the other, warmer. That is indeed basic physics.

In what you are suggesting the heat goes out one side then gets back into the water circulating through the SAME loop. At best it will be extremely inefficient.

But really, try it.

Associate
OP
If starting from scratch, it is not sensible. It costs more.
Plumbing it in is more difficult, as is mounting fans etc. There is no reason it would not work, but as I said earlier, it is a crazy idea. It is no different from having a radiator in the bottom of your case, and one on the top, or one as an inlet and one as an exhaust. You are heating the air through the first, but fortunately there is sufficient capacity for the air to absorb more heat. You just lose cooling efficiency.

I would try it, but I have no need, and no desire to spend money to try it. My two 280mm radiators cool my system sufficiently with one on intake and one as an exhaust..

Associate
OP
Well, my build into the Enthoo Primo is complete.
Nothing fancy to look at, but I now have space for additional drives and to perform maintenance/change parts if I want to.
The case is HUGE, but I am happy.

Associate
OP
45697508701_b5ea2e3f2f_z_d.jpg

Well, it has been running for some time, so here is a photo of the build.

Back
Top Bottom