Case suggestions please

Associate
Looking for a new ATX tower desktop case without top vents. No front mesh either. The room it will sit in gets very dusty and cases like that just are not viable and i do not particularly like them.

Design wise im looking for something like...
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-107-CA&groupid=2362&catid=2277
or
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-048-NX&groupid=2362&catid=2277
or
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-162-BX

Only with NO TOP vents and NO front mesh

I also want something plain looking, nothing that has weird sculpted angle fronts, looks like a rocket ship or kids toy, no bright colours either just black.

Budget is around £60 and that would be top end.

Internally tool-less would be nice, removable drive bays if possible for budget, though may be asking a lot for £60. It must also take atleast 4 HDDs

Anything out there folks :)

Caporegime
Fractal Design S?

It has a plain front, plain looking square shape and has a mod'u'vent system on top to hide the top mesh.

It hides all the drives at the rear behind the motherboard tray but I'm not sure how many 3.5" drives it can take, so maybe google that.

Associate
OP
Fractal Design S?

It has a plain front, plain looking square shape and has a mod'u'vent system on top to hide the top mesh.

It hides all the drives at the rear behind the motherboard tray but I'm not sure how many 3.5" drives it can take, so maybe google that.

Which exact Model are you refering to?

I have a fractal R4 with silverstone 140mm magnetic filters on the top I am very happy with it.

No good that has top vents, opposite to what im looking for. Current case has a couple of Demciflex filters on it and while that stops a lot of dust it still gets in eventually (have to clean it and fans inside every3-6 months or so which is bearable) and that case only has side vents, no mesh at all either. Top vents would be useless for me id be cleaning it out too often. Front mesh would probably be just as bad especially with a front fan to hoover it all inward.

PS Does nobody else have this issue with top vents/Mesh cases? I can not believe the internals stay clean even in a relatively speaking clean dust free location.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Which exact Model are you refering to?

There's only like two, with and without a window.

Opps yeah sorry missed the "S". Unfortunately only holds 3x 3.5" drives not possible to fit optical drive (i could live without it but compromise only so far).... Front is far too vented and the dust filter mesh like many manufacturers in the front is far too corse (my demciflex filters probably do a far superior job), top idea or the mod'u'vent system you mentioned looking at youtube reviews seems a good idea not sure how effective it would be though. Shame nice looking case but not quite what i want too many compromises at the top end of my budget.

Clean your room! ;)

While i see the winking smiley, before anyone says that seriously. The problem is due (or at least in part) to the room being very small with a large window. IE the room ends up like a green house when the sun shines in. heat rises and with it so does dust. Ahh science eh!

Its a spare room smaller than some bathrooms, even tried removing dust magnets called carpet and curtains from the room, nothing else is in it except this one server. Room is hoovered daily. It is just a naturally dusty room, much like a small cupboard or garage. I (or rather the mrs) can hoover it and fully dust it top to bottom one day and come late afternoon the following day once the sun has done its thing you can walk back in there and even see dust beginning to form on the lamp shade in the room. Nothing can be done about it.

Ive actually considered moving the system but that would require more internal network cabling and the relocation of 2 switches. Even then i still would not want a case with top vents and front mesh.......

Sorry im old and prefer function over latest trend or something the kids just thinks looks cool. If it was not for my current case having suffered a knock and a dent to the bottom (IE it no longer stands without a wobble) during a rebuild i would not even be looking for a new case, frankly a lot on the market just seem to be rubbish now. Hence this thread for suggestions.

Last edited:
Associate
No matter what you do you will get dust inside a pc case.

How you get around controlling how much is the important thing. Positive air pressure and good filters make more difference than a lack of mesh grill.

As examples, I too have a lot of dust here, family home with housing development going on in the area.
But my Silverstone TJ08B and Phanteks Mini XL cases have less dust ingress than a Gigabyte with no mesh.

I do have to clean dust filters often though.

