• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Case Fans - Control by GPU temp

Permabanned
have 5900x its not so much about effecting performance its more about tweaking the system as best I can , it actually lowered idle temps 2-3c and using 10-15 less watts at idle yes its not massive difference but I can settle knowing I tweaked it best I can

Surely you get what I'm saying though? Its meaningless. A couple of degrees and 10 watts effects nothing and has zero real world difference. You are not "tweaking" anything, its just a program that uses resources to run and by not runnning it you are not using those resources.

Soldato
Surely you get what I'm saying though? Its meaningless. A couple of degrees and 10 watts effects nothing and has zero real world difference. You are not "tweaking" anything, its just a program that uses resources to run and by not runnning it you are not using those resources.

I wouldnt call it meaningless when you can setup and do the same thing while using less resources , there are threads about it on corsair forum page how icue uses more resources than other brands that do the same thing but you are right if you aint into the little details you aint gonna notice or mean much to you I only looked into it more is because I do leave my computer on idle a lot and the little spikes do cause zen 3 to boost up unnecessary

Associate
OP
I wouldnt call it meaningless when you can setup and do the same thing while using less resources , there are threads about it on corsair forum page how icue uses more resources than other brands that do the same thing but you are right if you aint into the little details you aint gonna notice or mean much to you I only looked into it more is because I do leave my computer on idle a lot and the little spikes do cause zen 3 to boost up unnecessary
Seems like the better saving would be to not leave your PC on idle?
I put my PC on standby all the time. It takes like 2s to go to sleep, and the monitor takes longer to wake up than the PC does.
Power use in standby is like 2W.

Your argument harks back to the days of XP and those "ram cleaners". Everybody always trying to be using as little memory as possible.
Why? If its empty its doing nothing.
Your 5900x has more than enough grunt to run all these things without anything taking a hit.
If your worried about its power use so much, and restricting programs to conserve its power, perhaps a lower-powered CPU would have been a better buy?

Soldato
Seems like the better saving would be to not leave your PC on idle?
I put my PC on standby all the time. It takes like 2s to go to sleep, and the monitor takes longer to wake up than the PC does.
Power use in standby is like 2W.

Your argument harks back to the days of XP and those "ram cleaners". Everybody always trying to be using as little memory as possible.
Why? If its empty its doing nothing.
Your 5900x has more than enough grunt to run all these things without anything taking a hit.
If your worried about its power use so much, and restricting programs to conserve its power, perhaps a lower-powered CPU would have been a better buy?

its out of habit leaving it on idle I only recently put the system together thats why I looked into it only time I do it , Its not something I constantly look into once I have the system running how I like I forget about it and just get on using the system , its like playing with the pbo2 on zen 3, yes I can leave it at stock but by using it I have lowered the temps system makes less noise while increasing stock performace slightly same thing I did with the GPU and I can settle with that yes it took me good week or 2 of trying to find what works now its done I can forget about it and hopefully use the system for good few years ahead

Associate
OP
its out of habit leaving it on idle I only recently put the system together thats why I looked into it only time I do it , Its not something I constantly look into once I have the system running how I like I forget about it and just get on using the system , its like playing with the pbo2 on zen 3, yes I can leave it at stock but by using it I have lowered the temps system makes less noise while increasing stock performace slightly same thing I did with the GPU and I can settle with that yes it took me good week or 2 of trying to find what works now its done I can forget about it and hopefully use the system for good few years ahead
I did likewise with PBO2, but spent bit less time on it. Yes it lowered temp ever so slightly, and did improve R20 and R23 scores nicely.
But...despite probably 12hrs+ of various stress tests wasnt 100% stable...
Had a blue screen mid-GTA-V heist!!
I also UV the GPU... so could have been that. But to rule things out I put the CPU to stock first. Given that it provides the least real-world benifit. (The GPU UV is much more valuable to me...reduces fan noise, and more importantly coil-whine!)
So far not had a blue screen in over 2 months... so Im inclined to believe it was the CPU :/
But then it did run fine for about 1 month UV'ed so it could all be unrelated.

Anyway... I realised my appetite for tweaking is much lower than in the early days of PC building. I guess working with computers all day too makes you kinda just want your home systems to "just work".
Not spend time fiddling just to reduce temps by 2-5c and improve scores by 4-5% in a meaningless bench.

Permabanned

I guess it does use more resources, I'm just saying with a CPU like yours you could have 10 instances running together and you would not even notice it to be honest. I'm fine with it being pointlessly inefficient as all 6 of my fans, my cooler, RAM and case are Corsair so it's a nice way to have everything synced up.

On thing I will say about it though (although not technically Icue as such) is that I bought the Icue LS100 lighting strips for the rear of my monitor and having them running through Icue or just running in general caused major stutter in games to the point that I couldnt use them and ended up selling them.

Soldato

Completely agree with this. Just spent 3 days trying to work out why my newly installed 5800x is running at 60c at desktop.

Turns out it's iCue. Keeps causing my cpu to boost. Removing iCue means at desktop I now range from 35-40c.

Could my system run 10 instances, yes. Would I want to, no. More cpu temps means more heat means more fans and noise. And lets face it, in no ones world should iCue be running a 5800x at full tilt to coordinate some lights

Soldato
Completely agree with this. Just spent 3 days trying to work out why my newly installed 5800x is running at 60c at desktop.

Turns out it's iCue. Keeps causing my cpu to boost. Removing iCue means at desktop I now range from 35-40c.

Could my system run 10 instances, yes. Would I want to, no. More cpu temps means more heat means more fans and noise. And lets face it, in no ones world should iCue be running a 5800x at full tilt to coordinate some lights

I ended up getting rid of the corsair ram and fans so could get away from needing icue just bought parts that the rgb can be controlled by the motherboard software and use fan control to set case fan curves

Soldato
I had the corsair case half price, the 220t which included a node and 3 preinstalled lights. RGB really not my thing. Might sell the node and fans and get some Noctua fans.

Back
Top Bottom