Case Fan Splitters

Associate
Im building my first PC and so far I have installed Six 4-pin PWM fans. My motherboard only has 2 sockets for case fans so I bought two 3-Way splitters. However the splitters only have one 4pin and two 3pin?

Will this make a difference or do should I get splitters with 4pins only?

Soldato
you need 4Pin ones. 4Pin is PWM 3pin doesnt have that control. you need to rely on motherboard DC volt regulator to ramp up and down which can only drive so many fans i think.

best to go with PWM less noise and better performances

Soldato
It should be perfectly fine.
The pins control Ground, +12v, tach and PWM. Usually the third (tach) pin is missing from all but one connector, otherwise you'd have three (slightly) different fan speeds being reported back to the one header and it gets messy.

Associate
Can you link us the splitter you have. Never seen on that has half and half.

Also worth just plugging it in and seeing if they are pwm. Might now need one of the pins from all of the fans.

Soldato
Im building my first PC and so far I have installed Six 4-pin PWM fans. My motherboard only has 2 sockets for case fans so I bought two 3-Way splitters. However the splitters only have one 4pin and two 3pin?

Will this make a difference or do should I get splitters with 4pins only?
Could you link us to an image of your splitter? My guess is it has a pin missing in the 3-pin sockets .. 2 pin, a blank, and 4th pin. the missing pin is rpm signal so only 1 can is sending rpm signal to motherboard.

Soldato
Get a decent powered splitter. That way it’s powered by the PSU. Can run several fans on these. Single Pwm cable connects to the motherboard to control them.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended-wc-9cq-ek.html

These are good. I use one myself & a Sata connector for power rather than molex.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £7.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Back
Top Bottom