Remember the less airflow the less cooling, the smaller the ventilation area the more fans have to work which in turn pulls in more dust more focused dust ingress gets.

Associate
OP
No matter what you do you will get dust inside a pc case.

I agree, its how much and how often that matters though.

How you get around controlling how much is the important thing. Positive air pressure and good filters make more difference than a lack of mesh grill.

I can not agree on that, another system i have is in a Coolermaster elite 334 case (was a prebuild) that is ok in a non-dusty room it sits, placing it in the same dusty room as the server system though is an utter disaster.

Dust gets hoovered in through the mesh at the front and the fans fins at the front of the case get caked in dust. Internally its not too bad with that case due to a rear fan but its not an option to have to every few days remove case fans to clean them.
As examples, I too have a lot of dust here, family home with housing development going on in the area.
But my Silverstone TJ08B and Phanteks Mini XL cases have less dust ingress than a Gigabyte with no mesh.

Im glad it works for you but unless i were to cover the front mesh i know from experience a case like the Silverstone with mesh and big sucking fan at front will not work for me.
I do have to clean dust filters often though.
That is ok and mine are cleaned every other day, the ones i have are a thin nylon mesh and a quick easy rinse under a tap has them clan again in seconds. The same can not be said for having to remove front panels and fans ;)
Remember the less airflow the less cooling, the smaller the ventilation area the more fans have to work which in turn pulls in more dust more focused dust ingress gets.

You are right but cooling is not an issue, which is surprising.

The system concerned is an old intel socket 775, Q8300 with a max consumption of 95 watts, it averages a temp of around 45 degrees (max safe is something like 70 so well within limits) and the CPU fan only has to spin at a max typically of around 1200RPM (could probably even lower than in the bios). It does not have a single case fan, has never needed it. Plus theres only room for 1 80mm case fan anyway which i doubt would give much if any further benefit.

There is no graphics card as its just a server role. Based on that it does not need additional cooling, in fact modern systems should need even less as they consume even less power and can run even cooler, which makes the current trend off cases with holes everywhere a bit more puzzling, only time i can understand the point is if you are running some monster graphics card which im not.

Hopefully someone has been in a similar boat and can recommend just a plain basic case without silly mesh and top vent gimmicks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hopefully someone has been in a similar boat and can recommend just a plain basic case without silly mesh and top vent gimmicks.

Well I thought I was explaining similar scenarios. I myself live in a dusty family home with three kids, and have dealt with loft PC installs, workshop, and kids rooms, and next to a huge window while the whole street was knocked down and rebuilt.

The Phanteks I have has a window, I can still see inside the PC, it has full mesh roof, a full mesh floor, full meshed rear, all meshed enough to take 3 120mm fans or 2 140mm fans on each section. And it has two front fans with a meshed section behind a panel. Two 140mm fans in front, one 140mm on rear, with a Noctua 120mm fan on the CPU cooler, and two fans on my MSI GPU. System is used every day for gaming etc.

To clean my filters, easy, the Silverstone just pushes out and can be hoovered or ran under a tap, and the Phanteks are sprung loaded. Easy as pie, as is the Fractal R4, no need to remove panels or floppy slap on magnetic flaps.

Right now I can write my name upon the shelf it sits on, but I am happy with the PC's filters and though there will be dust inside, I am fine with that as there is less dust inside the PC than there is on the outside.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, Fractal, though again I would recommend only using a front input fan to maintain a positive air pressure. As even with positive air pressure a case with a 360 meshed top will have little dust ingress.

For instance, I had a Silverstone GD02 running as an HTPC with a passive NT06 cooler and two rear mounted 80mm Sharkoon SE fans at quietest setting, GPU was a passive Powercolor HD5750.
It ran a stock E8500 and 4gb of Dominator GT, still got pretty hot, still filled with dust.

Same system in a TJ08 had no dust issue and was more than happy with the fan on low.

