Case fans on case controller or Mobo headers?

Soldato
Hi all,
I have a Ryzen 2600X cooled by the NZXT Kraken X62 - it's fans and temps are controlled via a USB header and the CUE software.

The 280mm radiator is mounted vertically in the front of the case, with the 2x 140mm NZXT fans that came with the Kraken pulling air in and pushing through the radiator, into the case.

In the rest of my Cooltek W2 case, I've moved the 2x Be Quiet Silent Wings140mm fans to the bottom, pulling air in.
They're connected to the case's in-built controller (0v, 7v or 12v). Only the rear most fan spins (fan and controller cable have been tested and both are fine), whilst the forward-most fan is still.

I also have a single 120mm Silent Wings fan as an exhaust, connected to a Mobo header, above the GPU (EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra), which doesn't seem to be exhausting as well as it should.

There's a single 90mm fan above the SSDs in the rear compartment, exhausting out of the case - whether or not it's necessary, I don't know.

I know it's not ideal for cooling, but having three small Crotch-Frogs, I keep my rig in an IKEA Besta cabinet, as part of my AV setup. I open the door when the computer is on and I've mounted a 120mm Silent Wings fan to the back of the cupboard to help exhaust warm air - this is perpendicular to the 120mm exhaust fan in the case.

Setup is here (a stock image of the case, with a potato image of my setup)
http://imgur.com/gallery/8TkDNwc

I'd like to know if I'm better off putting the bottom two fans on their own Mobo headers? (mainboard is a Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming) as there's a few spare headers for water pumps &;fans if needed.

Soldato
Personally I would put them on headers - ideally fans should be able to speed up when there's a rise in temperature. Unless you have enough/good enough cooling that the system keeps temps down at a fixed speed, you need it to react to changes.

I have a bequiet case with a 5V/9V/12V switch for fans, and have combined this with a PWM signal splitter. So I have "Quiet mode" with 5V and a motherboard fan curve, or can switch the supply voltage up for better cooling at the expense of noise. TBH it's overcomplicated and I leave it on 5V. A decent fan curve should be enough.

Permabanned
Personally I would put them on headers

100%,
not only so the motherboard can ramp the fans when needed but you get fan fail warning.
if the fans are all PWM get one the sata power adapters so there not pulling all the power off the motherboard, there only a few ££'s and then you can put all the cables in the back.

Soldato
OP
100%,
not only so the motherboard can ramp the fans when needed but you get fan fail warning.
if the fans are all PWM get one the sata power adapters so there not pulling all the power off the motherboard, there only a few ££'s and then you can put all the cables in the back.

The Kraken takes power from a SATA connector, just sending PWM & Flow data to the header.

Do you have a link to a reasonably priced unit? Say for 6 fans.

Back
Top Bottom