Case/CPU Fan Setup advice Needed Urgently ?

Associate
Hi i ordered from here a few weeks ago a new case a Phanteks G500a and 3 Phanteks T30 fans so yesterday i put my old build into this new case with the new fans so now my setup is:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite MB: 1Cpu/1CPU:Opt , 1Sysfan, 2Sysfan headers on this MB.

Noctua D15 CPU Cooler 2 Fans version each fan plugged into the CPU headers.

3 Phanteks T30's Front Fans: all daisy chained together then attached to an extension cable to reach the 2Sysfan header.

1 Scythe Wonder Swan: Top fan

1 Kaze Flez 140: Exhaust fan connected to a Noctua cable splitter cable (which i believe is a 3&4pin splitter) then the top fan is connected to this splitter and then that is plugged into to the 1Sysfan header.

All fans are 4pin PVM and now all fans apart from the CPU fans are running at what looks like full speed, which i cant seem to adjust to slow down.

Question is what is the best way to configure/setup this arrangement and current speed issue im having ? THX

Last edited:
Associate
Assuming extension cable and splitter cable do carry all 4 pin signal
Could be as easy as enabling fan speed control in BIOS
To access Gigabyte Smalrt Fan for me is F6. Check if sys fan positions show any rpm and adjust settings.
Motherboard should be smart enough to choose autmatically PWM/Voltage regulation, but could go stupid with extensions.

I recommend all case fans to be set to monitor system temperature rather than CPU temp so that the speeds don't jump around with load and only spin faster when case internal temp is actually higher.

Associate
OP
Assuming extension cable and splitter cable do carry all 4 pin signal
Could be as easy as enabling fan speed control in BIOS
To access Gigabyte Smalrt Fan for me is F6. Check if sys fan positions show any rpm and adjust settings.
Motherboard should be smart enough to choose autmatically PWM/Voltage regulation, but could go stupid with extensions.

I recommend all case fans to be set to monitor system temperature rather than CPU temp so that the speeds don't jump around with load and only spin faster when case internal temp is actually higher.
The 3 front T30's are daisy chained then plugged into a 4pin extension to reach the Sys2 header but they are always on full pelt, even when i go into the Bios and adjust fan curve they still remain on full pelt even if i lower the curve to say 30% @30C they just switch off there is nothing inbetween which i thought that being 4pin shouldn't be happening. I also noticed using the software 'Fan Control' that the rear and top which that are both plugged into a 3&4pin splitter when adjusted the speed of the top changes but the rear remains the same speed at all times.

Last edited:
Soldato
Before i started fiddling i recall that all fans were set to Auto, the other options were Voltage & PVM, do you reckon i should set all of the fans including CPU to PVM ?
If yours fan haves 4 pin connection set it to PWM, that way you can send signals to the fans to adjust the speed.
If its set to Voltage (DC) it will just send 12V to the fans and keep them spinning at max.

I also recommend using this software, I have only been using it for a few days and its great.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If yours fan haves 4 pin connection set it to PWM, that way you can send signals to the fans to adjust the speed.
If its set to Voltage (DC) it will just send 12V to the fans and keep them spinning at max.

I also recommend using this software, I have only been using it for a few days and its great.

As soon as i set Sys2 fans for the front 3 to PVM in the Bios they went full speed which doesn't make sense to me, im missing something and i dont know what ?

Associate
OP
Post some screenshots of your fan settings - might be something obvious you've missed
Yes that Fan Control software was what i was using instead of the Bios for the past year but started to dig into the Bios as FC wasn't working (well thats was i was thinking anyhow) just now having started it again and the front fans remain dead when using the manual control slider until i adjust the slider and it hits 37 then they go full blast basically its either on or off, all other fans are responding as excepted etc

Associate
OP
Post some screenshots of your fan settings - might be something obvious you've missed
Here are some screenshots from Bios & Fan Control:
Sorry its not letting me insert the image directing i keep getting the error about parsing image etc so manual links it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think they are spinning at full speed as the T30 goes up to 3000 RPM ?
edit: that is the rear fan..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't think they are spinning at full speed as the T30 goes up to 3000 RPM ?
edit: that is the rear fan..
These fans have 3 modes by selecting a physical switch on the fan this is about Max for the mode its in, Sys2 are connected to the front 3 fans via daisy chain then extension cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here are some screenshots from Bios & Fan Control:
Sorry its not letting me insert the image directing i keep getting the error about parsing image etc so manual links it is.
After doing some googling ttry this maybe?

" The T30s have a hybrid mode which can be toggled on with a physical switch on the back of the fan. When enabled, they won't spin at lower rpms. Looks like one of them happened to have that enabled out of the box."

Associate
OP
After doing some googling ttry this maybe?

" The T30s have a hybrid mode which can be toggled on with a physical switch on the back of the fan. When enabled, they won't spin at lower rpms. Looks like one of them happened to have that enabled out of the box."
Yes ive checked previously and all 3 fans were put into 'Performance Profile' as every review ive seen suggest this as the best option:
  • Advanced profile:
    Speed: 3,000 ±150 rpm
    Delivery volume: 171.4 m³/h
    Static pressure: 7.11 mmH2O
    Loudness: 39.7 dB(A)
    Amperage: 0.36 A
    Power consumption: 4.32 W

• Performance profile:
    Speed: 2,000 ±100 rpm
    Delivery volume: 113.6 m³/h
    Static pressure: 3.3 mmH2O
    Loudness: 27.3 dB(A)
    Amperage: 0.13 A
    Power consumption: 1.58 W

• Hybrid profile:
    Speed: 1,200 ±75 rpm
    Delivery volume: 66.4 m³/h
    Static pressure: 1.27 mmH2O
    Loudness: 11.1 dB(A)
    Amperage: 0.05 A
    Power consumption: 0.55 W

• Operating voltage: 10.2 to 13.2 V
  • Connection: 4-pin PWM (daisy chain)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have no idea then I'm afraid maybe flick the switch and see what happens?
Sure ive tried that but going to do it again, normally im pretty good at solving this sort of thing but i am somewhat stumped as logically its not making any sense to me ATM Hmmm.

Associate
OP
Yeah have just tried that Hybrid mode again and no change part from the top fan stopped after a while whilst the bottom 2 carried on spinning at max, ive got a 4pin PVM fan hub coming hopefully that will sort out these problems instead of using extensions cables & splitter cables etc.

Associate
OP
So i just thought its got to be something to do with this Daisy Chain, i then unplugged one of the fans from the 3 fan loop to find that the Daisy Chain connector part on the fan is 3Pin but the standard cable that you normally use to say connect a single fan is 4pin if you see what i mean.

https://ibb.co/ygD8F8n here its these connectors on the fans that are 3pin whereas the regular ones are 4 pin, unless im missing something this seems rather a stupid design choice to me. So am i right in thinking in that configuration its going to run at full speed as ive been experiencing ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yup that was indeed the problem as unplugging a single fan from the Daisy Chain and plugging that fan directly into the same extension cable i can now set the Speed manually.

Soldato
That's odd really - the daisy chain links have 3 pins but they're not "3-pin fan connectors".

It's a 4-pin PWM cable with the tach (speed sense) wire removed. Because if more than one tach wire is connected to the motherboard, it will read double or triple the speed etc. The first fan in the chain should have the wire attached to its base cable and any ongoing connectors will have that pin disconnected.

It shouldn't affect the speed control really as that's down to either the voltage on pin 2 or the PWM control signal on pin 4. Tach is pin 3.

Back
Top Bottom