Q9550 system in a plain Gigabyte case that was exactly the same as your Coolermaster elite 334 internally, (the 334 has no filters), front and rear 120 fans, no GPU, the inside looked like a 6 year old ash tray no matter how often I cleaned it out. The most pathetic case I ever owned.

Same sytem in a Fractal Core 1000 with a single 120mm fan has no dust issues. But for a server I prefered the TJ08B as it's simple to clean the filter. The Core 1000 is a pain to clean.

So even if you do get a basic plain simple case, it is still worth thinking of positive air pressure within, as it stops any dust from getting sucked into unfiltered gaps in the case.

If I was building a server with an ATX motherboard, it would be a Fractal R4 or R5 with no window. The meshed panels are all sealed unless you remove the coverings to utilise them, the front is reasonably filtered, but importantly, easy to clean, it comes with two fans, I would either add a second front, or put the rear fan in front also to ensure positive air pressure.

If I was building a real server/workstation to live in the loft, it would be a Silverstone MM01 case.

I will say this again, cases such as Silverstone FT02B, TJ08B, and the like, they have large fans and real positive air pressure that pushes air out the case, and dust too to some degree, the filters are effective, but over time you do get a build up of fine dust. The best dust filters I have used have been on Silvertone and Phanteks, both very easy to clean, and the big Fractal R3/R4/R4 cases are the same, the R4 is an excellent case and was one of the most popular home server cases.

Any PC with a fan inside will pull dust into the case, any case with exaust fans only will pull dust into the case, only fans pushing air into a case offer more control over dust ingress, and then your filters and the room conditions are factors.
Even if your PC is not requiring a lot of cooling, it still generates heat, therefor your CPU cooler fan spins, the less airflow, the more it spins, and it always generates negative air pressure and will atract dust. Even a large grill with a large fan, as long as filtered will be more dust proof than a standard case with no fans. Because the air flow will be dictated by that front fan, and it will be filtered.

It's an urban myth that large front grills and big fans equate to dust. And all the front door offers is less noise in most cases. Mesh grills require dust filters, the more unobstructed air flow into a PC through dust filters, the less dust and and fan speed required.

Fractal R4 or R5 is probably the best. But before you condone their design and meshed panels, try using Google to watch some reviews. Personally it sounds like anything with a filtered intake is going to be better than what you currently have, also look up Google regarding dust within PC's and the benefits of positive air pressure, because so far your responses seem a little sharp and poorly informed. Sorry!

Regarding yor experience of meshed front panel cases, what cases have you been using and what are you replacing? How are you utilising your magnetic flappy mesh?

YOUR BASKET
1 x Silverstone SST-MM01B Mammoth Full Tower Chassis - Black (SST-MM01B) £259.99
1 x Silverstone Raven 3 Full Tower Windowed Case - Black/Gold (SST-RV03B-W USB 3.0) £91.99
1 x Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl £84.95
1 x Corsair Carbide 330R Ultra Silent Midi Tower Case - Blackout Edition (CC-9011076-WW) £79.99
1 x Fractal Design Define R4 Midi Tower Case - Black £72.95
1 x Cooler Master Silencio 452 - USB 3.0 ATX Case - SD Card Reader £64.99
1 x Antec P100 Mid Tower Silenced Computing Case £62.95
Total : £717.82 (includes shipping : Ex.VAT).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I thought I was explaining similar scenarios.

I thought i explained what works for you will not for me.
BIG SNIP

Regarding yor experience of meshed front panel cases, what cases have you been using and what are you replacing? How are you utilising your magnetic flappy mesh?

The current case which will be replaced has no mesh, again as explained. Another system i have with mesh panels AGAIN as explained which is in a Coolermaster elite 334 case suffers from dust issues the moment it is placed in the dusty room.
I can only conclude what your experience and what your opinions contradict what occurs for myself. There is no right and wrong, just your experience does not match mine. Its not short and snappy response its my experience, im glad what works for you does but what you are suggesting will not work fine for me... That simple, im sorry if that is considered blunt, short, snappy or any other such response.

The first is way out of my budget of £60 (as i explained)

The second external looks are not plain and simple looking and has weird sculpted front (AGAIN as explained in very first post not what i want) also again over budget

The third is not what i require either the filter for that is far too corse, all thats gonna stop is corse dust not fine horrid to remove stuff

The forth has what looks like a decent fine mesh front filter but none for the top

The fifth is basically just a minor difference in layout to the third (i dont want a fractal design case that i have decided on)

The sixth again has a far too corse filter in the front. Its basically no better than just a front mesh panel.

The seventh decent front filter poor top filter design.

In short none of them are what i am looking for, i simply want a case without mesh or top vents i do not see why that is a difficult thing to answer or why you wish to persist in changing my mind. I know what i want i just do not know of any products which is what the thread was for i can see now its gone off the rails immediately and thus is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My fractal r4 has very fine mesh on the filters, i didnt notice any change from reviews of the r5.

It is not very fine looking at the images on overclockers....
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/CA-040-FD_114012_800.jpg

There is also no filter or plastic bit to block the top vents (moduvent or whatever they call it) on the R4 either.

Compared to a demciflex filter thats nothing more than wire mesh.

I really do not know of any other way to say it is not suitable.

Unless someone can understand what i require i consider the thread dead and i obviously wasted my time. Stated what i did not want and then just got recommended exactly what i said i did not require LOL, im done with it will just get the dent removed from the old case.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Somewhat contrary to common wisdom the only way I have ever managed to keep the insides of a pc case anything like dust free is sealing it up pretty airtight (not easy) with any intake filtered and "negative" pressure instead of positive - even then it builds up eventually just takes a lot longer.

Pretty much a losing battle.

Associate
At least people are making the effort to actually give some input.

The reason you are asking for help is because you cant find something yourself. Dont be surprised that other people are struggling to find your dream case.

You are quite annoyingly rude to be honest. What a stinking attitude for someone to take on people who have just spent their time giving you options. Regardless of how suitable they are to your ridiculous needs.

Associate
OP
Somewhat contrary to common wisdom the only way I have ever managed to keep the insides of a pc case anything like dust free is sealing it up pretty airtight (not easy) with any intake filtered and "negative" pressure instead of positive - even then it builds up eventually just takes a lot longer.

Pretty much a losing battle.

Yep you are of course right, currently i have to clean the fans and give the case a blast of air every few months, without the demciflex filters on the vented side panel its a matter of weeks. I can only image how bad it would be with a front mesh panel AND top vents.

At least people are making the effort to actually give some input.

Indeed and i appreciated it right up to the point the same person keeps telling me im wrong and what i should buy even after i said no several times.
The reason you are asking for help is because you cant find something yourself. Dont be surprised that other people are struggling to find your dream case.

I already acknowledged i can not find what i am looking for.
You are quite annoyingly rude to be honest. What a stinking attitude for someone to take on people who have just spent their time giving you options. Regardless of how suitable they are to your ridiculous needs.
I never asked people to spend their time recommending stuff i specifically did not ask for. I doubt you would be polite for long if you walked into a restaurant asked the waiter for recommendations on things without beef in it and he walks back out trying to serve you a cheese burger.

PS... Thanks to another forum i have some good options now, rather than what sounded like a Fractal Design salesman. A Bitfenix Merc Beta or a Comrade look far more suitable, no silly vents on top of the case. The only downside to the Comrade is only 3x 3.5" drives but apart from that the rest of it looks far more ideal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tempted to try an air purifier myself (the better ones apparently filter most of the dust out the air) - having several systems running it just seems to pull dust from the rest of the house into the room :( and hence into the cases.

Soldato
If the mesh was any finer there would be next to no airflow getting past it, my R4 definitely has screw in covers on the side and two top vents to seal them when not in use, not only do they block them but they have sound proofing on them.

Back
Top Bottom